Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2014 2:46:14 PM EDT
I am looking for some local training for myself and friends. I would prefer something that dealt with just the fundamentals. For rifle an example would be firing from standing, kneeling, prone. I know how to zero using the 50m style the Army liked but have heard interesting things about the 100m zero. So perhaps add in 100M zero too. Anyways, just the basics since it has been 16 years since I ( and others) have been in. The group would be a mix of prior service and those who have gone to the range a few times in their life.

Could anyone recommend either local trainers or companies for this? Word of mouth is always a better way to find good training. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several good instructors/schools in and around NoVA.

I have attended all listed below:

1. Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (CCJA), run by Tom Perroni. His shop
is in Fredericksburg. I have done several carbine and/or carbine/pistol classes. All were single day courses.

2. Tactical Operations Consulting (TOC), run by Matt Watson. Did a single day carbine course up near Martinsburg, WV.

3. EAG Tactical. This is Pat Rogers' shop. Although I have taken several courses with him, none of them were the local VA ones. He does run classes
out at Echo Valley Training Center (WV).

Also, Tactical Response (James Yeager) occasionally does some training out at Echo Valley, or up in Palmyra, PA (next to Hershey, PA).

There are others, but, I only wanted to list those I had personal experience with. Train with as many different instructors as you can.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
For great instruction & value on the topics the op listed, check out Golden Seal in Winchester:
http://www.goldensealenterprises.com/gse-core-courses/
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Casarez,
TOC will be running a Tac Carbine I in January. It will be held at the Jefferson Co. Sheriff's Office range in Kearneysville, WV. Don't know how close you are, but dates will be on the website TOC
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget John Murphy.  http://www.fpftraining.com
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are several good instructors/schools in and around NoVA.

I have attended all listed below:

1. Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (CCJA), run by Tom Perroni. His shop
is in Fredericksburg. I have done several carbine and/or carbine/pistol classes. All were single day courses.

2. Tactical Operations Consulting (TOC), run by Matt Watson. Did a single day carbine course up near Martinsburg, WV.

3. EAG Tactical. This is Pat Rogers' shop. Although I have taken several courses with him, none of them were the local VA ones. He does run classes
out at Echo Valley Training Center (WV).

Also, Tactical Response (James Yeager) occasionally does some training out at Echo Valley, or up in Palmyra, PA (next to Hershey, PA).

There are others, but, I only wanted to list those I had personal experience with. Train with as many different instructors as you can.
View Quote

Thanks I will read up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For great instruction & value on the topics the op listed, check out Golden Seal in Winchester:
http://www.goldensealenterprises.com/gse-core-courses/
View Quote

Thank you, I will read up on them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Casarez,
TOC will be running a Tac Carbine I in January. It will be held at the Jefferson Co. Sheriff's Office range in Kearneysville, WV. Don't know how close you are, but dates will be on the website TOC
View Quote

Looks very interesting but the problem is I do have people with me who need the fundamentals first (Not to mention those of us who need to brush up). That course seems to assume that is already completed. I will keep it in mind though for sure once we get a fundamentals class in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I should have posted but I did find these guys through Arsenal Attorneys who I did my Trust through. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1:

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Arlington-Fairfax Isaac Walton in Centreville has basic training classes.

You just have to watch the web site.

Very nominal cost even for non-members.
Guns usually available.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top