Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Still seats available!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a minimum age for the course?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Typically, we suggest that the student be at least 14y/o due to the subject matter. There are two or three graphic images of actual trauma and two 30sec video clips.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically, we suggest that the student be at least 14y/o due to the subject matter. There are two or three graphic images of actual trauma and two 30sec video clips.
View Quote

Gotcha, he's a little under that. I don't think he'd have issues with that sort of thing, but I'll put some thought into it before I drop the trigger on him. Obviously just a useful thing for him to start learning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Still spots available!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Extremities have always been easy.

Tourniquets work.
Abdominal, chest, and ahead wounds are often still the most lethal.
The odds of hitting a major blood vessel in the chest increases with penetration depth.
And while handgun rounds rarely have the large wound channel of rifle rounds,
you only have to hit one very large vessel in the chest or lungs to produce a bleed that can kill in minutes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Paypal/Venmo was a PITA but I got two payments in for us both. Looking forward to being there next Friday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My son and I went to this class on Friday. Was a nice drive from Spotsylvania. Grabbed dinner on the way and got there about 25 minutes early. We sat in the car as the temperature was plummeting from the cold front coming in. We went down from the parking lot and grab spots in the classroom. Immediately grabbed coffee as it was freezing inside but was pretty decent by the time we started the class at 6. Mr. Watson did a great job with the class: he presented the information in an easy to understand format, encouraged questions and provided great answers, and kept everyone involved and awake with some decent humor. My son, being 13, was a little bored by the lecture and PowerPoints but really got a lot out of the practical exercises and the fact that we were trying to perform under time stress. I'd have him run through it first while I watched, just in case he missed something or had a problem but he applied a tourniquet to himself and packed wounds with no trouble at all. He actually corrected me when we were doing the chest seal since I had just peeled it straight off the backer instead of doing it halfway and removing it the backer while I was applying it.

I greatly enjoyed the refresher and getting more information that's newer; most of my aid knowledge came from doing EIB training and CLS training in the military, so seeing more up to date ways of wound treatment was great. I'd strongly suggest to course for anyone that needs some formal training or a refresher when it comes to bleeding. The class was about half younger folks and half older (40+, probably most of them in their 60s or more it looked, which I hope I'm not unknowingly insulting anyone. )

I've already been researching prices for fleshing out my IFAK and rebuilding my boo-boo bag I used to carry in the car to incorporate a lot of what was covered in the course. Definitely worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
GuyKeefer
Thanks for the write up! It was great having you and your son in class. Hopefully, I'll see you out on the range sometime for one of our firearms courses.
V/R
Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top