Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 7:49:07 PM EDT
I've been hearing booms all day.  Since around 0500 this morning to just a few minutes ago.  Sometimes one, sometimes 2 or 3 after another and then another one, or more, or quiet for several minutes, then they start again.

I thought blasting at a quarry at first but they could have dug a hole to China by now if that's what it was.

When I was reloading in the garage some of them would jar the windows.

The dogs have been acting funny over it all day.  Pacing around the pen, stopping to sit down and look around instead of lying in the warm sun and taking a nap.

Curious, I am.  Anyone know what is going on?  Anyone else in the area hearing them?  I'm about 20 miles south of Richmond, west of Chester,  south of the courthouse.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Still going on.  Some of them makes the pictures on the wall rattle just a little bit.  Been going on at least 17 hours now.

The first one, this morning, I thought was a transformer blowing up somewhere and kept expecting the lights to go out.  Nothing happened except more booms a few seconds later.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Russian artillery?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The sound of freedom from ft picket?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The sound of freedom from ft picket?
View Quote

Could be.  I've lived here for over 31 years, same house, never noticed anything like it before.  My nephew lives about 12 miles away (farther south and east) and they say it is rattling the stuff hanging on their walls.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.nbc12.com/story/34004069/loud-booms-originated-from-fort-pickett
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My son was there to qualify with the M2 a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought I was going crazy.

288 and hull here

kept hearing a low thunder sound
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I was out cruising timber in Dinwiddie about 10 miles from Pickett and they were having a grand old time that day.  I always hope the ROs make sure the open end of the barrels are pointed the right way
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
They often move impact areas around on larger bases.

You may not hear them for years until the cloud cover (and thermals they represent) are in just the right position between the impact area and you location.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top