Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 11:58:27 AM EDT
In preparation for the higher gas prices and with all of the mileage I drive per day in my commute, I decided to supplement my 12 mpg F250 with a 2002 VW TDI.

A local guy was selling it for $1000, it hadn't run in 6 months and I already knew the problem it had from talking to him.  $26 and some of my labor later and it seems to be all fixed up.

But... I have no idea how to title/register now.  I just made an appointment with the DMV but that won't happen until 4/22.  I'm not at all interested in mailing this title to Richmond just to have it lost somewhere.

Did they ease restrictions on registrations and such and I'm okay to drive without plates?  Should I put some kind of temp plate on it?  Or should I put the actual plate that came off my 2012 TDI that is valid until May on it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally FUBARed, appointment only.  Look for the DMV Selects and smaller operations.  As of march 30th, Mid May is the earliest appointment at a Select.

Only way to get paper plates is thru a dealer.  You can get trip plates for a couple of days to get it inspected or move it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad died on 2/21. I got his mobile home and car.
Lynchburg DMV didn't have an apt available until 4/19, checked Bedford and they had one 3/22. Check 3/19 early in the morning and bedford ended up having an opening @ 3:30 3/19. Just make the earliest apt you can and keep checking for cancellations. It sucks but it is what it is. The bedford DMV lady was extremely helpful since we couldn't find the title to the trailer.
I made apts for all three dates then just cancelled the other 2 once I was sure that the 3/19 apt would be all I needed, since i was dealing with an heir type of thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that the DMV in Mineral takes walk-ins. I am not sure how far that is for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I did my last two through the mail, sent the forms off with my bill of sale and a couple weeks later plates and a title showed up. Easy. It's exactly like doing it at the counter it just takes longer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a car in Michigan in February.  The earliest I could get an appointment to do everything I need to here in nova was 4/21.  Then my wife decided we needed to buy a new house.  I called the DMV to see if I should keep the original appointment and then change the address later, or change my appointment.  They changed my appointment to the end of May.  So I’m driving around on Michigan temp tags that expired on 3/6.  I’ve got the email that proves all of that, as well as all of the paperwork I need to register etc in the car with me.  I figured if I got stopped all I could do is show the officer that stuff and explain what’s happened.

So far I have not been stopped.  I drove to Florida and back last week and didn’t get stopped on the trip either.

I have a buddy who works for a Subaru dealership.  He said they’ve been told cops aren’t ticketing right now for expired temp tags.  Who knows if that’s true, but so far so good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top