Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I am looking for work and hoping somebody could help a guy out.  
I recently sold my business to an investor and am looking to get back into the IT field.  

I really don't want to post my full resume on an open forum, but I will post some of my experience/qualifications. I had been an Owner/Operator of a cellular / PC repair store. Before that I was a Systems Engineer for a company which did IT for companies too small to have full time IT staff.  

I love working on cars, shooting sports, backpacking and new technology.  I am not opposed to jobs outside the IT field but it is what I know best.  I am a self taught learner with most things and I tend to research quite a bit.  I have an appreciation for lots of things and like to tinker.  Please PM or email me for a full resume. I would really appreciate any leads or possibilities.  It would be great to work with an Arfcommer!

Thanks!

Certs: Network+
Operating Systems: Windows XP/7/8/Server 2008/Server 2012, Linux
Software Applications: MS Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio), Office 365,  Exchange, Backup Assist, Backup Exec, Sharepoint Online, Vmware,
Software Languages: C, C++, Java (Not really looking to get back into programming to be honest)
Networking: LAN/WAN, VPN, VOIP
Web Server: Installation and configuration – Apache, MySQ

Degree: B.S. Information Science: Networking and Communications
         Minor: Computer Science

Systems Engineer
-Solve technical issues remotely and on customer site for many clients
-Install/configure/maintain network infrastructure, cameras, servers, phones, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, workstations, and various software
-Perform server maintenance (backups/logs/updates) and troubleshooting
-Research new and emerging technologies to better serve clients
-Advise sales department on technical matters
-Schedule and dispatch engineers (including myself)
-Manage and prioritize work orders

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I know little about your field, but Capital One and state government agencies always seem to have jobs available in IT in Richmond.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know little about your field, but Capital One and state government agencies always seem to have jobs available in IT in Richmond.
View Quote

I have been applying/looking at both, but those are good suggestions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Cap Tech is hiring developers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cap Tech is hiring developers.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
For all agencies...

https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/jsp/shared/search/Search_css.jsp

For one agency in particular...

https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=&query_v0_posted_at_date=&435=&624=&628=&693=74&625=&626=&627=&696=&commit=Search
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If you (anyone) is CISSP and can hold a clearance, my company has some openings in Dahlgren...
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you haven't already done so:

Go to Monster.com, Dice.com and Careerbuider and create an account on each site. Upload your resume and a profile. Completing the
profile is kind of tedious, but you only have to do it once - uploading an updated resume is easy.

You can search for jobs in this area, and recruiters and HR types will see your resume and contact you. However, you will also get
tons of calls from lazy/incompetent recruiters about jobs hundreds of miles away and/or not related to your primary skill sets. They
run reports against a database, and call everyone in the report without ever reading a resume.     But these sites are the best place
to start looking.

Good luck!

-Warren-

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you (anyone) is CISSP and can hold a clearance, my company has some openings in Dahlgren...
View Quote

I appreciate the heads up.  I need some more time in the field to start thinking about a CISSP.  Thanks though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you haven't already done so:

Go to Monster.com, Dice.com and Careerbuider and create an account on each site. Upload your resume and a profile. Completing the
profile is kind of tedious, but you only have to do it once - uploading an updated resume is easy.

You can search for jobs in this area, and recruiters and HR types will see your resume and contact you. However, you will also get
tons of calls from lazy/incompetent recruiters about jobs hundreds of miles away and/or not related to your primary skill sets. They
run reports against a database, and call everyone in the report without ever reading a resume.     But these sites are the best place
to start looking.

Good luck!

-Warren-

View Quote

Thanks Warren!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to get a security + cert. It's like having a drivers license in the IT world these days and will make you qualify for any government contract position from the highest CIO to the lowliest help desk.
Test aint too bad, just study up and you should be able to knock it out with self study. If you don't have it, some companies will hire you anyway and give you a few months to knock it out. But trust me, you need to get it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate the heads up.  I need some more time in the field to start thinking about a CISSP.  Thanks though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get around to sitting for the CISSP, be prepared to feel like your brains just got sucked out of your nose once the test is done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It wasn'nt that bad, passed first time up in 2 hours 21 minutes...no boot camp.  CISSP is not a technical exam, all concepts and application.  More like a Navy rating exam than say an OS cert exam.

For anyone in the IT / Communications / Developer fields you need to have at least the Security + certification if you are doing anything for Uncle Sugar.

Quoted:

If you get around to sitting for the CISSP, be prepared to feel like your brains just got sucked out of your nose once the test is done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Henrico County Telecom Admin

I used to work for Henrico as an IT project manager for two departments.  It was a "job for life" kind of gig.  I ended up moving up north and the commute started to suck after 2.5 years, so I got a job up here.

Good luck!

Quoted:

View Quote

Shot you a PM.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You need to get a security + cert. It's like having a drivers license in the IT world these days and will make you qualify for any government contract position from the highest CIO to the lowliest help desk.
Test aint too bad, just study up and you should be able to knock it out with self study. If you don't have it, some companies will hire you anyway and give you a few months to knock it out. But trust me, you need to get it.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.  I will look into the security+ test.  

Another $300.00 test!  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you take a look at the job I posted?

It seems to fit you pretty well...

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I applied to it. Hopefully I will get a call. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!  I'd offer to be a reference but I don't work there anymore
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! Hopefully something will come of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top