Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2013 7:26:49 AM EDT
I have been greatly anticipating this season, bought the house in May so first chance at hunting is now. II have 15.5 acres, deer trails everywhere, and random days off to hunt. Set up a ladder stand in a great place and have a climbing ladder to move randomly. Put corn out when it was legal and just watched the masses of deer gather.

Here's the situation; my buddy cannot get out to hunt. In September it was, "October will be good, we'll go then." Now, he said, "Looks like mid-November". I understand, he's a cop, working on a degree, and has kids so he's busy and I totally understand. Anyways, I've hunted before however, I've never field dressed and processed a deer. I want to learn, but from a hands on perspective and not "I saw this on Youtube." I know this area can be tough to find/lease land to hunt so here's my offer:

Go hunting with me (must have VA hunting license).

You shoot a deer; it's yours. I shoot one; it's mine. (On average I see about 9 deer a day just in the clearing in my yard). Teach me the proper way to dress and process a deer. I have a fridge, chest freezer, vacuum sealer, everything needed for storage.

No matter what I owe you a deer. If for some reason after that first trip you don't come up with a deer. We try again. Only other "major" detail is we're using bow. No offense, but I'd like to know someone better than a few IM's back and forth before letting them hunt rifle on my property. Before hunting, you can come by check out the land.

Hopefully this goes well. I'm coming from the standpoint that I don't want to shoot deer, process incorrectly, mutilate animal, not learn from experience. I hope this isn't seen as a weird request or foolish. I'm trying to use these resources the best I can. Short of my uncle flying 700 miles and taking time off work or my buddy getting a different life these are my options. I'll see what kind of response I get. Obviously, I can't invite dozens of people to hunt, I'll try to do my best to be fair as you're not just internet friends, but fellow Virginians and neighbors.  

I'll see what kind of responses I get. Any info, questions, concerns, thoughts, volunteers?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Nobody wants to hunt? Did I approach this incorrectly?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is an awesome idea. I am in the same situation as you, I have hunted when I was a teen but have never actually done the field dressing myself. I do however have a bunch of guys at work that also hunt to help me out. By the way, where are you located ? Good luck !
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes perfect sense to me and a great offer, but I do not know how to dress a deer, or how to bow hunt
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this is an awesome idea. I am in the same situation as you, I have hunted when I was a teen but have never actually done the field dressing myself. I do however have a bunch of guys at work that also hunt to help me out. By the way, where are you located ? Good luck !
View Quote

I'm the only hunter of my friends. While a few would try, they too don't know how to dress a deer.

I'm in Lovettsville. As a transplant to VA I have a limited amount of "local" friends.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll help you out. I have a couple of places to hunt also and a grinder, meat saw, stuffer and slicer. I process all of my deer, be glad to teach you.

Shoot me a PM..
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the guys at work is taking me. My wife wont eat venison so I told him whatever I shoot he can have, I just want him to make me some jerky.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the guys at work is taking me. My wife wont eat venison so I told him whatever I shoot he can have, I just want him to make me some jerky.
View Quote

Shit, you can shoot it and I'll keep it. I was just trying to make it worth "your" time. I have a 15cu ft. freezer and a wife who told me to "ask my AR friends" to teach me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Whereabouts do ya live?
I do shift work so days off are.usually spent sleeping... But I would be willing to teach ya what I know.
I get off Thursday morning at 6 am... Go back 8pm Saturday for the most part.
I live right off Quantico....

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whereabouts do ya live?
I do shift work so days off are.usually spent sleeping... But I would be willing to teach ya what I know.

View Quote

I do shift work as well. I'm up in Lovettsville. Actually played a rugby game at Quantico a couple of weeks ago.

This coming week. I'll have Mon, Tues, Friday, Sat (Rugby Day), Sun off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do shift work as well. I'm up in Lovettsville. Actually played a rugby game at Quantico a couple of weeks ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whereabouts do ya live?

I take it you are hunting basically in your yard?

Where do ya plan on processing the carcass?.... getting the meat off the animal is the easy part.
getting all the "silver" connective tissue off is where the tedious part is. It's a backwoods rednek technique.. but it's how I was taught 40 yrs ago using a fillet knife... but it works for me.

I make steaks from the backstraps, then stew-sized chunks, jerky strips and grind most of the rest. I don't have a stuffer attachment for my grinder, so deer burger is what most of it becomes.
You need a place to hang it for the inital meat removal, a "kiddie sized swimming pool" to catch the mess... and a large cutting board for the lion's share of the trimming...

I'll be doing a test run on a FN-FAL I may purchase this weekend... so it may be a week or two until we can hookup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where do ya plan on processing the carcass?.... getting the meat off the animal is the easy part.
getting all the "silver" connective tissue off is where the tedious part is. It's a backwoods rednek technique.. but it's how I was taught 40 yrs ago using a fillet knife... but it works for me.

I make steaks from the backstraps, then stew-sized chunks, jerky strips and grind most of the rest. I don't have a stuffer attachment for my grinder, so deer burger is what most of it becomes.
You need a place to hang it for the inital meat removal, a "kiddie sized swimming pool" to catch the mess... and a large cutting board for the lion's share of the trimming...

I'll be doing a test run on a FN-FAL I may purchase this weekend... so it may be a week or two until we can hookup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whereabouts do ya live?

