Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2013 11:02:50 AM EDT
My son wants a handgun for Christmas. Never having bought a gun for someone else before, I'm clueless about any potential purchase issues.

Am I in for an issue if I buy it as a gift to him? Or am I better off just giving him the money to buy it himself?  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If he can legally own / purchase the handgun himself then you have nothing to worry about, its legal. If he legally can not own / purchase the handgun himself then you cannot buy it for him nor knowingly give him the money to buy one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If He is in the same state and not prohibited, You can buy it and give as a gift.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
He's legal.

I just wasn't sure what the best/easiest way to do it would be.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Since he's legal and in the same state, no issues. Just purchase same as you always do. Buying it as a gift, you are the "actual purchaser" as asked on the 4473. You don't need to tell the dealer it's a gift... it just confuses some of them who think gift purchases are straw purchases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top