Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 1:06:06 PM EDT
I have the possible opportunity to buy about 400 acres of land that was clear cut last Fall.  It is adjacent to other land I own.    Land is in Suffolk Virginia.

The parcel is a mess  .  Huge ruts from skidders and tree tops everywhere.  Nothing was cleaned up. mostly just run down by skidders.    Has 1 possible 2 old houses that need torn down.

Of the 400 acres about 100 are swamp land and a large swampy pond.

I would only use this as hunting land so no need thinking about development.

What kind of value would you place upon an acre?

I purchase 143 acres of 12 year old regrowth woodland for 189K 5 years ago for reference.

From what I see most normal/buildable/farmable land is around 2-3K per acre locally.

thanks

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
We sold a little over 100 acres in New Kent county last year for $400K. Timber was 28 years old from the last cutting, mixed pine and hardwoods. No road frontage. Property was bordered to the east by a creek and swamp. With the amount of swamp you have I would say no more than $1K to $1.5 K per acre. We entertained timbering our property before selling, but were advised against it. The individual who bought our place plans to use it for hunting. He may build a house for himself and another for his son. He told us, had it been timbered he would not have been interested. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I own 350 acres in Southhampton county.  If its on the edge of Suffolk out that way, a lot of that stuff went to county auction for cheap.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
No more than 1800$ an acre. It wasn't replanted correct?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
No, not replanted.  

It is a mess.  Full of tree tops, huge ruts full of water from the excavators and skidders, etc.  The entire property has nothing over 2 feet tall standing right now.

Property only good for growing pines and hunting.  Really no development can take place.

Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

I want the land to hunt.  The current owner is a tree/wood company, they want to harvest trees.

How about I give them like $3-500 per acre AND they keep the tree rights for the next cut.  Next cut would be 20-25 years from now.  After that cut all rights transfer to me.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, not replanted.  

It is a mess.  Full of tree tops, huge ruts full of water from the excavators and skidders, etc.  The entire property has nothing over 2 feet tall standing right now.

Property only good for growing pines and hunting.  Really no development can take place.

Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

I want the land to hunt.  The current owner is a tree/wood company, they want to harvest trees.

How about I give them like $3-500 per acre AND they keep the tree rights for the next cut.  Next cut would be 20-25 years from now.  After that cut all rights transfer to me.  
View Quote
If they were getting the next cut rights, I'd offer way low for sure. Start at 300 and give yourself a high point to stop at. Any sign of them planting pines in the near future?

Another thing to think about when it comes to your time to cut your trees you get planted in roughly 25 years, how old will you be in 45 years? Will you still be around? Who will get the property when you kick the bucket?

My grandfather manages timber tracts ranging from 60 acres to over 10k acres all over Virginia and Carolina. After this ice storm I'll get with him and see what he thinks about it and report back
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
4H,

Thanks.   let me know what Dad says.

I am 56 right now.  So when they cut the trees (20 years or so) I would hopefully still be around.  

When I kick the bucket my kids will own the property and use it for hunting only.  

That would also give them a source of income for retirement when they cut the trees in 40+ years.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If the trees that were cut were planted pines (Loblolly pine) the owner is required to replant the land back or clear it for ag or development. The Seed Tree Law of Virginia requires this.
If you fail to replant the pines the State can plant it and charge you up to $240/acre for having this done by contractors. That being said I would suggest you contact the local forester with the Virginia Department of Forestry for their advice on this matter.
Don't get stuck in this pitfall that could catch you with extra bills above the cost of the land.

Va. code sections 10.1-1162 thru 10.1-1169 spell out the seed tree law and procedures.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Ph,

Thanks for the info.

The land was a mixture of pines and hardwoods.  It was random natural regeneration type growth.  

As a matter of fact tons of oak trees were flattened and we lost all the acorn mast for the deer.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Talked to my grandfather today. He said the 100 acres of swampy land should go for no more than 300 an acre.

As for the rest of the roughly 300 acres (and he said this is just a bullshit ballpark because he's not looking at the actual property) it could range from 800-2000 an acre. If there's suitable land for development on site, that pushes the value up closer to 1500-2000.

If your serious about this buy, I would find a timber guy local to come look at it and give it a value. I wish I could help more, but good luck!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the information.  I will have someone knowledgeable take a look before I tender an offer.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Very off topic, but OP what are you looking to hunt mainly on a property like that? I feel like its hard to manage that much land.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes,  it will be just hunting property.  This will bring me up to about 650 acres total.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very off topic, but OP what are you looking to hunt mainly on a property like that? I feel like its hard to manage that much land.
View Quote

We currently hunt Deer, Bears, Turkey, Crows, Coyotes, Rabbits, Bobcats,, squirrels.  This would be an extension of the current area we own.

Managing would only be cutting/maintaining of shooting lanes and placing of tree stands.  The land and trees would just be left to nature to regrow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Deer LOVE a cutover. I've shot more deer in a cutover than any else
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We currently hunt Deer, Bears, Turkey, Crows, Coyotes, Rabbits, Bobcats,, squirrels.  This would be an extension of the current area we own.

Managing would only be cutting/maintaining of shooting lanes and placing of tree stands.  The land and trees would just be left to nature to regrow.
View Quote

Shot you a Pm OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top