Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 9:26:40 AM EDT
I have an 50" LED light bar on my Jeep and was just ticketed by the state police as "they are illegal in VA".

Huh???

Law section quoted was 46.2-1003. I read it and reads that I can't be using them on-road, not that they are illegal.

He said they wouldn't pass inspection, either. However, THE DEALER INSTALLED THEM!  And has inspected and passed my Jeep!

He said it's a $35 ticket and not a moving violation, but the 20" LED attached to my bumper was a mandatory court appearance (which he was going to give me a break in ticketing).  No clue why I'd have to go to court on a winch mounted LED bar that isn't even being used on the highway.

Have I just been lucky for 2+ years?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
46.2-1003. Illegal use of defective or unsafe equipment.

It shall be unlawful for any person to use or have as equipment on a motor vehicle operated on a highway any device or equipment mentioned in § 46.2-1002 which is defective or in unsafe condition.

§ 46.2-1002. Illegal possession or sale of certain unapproved equipment.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess with intent to sell or offer for sale, either separately or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, or to use or have as equipment on a motor vehicle operated on a highway any lighting device, warning device, signal device, safety glass, or other equipment for which approval is required by any provision of this chapter or any part or parts tending to change or alter the operation of such device, glass, or other equipment unless of a type that has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent or meets or exceeds the standards and specifications of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute, Incorporated or the federal Department of Transportation.

Code 1950, § 46-311; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-308; 1960, c. 125; 1968, c. 172; 1970, c. 26; 1984, c. 426; 1989, c. 727 .

Do the lights have a DOT, SAE or ANSI rating?  Looks like you could drive a truck thru 46.2-1002.

I put lights with Tint laws, drove 3 years with slightly darker tint and got pulled in 66 and VSP measured it and got a "equipment ticket" which I fixed and sent into to the court and got dismissed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt they have any official certification. They were cheap non-name brand lights. I agree, I read it and both of those appeared vague as can be.

I found a $12 cover for my 20" light and a $60 cover for my 50" light. I could always waste a day of court and go hear the judge interpret the law in favor of the officer, wasting a day and still paying the $30 plus court costs. Or I could get it dismissed, still wasting a day of work.  Might as well just pay it.

What a load of crap.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the same thing as being required to cover additional 'off road' lights.

The VSP guys are big on this kind of enforcement.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you've just been lucky so far

Covers on them make them legal, and with covers they will pass VA Safety Inspection
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have I just been lucky for 2+ years?
View Quote

Yes. I went years with illegal in VA {tint, lights, lift, exhaust}. No tickets. But I knew Officer Friendly was just one stop away.

I have never understood why VA hates motor vehicles so much. It is inconsistent with so many other freedoms.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
VA is retarded !!  I said it and I sincerely believe it ...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VA is retarded !!  I said it and I sincerely believe it ...
View Quote

So move to Maryland then. Let us know how retarded you think VA is after living there for a year or so.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell with Maryland.  I may bitch about some things sometimes, but I'll take VA any day.

I will say however, that even when they're giving me a ticket I do appreciate the professionalism of VA state troopers.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you get the troopers name?

I want to have him sit on my commute route and get the jack wagon with the light bar turned on driving down Compton road every morning.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you get the troopers name?

I want to have him sit on my commute route and get the jack wagon with the light bar turned on driving down Compton road every morning.
View Quote

Call the Braddock Road office.  They'll probably send someone out if you tell them the time of day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always been told mine need to have covers on them, and my inspection guy didn't want to put a sticker on my 4Runner when I didn't have them.  When I worked the road, I had other things to worry about.  Like the massive criminal problems that Danville had /still has. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So move to Maryland then. Let us know how retarded you think VA is after living there for a year or so.
View Quote

Really? Va has some really stupid traffic laws, this being one of them. My Jeep, just yesterday, failed inspection for non functional fender turn signals. They have ZERO wiring running to them (which makes them ornamental) but they still failed it for them. Tell me how that makes sense. I'll hold my breath. 

OP, unfortunately, you do have to have them covered. State law says no more than 4 forward lights are allowed. I wouldn't say you were lucky so far, I'd say you found a trooper with literally nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#13]
some inspectors have tried to reject my jeep for the metal tail light guards...

They look like this

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really? Va has some really stupid traffic laws, this being one of them. My Jeep, just yesterday, failed inspection for non functional fender turn signals. They have ZERO wiring running to them (which makes them ornamental) but they still failed it for them. Tell me how that makes sense. I'll hold my breath. 

OP, unfortunately, you do have to have them covered. State law says no more than 4 forward lights are allowed. I wouldn't say you were lucky so far, I'd say you found a trooper with literally nothing else to do.
View Quote

I ordered two covers - a 50" and a 20".  I can't believe he wanted to waste his time over a $30 ticket.  It would be different if I had an expired inspection or blew through a stop sign, but for this to be the sole reason for a stop?  WEAK.

The dealer installed them and has performed my inspections ever since.  Mental note - keep going to the dealer for inspections, they don't give a crap.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
When I had a 50" light bar installed, I never got a second look from any of the local fuzz. I vaguely remember maybe seeing a couple troopers but they didn't bother me either. Ive since taken my lightbar off but my window tint is wayyy dark. Thankfully, I havnt been jammed up for that either. I usually just roll down my windows but now that its getting to be full on winter, that isn't so much of an option now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes. I went years with illegal in VA {tint, lights, lift, exhaust}. No tickets. But I knew Officer Friendly was just one stop away.

I have never understood why VA hates motor vehicles so much. It is inconsistent with so many other freedoms.
View Quote

VA doesn't hate motor vehicles per se.  It's just that they LOVE the revenue generated more.

I feel like I'm an ATM on wheels when driving in VA.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry don't do Yankee states .. I came here from South Carolina and Virginia does have some retarded laws ....
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorry don't do Yankee states .. I came here from South Carolina and Virginia does have some retarded laws ....
View Quote
Maryland is a Southern state, being south of the Mason Dixon after all... 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

My point was ....  every state has laws that somebody will find stupid or does not like. If you think VA laws are bad, there are states with even worse laws.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, you've just been lucky so far

Covers on them make them legal, and with covers they will pass VA Safety Inspection
View Quote

This. The troopers make a bigger deal out of this than local cops do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
That's how I feel about some of the laws in the Commonwealth ....
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My point was ....  every state has laws that somebody will find stupid or does like. If you think VA laws are bad, there are stated with even worse laws.
View Quote

obliviously !!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maryland is a Southern state, being south of the Mason Dixon after all... 
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well that was an education for me on lights   Thanks

Now if they be interested in the Dirtbag that uses FARM plates with no farm or home or insurance or a driver's license... and numerous infractions for such, ... I even went to court when I heard he had a court appearance,  he was a no show of course,, I approached the bench and told her  "the  judge" what a road menace he was  .. and its on her when he kills a family in a minivan ....
bottom line,, they don't care no money in it ..

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

VA doesn't hate motor vehicles per se.  It's just that they LOVE the revenue generated more.
I feel like I'm an ATM on wheels when driving in VA.
View Quote

Yep, plus that nanny-state attitude makes them feel all warm inside.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL like VA is a southern state any more!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for doing this post, OP, I'm getting ready to but an LED light bar and now I know to get a cover as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top