Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2021 12:03:58 PM EDT
The Governor signed into law a bill this week abolishing the death penalty.

I find it humorous that Senator Surovell states that it was done so fast and due to criminal justice reform and racial reform. That is a bunch of crap, it was done because one party runs both houses of the GA along with the AG, Lt. Gov. and Gov. It had nothing to do with reform.

I would have been all in on reform of the death penalty so we ensure that the person executed was the guilty party. In my opinion there needs to be a very high bar to meet in order to use the death penalty. I feel there are some crimes so heinous and so wrong that the perpetrator deserves to be executed.

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/northam-signs-historic-bill-abolishing-death-penalty-virginia
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I find it humorous that Senator Surovell states that it was done so fast and due to criminal justice reform and racial reform. That is a bunch of crap, it was done because one party runs both houses of the GA along with the AG, Lt. Gov. and Gov. It had nothing to do with reform.

I would have been all in on reform of the death penalty so we ensure that the person executed was the guilty party. In my opinion there needs to be a very high bar to meet in order to use the death penalty. I feel there are some crimes so heinous and so wrong that the perpetrator deserves to be executed.

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/northam-signs-historic-bill-abolishing-death-penalty-virginia
View Quote

I agree with your sentiments.

There have been a decent number of exonerations from DNA, sometime many years after that fact.

At the same time there are some cases involving multiple deaths that are unquestionable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There have been a decent number of exonerations from DNA, sometime many years after that fact.

At the same time there are some cases involving multiple deaths that are unquestionable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no issues with he DC sniper being executed, it was clear he was a serial killer. Other cases I would need to take on a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have no issues with he DC sniper being executed, it was clear he was a serial killer. Other cases I would need to take on a case by case basis.
View Quote

The requirements that were in place just to make one eligible for the death penalty were pretty strict- a murder by itself was not sufficient, it had to be a specifically enumerated capital offense, then the Commonwealth had to prove certain aggravators to make the defendant death eligible, and the defense had a shit ton of latitude to present mitigation evidence.  While I can concede that it was probably abused in the past, in recent history anybody that was sentenced to death in VA earned it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Governor Northam is considering a bill that would reduce Murder by using a firearm to Vandalism; shooting into occupied clothing.
Yes, this is satire but for a moment you went WTF?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The requirements that were in place just to make one eligible for the death penalty were pretty strict- a murder by itself was not sufficient, it had to be a specifically enumerated capital offense, then the Commonwealth had to prove certain aggravators to make the defendant death eligible, and the defense had a shit ton of latitude to present mitigation evidence.  While I can concede that it was probably abused in the past, in recent history anybody that was sentenced to death in VA earned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with what you said, I just want to make sure the right person is paying for the crime.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree with what you said, I just want to make sure the right person is paying for the crime.
View Quote

In 15 years of practice, I saw one person get sentenced to death, and there was no doubt in anybody's mind he did it and he deserved it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richmond_spree_murders

I certainly understand the need to be absolutely sure though.  I do think we should keep it, but reserve it for these types of cases. Some folks are just too evil to keep around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the reaodsns SCOTUS 'paused' the death penalty.

"Case by case" makes it appear arbitrary.
Who makes those decisions?
Using what criteria?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Using what criteria?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using what criteria?

Case by case may have been a poor choice of words on my part.
I think there needs to be a strict set of criteria that the case must meet in ID'ing the perpetrator or perpetrators. I think the state has already set a good job of setting criteria for what crimes do and don't meet the need for the death penalty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In 15 years of practice, I saw one person get sentenced to death, and there was no doubt in anybody's mind he did it and he deserved it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richmond_spree_murders

I certainly understand the need to be absolutely sure though.  I do think we should keep it, but reserve it for these types of cases. Some folks are just too evil to keep around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you whole heartily, especially the part in red.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of compassion for criminals. Wonder what it would look like if someone killed a member of your family. Or would it be a case by case basis?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of compassion for criminals. Wonder what it would look like if someone killed a member of your family. Or would it be a case by case basis?
View Quote

And if your family member was the accused? Wouldn't you want the state to be sure before imposing a sentence that can't be reversed?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Were has there been compassion for criminals in this thread? A few of us have expressed that we want to make sure the right person is executed for the crimes committed and not some innocent person.

As for the jab at me, not sure why you did that. I already stated my choice of words was poor. And before you go any further, I had a friend that was a police officer murdered on duty. He was shot in the back of the head so I am fully aware of the ramifications of violent crime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top