Yeah, "back yard" is 15.5 acres of evergreens and some other tree types and a small stream surrounded by another few hundred acres of woods.
I have a deer hoist, gut knife, a filet knife, a 6 ft fold-able table I'll cover with a tarp, rubber gloves, and contractor size/grade trash bags. After field dressing, processing can be done in the garage...it's 950 sq ft. We should have enough space.

For the first hunt, I'd like to do bow, just as a "hey, this is the first time we've met and hunted together. How far is Lovesttsville from you?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I gut and process all my bambis

Only kicker is Im not THE greatest at processing... I cut the loins out and everything else goes through the grinder for burger.

If you want you can text me your # and you can come watch/help when I get my next deer. I can show you some tricks for skinning and getting the meat off the deer and then off the bone. 90% of the deer Im good with, Its just the backlegs Im still learning.

I dont have the time to scout another place as far out as lovettsville; the wife is due to have our second baby any minute. I have a place to hunt close by, but would be happy to show you what I know!

Im in Manassas Park off 28. Shoot me an IM if you want!

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, "back yard" is 15.5 acres of evergreens and some other tree types and a small stream surrounded by another few hundred acres of woods.
I have a deer hoist, gut knife, a filet knife, a 6 ft fold-able table I'll cover with a tarp, rubber gloves, and contractor size/grade trash bags. After field dressing, processing can be done in the garage...it's 950 sq ft. We should have enough space.

For the first hunt, I'd like to do bow, just as a "hey, this is the first time we've met and hunted together. How far is Lovesttsville from you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whereabouts do ya live?

sounds awesome.. and you sound like you have a plan.
I also prefer to bow hunt... I'll have to look it up and see what travel distance will be.

ETA.. Looks like you are close.to Point of Rocks... I can come right up 15... Maybe 1.5 hrs in my suburban, she ain't no hotrod..lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#14]
If I ever get my crossbow sighted in I can give you a hand.  I process all my own deer.   Like others, nothing fancy, just steaks, ground, and maybe some stew meat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I ever get my crossbow sighted in I can give you a hand.  I process all my own deer.   Like others, nothing fancy, just steaks, ground, and maybe some stew meat.
View Quote

don't forget jerky.... Aka rednek crack...lol

if you are close by, I can help with the crossbow.
are you using a cocking device, or.just cocking by hand?

ETA... Dammit, that didn't come out right...lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I can teach you - sending a PM.

I am actually looking for a place where I can process deer - my neighborhood has too many McAuliffe signs for a deer strung up out back to go over well. I haven't bow hunted in almost 20 years (and no longer have one), but we can figure something out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#17]
sent ya a PM..
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's some ideas on dressing a deer.....

Just kidding, best of luck in your search.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Great offer. If I were closer I would certainly take you up on it, but I avoid NVA  like the plague.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Sorry to clutter your thread, but this literally made me snarf my water. Felt compelled to post my appreciation. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whereabouts do ya live?

OT
What do you use for high speed internet out there In the woods?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Shot you a PM but I see another rugger.. awesome. I'm taking a few months off from it cause the closest team doesn't seem too organized and I got kid's football. So hopefully I'll get back into it if they do end up having a kid's rugby team.

ETA: Help me out here, do you need to qualify with a bow before getting a license in VA?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shot you a PM but I see another rugger.. awesome. I'm taking a few months off from it cause the closest team doesn't seem too organized and I got kid's football. So hopefully I'll get back into it if they do end up having a kid's rugby team.

ETA: Help me out here, do you need to qualify with a bow before getting a license in VA?
View Quote

No, just an approved hunter safety course.

I played flank in HS and some college games, but prefer mountain biking these days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
OP did youfind anyone yet? Im in Ashburn and would be glad to show you the ropes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting ready to crash out and Donnie and I are gonna hit the woods around 6am...
I saw.tons of deer on the way in this evening. Hoping for a productive hunt in the AM..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got in from Donnie and Desi's place.. two of the nicest folks you could ever want to meet!
And I mean that very sincerely.. thank you both for a great weekend.

They got the basic shortcourse in cutting up a deer... was getting close to dark on Friday and the only one I had a good shot on was a doe and her fawn, just losing it's spots so I let them walk. I climbed down and stalked a small buck, stuck him and class was on from there. Both did very well for first timers!

Next task is to get Desi up to speed so she can kill a nice buck later this season...

And boys, let me tell ya, that little lady can cook! I was fed in a manner fit for a king!

Thanks again for the hospitality.. and I am very happy to have met the both of you!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks, Mike. I had a blast and really appreciate the education. I'll get some cameras set up so we can get a better idea of movement and maybe get that 8 pointer on camera we saw from the driveway. We'll stay in touch and set up another hunt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP did youfind anyone yet? Im in Ashburn and would be glad to show you the ropes.
View Quote

I did, but that doesn't mean there isn't more than one way to skin a cat...er...deer. I'm working next weekend, but we can look ahead to after that. Your pretty close so that'll make for easy travel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks, Mike. I had a blast and really appreciate the education. I'll get some cameras set up so we can get a better idea of movement and maybe get that 8 pointer on camera we saw from the driveway. We'll stay in touch and set up another hunt.
View Quote

Anytime brother!
As I said before.. I encourage you to seek the input of others. Hell, I would be interested in learning anything I can with regard to the subject... Just because I was taught a certain method doesn't mean it's the best way.
And yeah... Trail cameras will help enormously to pattern the movements... any little bit of info helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top