Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 1:01:20 PM EDT
Finishing up moving into NOVA, and trying to switch from my prior state's CCW to my VA CCW.  Online, it mentions that forms of hunter safety stuff might be accepted as proof of competence with firearms, but before I photocopy it and send off with a $50 bank check into the ether, I wanted to check to see if this has worked for anyone.  If not, I have to get my old states state police to send me proof of prior training for its CCW, which can delay the process.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Finishing up moving into NOVA, and trying to switch from my prior state's CCW to my VA CCW.  Online, it mentions that forms of hunter safety stuff might be accepted as proof of competence with firearms, but before I photocopy it and send off with a $50 bank check into the ether, I wanted to check to see if this has worked for anyone.  If not, I have to get my old states state police to send me proof of prior training for its CCW, which can delay the process.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Down in southwest Virginia, my Hunter's Safety certification card that I received back in middle school was good enough to stand of proof of my competence with firearms.  NOVA results may vary
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Down in southwest Virginia, my Hunter's Safety certification card that I received back in middle school was good enough to stand of proof of my competence with firearms.  NOVA results may vary
View Quote

That last line is what I'm worried about.  That, and the fact that my hunters safety card is from MI, several years ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a photo copy of my MI hunters safety from 1996 to get my CHP in Arlington County.  I did not have any issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
When I first applied in Arlington back in the 90's, I submitted my hunter safety card from a decade earlier in PA.  They grumbled but accepted it.

If I remember correctly,  the reason I used that instead of more current training certificates was the VCDL put out an alert that Arlington was playing shenanigans, with applications and they wanted reports from members if they went outside the rules.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]
proof of training never expires in VA.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
proof of training never expires in VA.
View Quote

Awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top