Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 4:27:27 AM EDT
Boss is going to buy me a company car/truck and I get to pick it out. Always wanted a truck but never owned one.

I know a lot of it is preference so what do you all prefer as far as trucks go. I like the features of the f-150, and the toyota tundra, but I'm still completely open to suggestions. It's gotta be rugged but have some of the bells and whistles like remote start and heated seats
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Pickup or SUV?

SUV the Expedition wins hands down.

Truck and I prefer the Silverado.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If he's paying, get a Raptor and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Boss is going to buy me a company car/truck and I get to pick it out. Always wanted a truck but never owned one.

I know a lot of it is preference so what do you all prefer as far as trucks go. I like the features of the f-150, and the toyota tundra, but I'm still completely open to suggestions. It's gotta be rugged but have some of the bells and whistles like remote start and heated seats
View Quote

Since the new F150 won't be out by the time you will likely be buying, (and you would want to avoid new model issues anyways) focus on the tundra and current 5.0 F150.  The only major downside to the Tundra is fuel economy.  For the current F150, its design is starting to show its age, but it is still a decent option.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Truck* sorry for the confusion.

Everyone at my work are ford guys
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
For a basic beat around / light work truck , Tundra, Ford, in that order. But if I was buying a truck to really use towing, Id get a Dodge Cummins.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a chevy guy, but I gotta say my dad's '11 F-150 is a nice truck. If you're going to be hauling multiple people regularly the 150 beats the hell out of the (pre 14) silverado in back seat leg room. Can't speak for the new silverados as I have not seen in them. I just don't like the looks of the tundra personally.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer Ford & Toyota, but I drive a Silverado (in 2002 I believe Chevy had the best 1/2 ton).  Fords typically have more torque at lower RPMs.  If you are in the city a lot, a slightly smaller Tacoma is ideal.  If you need the full size....go F-Series or the 5.7 Tundra.  Only modern full size pick up I'd avoid are Dodges(gassers) (Edit to add - Nissan Titans too)......way too many problems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nissan Titans are bulletproof, everyone I know who owns one has over 100K and not the first issue with regular maintenance (they all do use synthetic though).  They all do complain about the gas mileage, but they wouldn't trade their Titans for anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Driving a F150 FX4 Crew. Nice truck with all the bells and whistles, those heated seated and remote start rock this time of year. I shopped the Tundra and it was a hard choice. If you can spring a diesel the f250 in a lariat is hard to beat. I have the 5.0 which is a solid motor but wish i could tow a little more. The eco boost runs twin turbos and some love it, but how many turbos you see on the road after 5+ years, if not a diesel turbo. Which ever you choose make sure it has a back up camera, that's the best way to park a big truck as you can not really pull in anymore. Also enjoy intimidating those compact drivers. LOL
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Get one of the new 1500 diesel rams.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
What will you be using it for?

What sort of work do you do?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I second the F150 5.0. Super Crew has tons of space inside
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I work for a custom home builder. I usually work in the office but it's not uncommon for me to take one of the trucks to pick up or drop off equipment. Anything from a water pump to a 65d mini excavator. It will mainly be a company truck to get around in. Both the owners drive f350's and I'm a big fan of the ford 6.7 turbo diesel. I love everything about diesel truck besides how long it takes for the cab to heat up when it's this cold out. Plus you also can't beat the sound of a v8 gas engine rumbling down the road.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nissan Titans are bulletproof, everyone I know who owns one has over 100K and not the first issue with regular maintenance (they all do use synthetic though).  They all do complain about the gas mileage, but they wouldn't trade their Titans for anything.
View Quote

FWIW,I don't have personal experience, but both friends that had these got rid of them in their first year.  I had read about some motor reliability issues with them and I've never seen anyone rave about Nissan V8s.  Perhaps the Titan had a bad year, or an unfair label.  It's good to have happy truck owners  speak up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I work for a custom home builder. I usually work in the office but it's not uncommon for me to take one of the trucks to pick up or drop off equipment. Anything from a water pump to a 65d mini excavator. It will mainly be a company truck to get around in. Both the owners drive f350's and I'm a big fan of the ford 6.7 turbo diesel. I love everything about diesel truck besides how long it takes for the cab to heat up when it's this cold out. Plus you also can't beat the sound of a v8 gas engine rumbling down the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it sounds like you have the justification for a diesel and you don't have to pay for a 60 something thousand dollar truck........please omit my Tacoma reference, you have a 6.7 Scorpion to buy
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double post.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#17]
5.7 V8 Toyota Tundra.

The legendary iForce 5.7L V8 delivers 381 hp and 401 lb.-ft of torque and is matched to a 6-speed automatic transmission—a combo ideal for heavy-duty towing 8. Add an Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) to maximize torque, tubular exhaust headers to minimize back pressure, and available 4WDemand part-time 4WD system and you've got a drivetrain strong enough to tow a space shuttle.

10,000 lb towing capacity

Its a Toyota but they are built in the USA ...... San Antonio if I recall

gas mileage ???? Your company paying for that to?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a 2010 Tundra 2 weeks ago. With towing pkg it's rated for 10,300 lbs of towing. It's an 5.7L SR5 dbl cab 4wd with the TRD off road and towing packages. With mostly freeway driving I'm getting 14.5 mpg. Lots of room inside and a comfortable ride.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top