Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2012 6:03:24 AM EDT
Heard on the radio while heading into work that Allen has decided against running for any more political offices and did some searching and found this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/11/13/george-allen-i-have-no-intention-of-running-for-office-again/

Since he isn't dead, I guess this means we can still speak ill of him?

Hopefully, we can find somebody to beat Mark Warner; and then find somebody to beat Kaine in 6 years... Sure as shootin' that Allen wasn't the guy.

TR
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank God.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]

He would never have lost his seat in the first place if he hadn't been such an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He would never have lost his seat in the first place if he hadn't been such an idiot.

+1

Douchebag Extraordinaire

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Douchebag Extraordinaire

Seriously, when you have to explain to reporters that yes you called a minority student "macaca", but you have no idea what it means, that's probably the moment you ought to retire from politics.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Its about fucking time!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Well bye.gif
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank God.

YEP!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
2 years too late.   Would have been a much better campaign and debate with Jamie.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Warner will be tough to beat. He is well liked and a moderate dem. McDonnell will be on deck for the election and he is popular as well, who knows what will happen.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]

I wish George Allen well.  I bear him no ill will, but I wish he had made this decision after his 2008 loss.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't understand the thinking of running a loser.  How many people are going to go from voting against someone to for them?  
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't understand the thinking of running a loser.  How many people are going to go from voting against someone to for them?  

EDIT:  Never mind, this statement retracted due to factual inaccuracies.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Warner will be tough to beat. He is well liked and a moderate dem. McDonnell will be on deck for the election and he is popular as well, who knows what will happen.

Warner will be tough to beat........thinking about running for Gov again........"Cooch" does not stand a chance........

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Warner will be tough to beat........thinking about running for Gov again........"Cooch" does not stand a chance........

I believe that as it stands right now, Warner is unbeatable for reelection as Senator OR if he decides to run again as Governor.  The Republicans have no one to compete.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont know why he would want to run for Gov again. That seems like it would be a step back for him. While I despised Webb for a democrat Warner doesnt seem like that bad of a politician he isnt a hard core leftist like some of them are.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont know why he would want to run for Gov again. That seems like it would be a step back for him. While I despised Webb for a democrat Warner doesnt seem like that bad of a politician he isnt a hard core leftist like some of them are.

You mean the guy that supported the Clinton AWB, would allow local municipalities to enact their own gun rules, and has stated he would have vetoed any repeal of the one gun a month rule.

Yeah no thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that as it stands right now, Warner is unbeatable for reelection as Senator OR if he decides to run again as Governor.  The Republicans have no one to compete.

They dont.......the Republicans......dont seem to practice what they preach anymore........Less government and taxes........you got governor Bob wanting to put tolls up on the Interstates and running around trying to close down the Abortion clinics.........I refuse to debate the abortion issue.........but the aforementioned actions are not less government......Ironic.....back in the 80's the unions and the hispanics voted for Reagan..........neither will even look at a republican these days.................
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the guy that supported the Clinton AWB, would allow local municipalities to enact their own gun rules, and has stated he would have vetoed any repeal of the one gun a month rule.

Yeah no thanks.
From the Virginia Sports Shooting Association article that addresses the exact same issues you are bringing up (http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2007/09/its-official-mark-warner-to-run-for-us.html):

"As Governor, Warner did not veto any of the pro-gun legislation that made
it through the General Assembly. This includes full preemption as well
as a partial roll-back of one gun-a-month - Delegate Bill Janis' bill
providing that concealed handgun permit holders could by as many
handguns in a month as they wanted, that were part of the 17 pro-gun
bills that passed in 2004."

I don't see Warner as necessarily a bad thing for gun rights in VA, since his actions as Governor speak for themselves.  And we all know that Republicans like his Senatorial predecessor, John Warner, could be counted on as champions of Virginian's gun rights.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no thanks.
From the Virginia Sports Shooting Association article that addresses the exact same issues you are bringing up (http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2007/09/its-official-mark-warner-to-run-for-us.html):

"As Governor, Warner did not veto any of the pro-gun legislation that made it through the General Assembly. This includes full preemption as well as a partial roll-back of one gun-a-month - Delegate Bill Janis' bill providing that concealed handgun permit holders could by as many handguns in a month as they wanted, that were part of the 17 pro-gun bills that passed in 2004."

I don't see Warner as necessarily a bad thing for gun rights in VA, since his actions as Governor speak for themselves.  And we all know that Republicans like his Senatorial predecessor, John Warner, could be counted on as champions of Virginian's gun rights.

And didn't the bills pass through a Republican controlled veto proof majority GA at that time?  Only reason he signed those bills was to make himself look good.  He would be beat about the head with his actions if he vetoed those bills and then the GA overrode them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no thanks.

"As Governor, Warner did not veto any of the pro-gun legislation that made it through the General Assembly. This includes full preemption as well as a partial roll-back of one gun-a-month - Delegate Bill Janis' bill providing that concealed handgun permit holders could by as many handguns in a month as they wanted, that were part of the 17 pro-gun bills that passed in 2004."

If i am not mistaken John Warner and Robb voted for the 94 AWB.................scratch that he did not......but robb did

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah no thanks.

If i am not mistaken John Warner and Robb voted for the 94 AWB.................scratch that he did not......but robb did

"Dear ...,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views about assault weapons.  I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

During the Senate's consideration of S.1805, the Protection of Lawful
Commerce in Arms Act, I offered an amendment to the gun immunity bill
based on legislation that Senator Feinstein (D-Ca) and I introduced,
S.2109 (the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act).  This amendment
would have extended the Assault Weapons Ban for another ten years, and
it passed the Senate with bipartisan support by a vote of 52-47.  
However, the gun immunity bill, S.1805, failed in the Senate by a vote
of 8 to 90.  Our bill, S.2109, is still pending before the Senate.

Signed into law in 1994, the Assault Weapons Ban placed a 10 year
prohibition on domestic manufacture, transfer, or possession of certain
semi-automatic assault weapons.  The ten year ban ends on September 13,
2004.  Consequently, unless Congress and the President act prior to
September 13, 2004, weapons like Uzis and AK-47s will once again be
produced in America, and more and more often, these weapons will fall
into the hands of criminals who lurk in our neighborhoods.  President
Bush has indicated that he supports a straight 10 year extension of this
current law.  

Some in the Senate, including myself, opposed the ban a decade ago,
believing it would do little to reduce crime, and fearing that it could
threaten the Constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners and
hunters.  However, a decade of experience has provided us with key
facts, and, consequently, my opinions on the ban have evolved.

The Assault Weapons Ban has made our communities safer and has not
infringed on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.  Recent Department of
Justice record indicate that the use of banned assault weapons in
crimes has declined measurably –– by 65% in one analysis - since the
measure took effect.  And, law enforcement officials from across
Virginia, and indeed across the United States, have supported an
extension of the Assault Weapons Ban because they know it makes
America's communities safer.

Please be assured that I understand your views on this legislation.  
As a gun owner and hunter, and as a United States Senator privileged to
represent the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United
States Senate, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.  I will
continue to support public policies that ensure the responsible and
appropriate use of guns while also protecting the constitutional right
of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

Again, thank you for the benefit of your views.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

[signed]

John Warner"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top