Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 9:39:22 AM EDT
Drones flying over Arlington to measure deer population
This is from an email out of the county's Parks & Rec.
We’d like your help notifying your community.  The drones will be flying over Arlington beginning a half hour before sunrise April 5 (weather permitting) each day until 30 minutes after sunset until the survey is completed.  They will not be flying at night.  The survey could take up to two weeks but is weather dependent. Drones are not permitted to fly over Arlington except for very limited instances. Arlington has coordinated the project with US Department of Homeland Security, Federal Aviation Association (FAA), Transportation Security Administration, Ronald Reagan National Airport, and Arlington County Police Department (ACPD). In accordance with FAA guidelines, ACPD will be onsite monitoring the drone flights.  
View Quote

They officially said they want my help.  Any suggestions to sow panic amongst the Karens and Kens?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Dress up as sasquatch and chase some deer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We’d like your help notifying your community.  The drones will be flying over Arlington beginning a half hour before sunrise April 5 (weather permitting) each day until 30 minutes after sunset until the survey is completed.  They will not be flying at night.  The survey could take up to two weeks but is weather dependent. Drones are not permitted to fly over Arlington except for very limited instances. Arlington has coordinated the project with US Department of Homeland Security, Federal Aviation Association (FAA), Transportation Security Administration, Ronald Reagan National Airport, and Arlington County Police Department (ACPD). In accordance with FAA guidelines, ACPD will be onsite monitoring the drone flights.  
View Quote

They officially said they want my help.  Any suggestions to sow panic amongst the Karens and Kens?
View Quote

Notice they forgot about all the Federal Property in Arlington, like the Pentagon, State Department training center
in Arlington off RT 50, and the numerous other areas.

Another hair brained big government scheme.
Typical for the People Democratic Republic of Arlingtoon.

This is the kind of thing you consult with the state for.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
With all the coordination needed between federal agencies, Arlington needs to use drones to monitor the deer population?
Boots on ground and trail cams too complicated?
Reminds me of a saying about pissing and weather reports.
Wonder what the ultimate intended purpose is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With all the coordination needed between federal agencies, Arlington needs to use drones to monitor the deer population?
View Quote

See, those are the types of rumors we need to start spreading!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Some combination of this, with this?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The second one has strong potential.
I wonder what Gary Larson would suggest?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I started the rumor last week that the drone footage was being used for the upcoming real estate assessments, and that zoning was looking for unpermitted extensions.  

This morning, an old neighbor repeated it to me, so . . . .

SUCCESS!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a chat with one of the county biologists a while back. Arlington's deer population is out of control, but with the anti-hunting crowd in the county, there's been little support for a deer management program. The drone survey will hopefully provide some visual evidence.
I ran into a herd of does a few weeks back on a dog walk; like 20 of them running behind some houses.
Just no local predators except the minivan, and with the amount of driving down due to Covid, collisions were probably down last year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You see it is all about wording. They could say they were "officially" counting the deer population, but just so happen along the way noticed something very suspicious that required a search warrant. It would 100% hold up in court because they would argue that they were counting deer population but just so happened came across whatever it is they saw during the course of that. They'd just show some previous videos of them recording a deer walking or some tally sheet they have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a chat with one of the county biologists a while back. Arlington's deer population is out of control, but with the anti-hunting crowd in the county, there's been little support for a deer management program. The drone survey will hopefully provide some visual evidence.
I ran into a herd of does a few weeks back on a dog walk; like 20 of them running behind some houses.
Just no local predators except the minivan, and with the amount of driving down due to Covid, collisions were probably down last year.
View Quote

If I remember right in California they would send out "kill squads" to get rid of over populations. Usually police SWAT sniper trainees with suppressed weapons getting "real world" experience by way of deer (or whatever it may be). That translate to them having the advantage at getting citizens.

They're not going to issue hunting permits, if you're hoping for that. It's "too dangerous" for regular people to hunt, so says the king.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't dealt with the Arlington County board in 7 or 8 years, but when I did (on neighborhood crime and zoning issues) it was the staff that called the shots and ran the agendas.

And they were fucking looney tunes true believers in whatever cause they were regulating.  

It wouldn't surprise me a hard core PETA or two made it to key staffing positions and blocked any sort of meaningful deer management.

