Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2012 5:50:35 PM EDT
I never really cared for the BBQ, not much for minced thats just me, but the Lime Aid was great. Sorry to see a Richmond institution closing down.

http://wtvr.com/2012/09/11/bills-barbecue-closing-all-va-restaurants-this-week/

Richmond shop Bill’s Barbecue closing all restaurants this week
Posted on: 4:44 pm, September 11, 2012, by Alix Bryan, updated on: 05:10pm, September 11, 2012

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR)–All Bill’s Barbecue restaurants will be closing at the end of the week.
A press release cited economic circumstances as the reason; including “changing marketing realities and significant costs of upgrading operations.”
The company said “it is no longer feasible to operate under these trying financial conditions.”
The barbecue chain first opened in Richmond in 1930 and expanded to 13 locations through the area.
Certain locations have been shutting down throughout the years, with at least five closed earlier in 2012.
The chain, started by William S. Richardson, said “We thank you for being with us over these past 82 years.”
You have until Sunday, Sept. 16 to get one last sandwich and piece of pie and wash it down with a tasty limeade.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hull Street location was already closed down when I went by there a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah never cared for them either.
the hull street local was always dead, never saw anyone in there...
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

I absolutely LOVED their sliced pork BBQ. And their limeade was to die for. I'm planning to be in Richmond on the 20th, and was looking forward to a couple of Bill's sandwiches.
Back in the late 1960s and early 70s, I lived in Leesburg and had a super-sweet GF in Williamsburg, so I made the round trip to see her every week. I made the stop at Bill's on the Boulevard both north and south bound.

Damn! The Smokey Pig in Ashland is gone. Almands in Fredericksburg just ain't the same as it was when the old man ran the place. I don't like Pierce's. And now Bill's is closed.

What the hell is the world coming to?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

Damn! The Smokey Pig in Ashland is gone.

Smokey Pig closed? That blows hardcore.

If you want good bbq in Richmond, try Q Barbaque; they have a place in Virginia Center Commons, Midlo Turnpike and Hampton.

TR
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

If you want good bbq in Richmond, try Q Barbaque; they have a place in Virginia Center Commons, Midlo Turnpike and Hampton.

TR

they're also opening a Q in Short Pump near the Kroger.

I've been to the Virginia Center Commons location and didn't really love it
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

TR

I tride Q it was very dry and I didnt like it either. The best BBQ in Richmond is Buz and Neds then probably Extra Billy's. Carters Pig Pickin in Mechanicsville is really good as well. I'm more of a pulled BBQ guy. Bill's was minced, bland , and soggy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No better time than now to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain and start smoking your own!

Sad news though.  It was around since I can remember...
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

TR

I tride Q it was very dry and I didnt like it either. The best BBQ in Richmond is Buz and Neds then probably Extra Billy's. Carters Pig Pickin in Mechanicsville is really good as well. I'm more of a pulled BBQ guy. Bill's was minced, bland , and soggy.

You should have gotten the sliced. It was dynamite. Especially with some cole slaw and some of that Bill's BBQ sauce on it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

TR

My current favorite is Alamo over in Church Hill. Pierces is also great but thats not really Richmond.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

I fear we are going to see a lot more small businesses going under.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I was bummed about the Smokey Pig when it closed.  Now that Bills is gone, I'm out off good places to eat BBQ.

I tried Q's a few times, and they're ok.  Not the best I've had, but far from the worst.

I was at the Farmer's market on Robious/Huguenot yesterday and stopped by a tent from Big Daddy's BBQ and Catering.  The lady was very nice and their brisket sandwich was very good.   Their address is 6359 Jahnke Rd. Richmond, VA 23225.   Definitely plan on stopping in there sometime in the future.

Sucks about bills tho....that was some damn good lemonade.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard Buzz n Ned's is moving into one of the Bill's locations. Any truth to this ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, I loved their coconut pie.  I'm bummed!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Bills was bland and kind of tasteless.

The limeade was good.

I went to the Broad street shop a couple of years ago and swore I'd never go back.  

Extra Billys is pretty good, Buzz and Neds is decent although a little overhyped.

I did like Q's and I've eaten there several times.  I prefer the less sweet flavored pulled pork, generally.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I heard Buzz n Ned's is moving into one of the Bill's locations. Any truth to this ?

I'm not sure of the address, but Buzz and Neds does have new digs.  A friend went there and he said the building appeared new.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#16]
The new Buzz and Ned's is at Parham and Broad streets, where the old Fudrucker's used to be.

Bill's BBQ was one of those Richmond institutions that staggered along just of its own creaking weight.  I went there every now and then, but really didn't think of it as BBQ, just an odd sort of sandwich.  If you didn't think of it as BBQ, it was better.  Limeaids will be missed, I'll admit.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't there one on W. broad just down fromStaples Mill?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! ! !

TR

My current favorite is Alamo over in Church Hill. Pierces is also great but thats not really Richmond.

Alamo is great stuff, but I thought of it more as a Texas smoked meats place.  It's foreign - like the lunch buffet at India K'Raja, which is also delicious, but not quite BBQ.

ETA - while we're talking about Brisket, The Continental's is phenomenal.  I'm pretty sure the owner is a libtard, but at least he's not overtly anti-gun in the TD like the owner of Phil's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna miss the chocolate pie

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]
the limeade is what i went for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#21]
There's also a new Dickey's in/near Short Pump. It's not bad as BBQ goes. They actually have real, dead cow BBQ as opposed to the pig-be-que that people here incorrectly refer to as "barbeque".

Dickey's: 9809 West Broad Street Glen Allen, VIRGINIA 23060
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#22]
All I will miss about Bill's are the cool, old signs. My opinion, Q and Buz and Neds (they still can't get service right) are over rated but I'll never turn it down. I like Benny's on southside for Carolina type bbq but I haven't been to the new location. Alamo is great. A co-worker of mine brought in some take out Alamo for lunch, a dish called Texas Train Wreck which is like a garbage plate of bbq, mac n cheese, beans, etc. Damn good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top