User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The true native folks on Tangier still speak a weird sort of Elizabethan English dialect.
View Quote

my Mother has been there a few times,  but had no issue with the accents,

I've not had the pleasure yet to go there
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
you realize Va was settled by the British at Jamestown before the Mayflower?

Virginia named after Queen Elizabeth I  and was a big state for a long while,  so English names in the area are pretty much a given,

those yankees are from a similar heritage  BTW,,   they just went a bit rogue over the years
View Quote
I do indeed.  But it's awfully weird that so many roads / places / things in VA, and even other states, are named after british places even as they're built in the present.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Conversely in that area they are spot on with the pronunciation of Botetourt and the locals will give you the French history as they love to pull people over on I81......I assumed it was some Appalachian twang, sounding like a desert.

The Buena Vista one is the only one that gets to me....maybe because it could've been a great little mountain town if not lead by idiots that put PD and FD up for collateral  for a failed golf course.
View Quote

Places Known to Highpointers

Botetourt - "BOT-a-tot". Possibly the most non-obvious pronunciation in the bunch.
The nice thing is that is sort of rhymes within itself.

Buchanan - This one depends on context. First is Buchanan County, home of Big A Mtn. It is properly pronounced "buh-CAN-on" (almost "buh-cannon"). Next is the town of Buchanan, in Botetourt County. Again pronounced "bu-CAN-on". Finally, there is James Buchanan, 15th US president, and pronounced "BEW-can-on". Some things are not easily explained. Similarly, exactly why Buchanan is in Botetourt County is not obvious, but then again Dickensonville is in Russell County.

Buena Vista - "BEW-na VIS-ta" or "BV". Pronounced as "BWAY-na VEES-ta" or "BWAY-na VIS-ta"
and you are talking about somewhere else.

Here is the link too Link It is pronounced the same as Buena Vista Colorado
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Once upon a time I heard a railway worker over a scanner say "Nawwwwfuck" and I can't say it any other way.

I'm from down the valley and I always have said it as Roan-oak... am I screwed up?
View Quote

You can't help it....you're from Cat A Waba!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Being from SE, N C but having spent  a fair bit of my youth and teenage and early career in tidewater here are my observations:

Out is pronounced as "oat"

Trout is pronounced as "troat"

Flounder is pronounced as "flown-

derr"

About is pronounced as " a boat"

Lots of heavy old English brogue accent around the lower bay in Gloucester County around Mobjack Bay and Guinea Neck.

Anyone here from Guinea Neck?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Naxera while I went to Gloucester high school, but my sweetie lived in Severn, which is as far down in to Guinea as you can get.

Well.... maybe Maryus is a little farther. But not by much.

A couple years later, I lived for a while in Bena. Good times there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top