Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 11:41:14 AM EDT
To be clear here:  NOT headlights.  I'm leaving those as halogen.

What exactly is the acceptance in inspections for properly-colored amber front and rear led turn signals to replace halogen bulbs?

Again, proper color, properly flashing.  Amber led in place of amber halogen.  And rear red led brake lights.  No wiring being modified either.  I'm not changing the headlight bulbs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say about the turn signal part, but we replaced my wife's brake lights with LED.  They were only a hair dimmer than the standard bulbs but have been passing for the last 5-7 (don't remember) years.

The one thing about replacing turn signal type bulbs is I've read "it depends" with regard to how the circuit manages the flash.  Some are resistance based so going to an LED will never trigger the on/off functionality.  It's based on how the vehicle employs the circuit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't say about the turn signal part, but we replaced my wife's brake lights with LED.  They were only a hair dimmer than the standard bulbs but have been passing for the last 5-7 (don't remember) years.

The one thing about replacing turn signal type bulbs is I've read "it depends" with regard to how the circuit manages the flash.  Some are resistance based so going to an LED will never trigger the on/off functionality.  It's based on how the vehicle employs the circuit.
View Quote

The turn signals have built-in resistors.  No forward projectors on them either as some bulbs have.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the inspector, in theory, no LEDs except what is factory or factory option.  I got called because of a rear license plate bulb converted to an LED.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top