If the residents really wanted to address the deer problem, they should have just offered Chris Zimmerman a stake and kickbacks in a newly formed urban hunting company.  That MF was corrupt as hell, but at least when he was bought, he stayed bought.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The Master Naturalist has a compelling presentation and web page recommending deer management

Unlike Fairfax, Arlington has a lot of smaller parks with small acreage right in the middle of housing. Night hunting with suppressors will be a no-no,  and even bowhunting will be difficult in some areas. If ever they adopt a program, I could see a short window for a managed hunt, or evening hunt only.

The Karen factor is just too high around here.  Lady called the police yesterday on an 11-year old autistic kid who dresses up in ww2 camo and plays by himself with a plywood gun cutout in the woods of a park. Could have been a tragic ending and she was on Nextdoor saying "I feared for my family". I'm having a hard time seeing a hunter in camo dragging a deer out of the woods in daylight around here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Master Naturalist has a compelling presentation and web page recommending deer management

Unlike Fairfax, Arlington has a lot of smaller parks with small acreage right in the middle of housing. Night hunting with suppressors will be a no-no,  and even bowhunting will be difficult in some areas. If ever they adopt a program, I could see a short window for a managed hunt, or evening hunt only.

The Karen factor is just too high around here.  Lady called the police yesterday on an 11-year old autistic kid who dresses up in ww2 camo and plays by himself with a plywood gun cutout in the woods of a park. Could have been a tragic ending and she was on Nextdoor saying "I feared for my family". I'm having a hard time seeing a hunter in camo dragging a deer out of the woods in daylight around here.
View Quote

Arlington has been a People's Democratic Republic for a long time now.

Tell them to buy extra yard plants.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I remember right in California they would send out "kill squads" to get rid of over populations. Usually police SWAT sniper trainees with suppressed weapons getting "real world" experience by way of deer (or whatever it may be). That translate to them having the advantage at getting citizens.

They're not going to issue hunting permits, if you're hoping for that. It's "too dangerous" for regular people to hunt, so says the king.
View Quote

Rumor is that FFX PD is doing that in some of the gun-free zone parks in Fairfax county too. Because they don't have enough takers for their urban archery program.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Rumor is that FFX PD is doing that in some of the gun-free zone parks in Fairfax county too. Because they don't have enough takers for their urban archery program.
View Quote

I'm not an archer, so this is definitely a question, but I thought the requirements to get into the hurdles or requirements to get into the urban archer program were high/difficult, so that kept people from taking them up on it?  I'm curious if the requirements are reasonable?

Also, too many idiots in FFX County can't comprehend that the deer are over-populated and need to be thinned because they are just so darn cute, and how could you ever kill something so cute?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not an archer, so this is definitely a question, but I thought the requirements to get into the hurdles or requirements to get into the urban archer program were high/difficult, so that kept people from taking them up on it?  I'm curious if the requirements are reasonable?

Also, too many idiots in FFX County can't comprehend that the deer are over-populated and need to be thinned because they are just so darn cute, and how could you ever kill something so cute?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairfax is more reasonable than Arlington WRT management.  They do archery, public hunts and use police sharp shooters.  They also tested the whole sterilization scheme and found it lacking.  

I don't know more about the archery program than what's on the web site, but the hike route we take on Tuesdays was part of it.   Last night, we saw at least eight deer in three different groups over the three mile path.  Something tells me there are more to be gotten out there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, this thread is about shenanigans to sow panic amongst the Karens and Kens.

Stop being reasonable about deer herd management!

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fairfax is more reasonable than Arlington WRT management.  They do archery, public hunts and use police sharp shooters.  They also tested the whole sterilization scheme and found it lacking.  

I don't know more about the archery program than what's on the web site, but the hike route we take on Tuesdays was part of it.   Last night, we saw at least eight deer in three different groups over the three mile path.  Something tells me there are more to be gotten out there.
View Quote

I remember the first time Fairfax was going to have SWAT participate.

They did not realize they have to be .23 or larger rifles.

Even for thinning operations.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I would love to know how they got approval to fly within the 5nm radius of airports.

Must be nice to of "coordinated" with FAA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Put out decoys.

Remember, they only have to look real from above.

Re-arrange daily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top