Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2015 11:07:19 PM EDT
I know there's a sticky for the lobby day, but it hasn't been posted in since the day after Christmas.  This is a really important day.  It's the one day of the year when you can put your body into the offices of so many reps and senators and show them that we are the face of responsible gun ownership.

Who's going?  Any thoughts of getting together for lunch afterwards like we did last year?  I got to meet a lot of good people last year.

So....

1. kcobean
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if I can do lunch, but I'll be there for Lobby Day.

I think we (Virginia gun owners and even VCDL members) have become complacent and overconfident based on the makeup of the House of Delegates and our record of success over the past decade or so.  When I first started going to Lobby Day several years ago, the MDA/Bloomberg crowd usually brought about a dozen people, and VCDL usually brought about 800 or so.  Last year, MDA/Bloomberg had about 200, and we only brought about 300-400.  I know that most of the MDA/Bloomberg crowd are paid astroturf, but our weak turnout doesn't help to inspire confidence in those legislators who might be wavering in the middle or undecided on a lot of our bills.  When they look out the window and see that only 300-400 gun owners are paying enough attention to bother showing up on Lobby Day, how do you think that makes them feel when they have to vote on tough bills that sound "good" to the average uneducated citizen, like "universal background checks"?

Hopefully this year we can bring a lot more than last year and show our strength.  Based on some of the new things that VCDL is doing this year (like the buses), my guess is that VCDL leadership had some of the same observations that I did and is trying to do something proactive to do better this year.

TL;DR - Be there, we need you.  And...wear a tie.  Don't wear camo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My first year going was last year and it was much smaller than what I'd heard about from years before, but we still packed their offices in groups.  I doubt we changed any minds, but at least we were seen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be going and shooting both a new Lobby Day Video as well as a new "icarry video".
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Last I checked, me, VTHOKIESHOOTER, and Tony-Ri will be there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a car full (4) coming in from Charlottesville - I hope to see a lot of you there!

Also - the VCDL will be having a local meeting @ Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club on Tues. 1/13 (tomorrow!) - Lobby Day will be the number one topic....

###

Please mark your calendar for both the VCDL meeting on 1/13 and Lobby Day on 1/19.

We will begin the VCDL meeting with a potluck dinner at 6:30 PM, followed by the meeting from 7:00—9:00.  Bring your family, friends and neighbors.  As always, the main course and drinks will be provided. If you can bring a side dish to share please do.  If you can’t, don’t worry there will be plenty to eat!  We hope to see you there!

Again we thank RRPC for their continued hospitality and support!

Where:  Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club (RRPC)
1570 Old Lynchburg Road
Charlottesville, VA

Directions:  From I-64, take exit 120 South (5th Street Exit), go 4 miles to range on the right

Time:  Dinner 6:30 - 7:00 p.m.
    Meeting 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

RSVP if attending dinner to:

[email protected]

Include meeting date and the number eating in the subject line. (i.e. 1/13 meeting 3 for dinner).

###

Happy Monday to all,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
We need to do an Arfcom lunch after the clock tower rally again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be there and hope to bring another person as well.   Won't be wearing a suit or tie but won't be wearing camo either.  

Hope it isn't cold so I can bring a lightweight jacket.   IIRC,  I didn't like lugging my jacket around last year and it was like 80 degrees in the offices.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Current forecast is 61 degrees on Lobby Day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need to do an Arfcom lunch after the clock tower rally again.
View Quote

Lunch last year was a great time and a good opportunity to meet a lot of the guys I "know" from Arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]
VCDL_has_buses_for_Lobby_Day
[quote=VaGunTrader]VCDL has arranged to have buses for Lobby Day to make it easier for those of you who don't live near Richmond to attend Lobby Day on Monday, January 19th.
Here is the cities where there will be pickup/drop off points for the buses (approximate pickup/drop off times in parenthesis):
Charlottesville (6:15 AM / 4 PM)

Fairfax County (6 AM / 4 PM)

Harrisonburg (6 AM / 4:15 PM)

Lynchburg (5 AM/ 5:30 PM)

Roanoke  (4 AM / 5:10 PM)

Virginia Beach (6 AM / 4 PM)
The exact location of each pickup/drop off point will be announced in a future update.
Each bus holds 55 passengers and we are taking reservations for seats now - first come, first serve.
The cost is $25 per seat for VCDL members and their party and $30 per seat for non-members and their party.  We will also gratefully accept additional contributions to help defray the rest of the cost for the buses (which is actually around $32 per seat)..
To make your reservation, send an email to:  [email protected]
Include the following information in the email:
1.  The number in your party
2.  For each member of your party, include:
a.  Their full name

b.  Their email address (if they have one)

c.  Their cell phone number (if none, then their home phone)
ONCE YOU HAVE GOTTEN A CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR SEATS ARE RESERVED, then you can pay for your seats by clicking here:
https://mobipledge.mobi/vcdl/webpledge/
(You can pay for all the seats with one payment and, again, you can donate more if you wish to help defray more of the cost for the buses.)
Just bring the receipt with you when boarding on January 19th.
We've got a great legislative agenda this year and we have to make sure the Governor's gun control initiatives get crushed, please help us "get 'er done" by attending Lobby Day!

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]
EDIT: I'm an idiot, should have read the post right above mine. See you all there!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Current forecast is 61 degrees on Lobby Day.
View Quote

I'm so crossing my fingers!

TR
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Wish I could be there but I'll be at SHOT.  Fight the good fight!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I might go.  If I do I will wear a suit too many idiots at BassPro this past weekend that ride around all camoed up and talking like they were inbred.  

I really hate the other half of the gene pool that seem to get all the press.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be there - either with a couple of people from work who showed interest in going, with my six-year-old, or some combination thereof :).

I'm also heading that way from Charlottesville, and plan to get there just before 8. I have to be headed back no later than 2:15.

Last year, while parking was free, it was hard to find within a few blocks of the capitol. I was late, and ended up giving my vehicle to the valet at the VCU Children's Pavillion. It cost $5 and I made it to the gathering in time to find the group going around to my reps. If you decide to do that, please be aware that the pickup/dropoff is technically on campus.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably way to late to setup anything formal for lunch on Monday; last year we had 20 to 30 people sign up and we ended up at almost 50 at Capital Ale House.

Anyway, I'll be flying solo this go around; I'm aiming to be there Monday morning about 8am so I can get attached to a group.

TR
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I got sick on a dammed business trip so odds are I won't be there
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Too bad I don't have any bolt face stuff to wear to out myself as an ARFCOMer, but maybe it's better that way.

I recognize a few people, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

TR
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
We should have a group from Occupied Territory, look us up!

Quoted:
Too bad I don't have any bolt face stuff to wear to out myself as an ARFCOMer, but maybe it's better that way.

I recognize a few people, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

TR
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll be there! Now off to bed!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Where's the best place to park?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top