Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 4:39:55 PM EDT
Just came across the scanner about 15 minutes ago.  From the scanner traffic, it appears the shooter is in custody, and at least one victim is in route to the hospital.  While giving the stats on the victim, they said he had been shot about a year ago too.

Seems to be a common occurence in the 'burg recently.  Shame families can't go to the park, to enjoy the fireworks, without some stupid punk thugs (just my assumption - have no idea who they really were) showing up.

Dan.

-edit-  Early article from the Journal News

Early NBC 25 article

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
And ppl wonder why I carry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.  Martinsburg is fast going down the drain.  We really do need James Barbour as Sheriff to clean this county up!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Just heard that there are multiple victims, one may be an 11 year old girl and there may be an officer down.  No further information at this point.  Prayers out for the victims.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just heard that there are multiple victims, one may be an 11 year old girl and there may be an officer down.  No further information at this point.  Prayers out for the victims.

No officer down - at least not based on scanner traffic.  Marla and I were listening to the scanner when it unfolded (that darn scanner is on 24/7 when we are home!)

There are three vicitims.  One transported by ambulance (the one that had been shot previously) and it sounded like two transported by a Sheriff's Deputy.  I have not personally heard any ages/sexes of the victims - or if any have passed.

Dan
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Travis at Tannermans has a thread running on FB with some good updates.  Revised that no officer was shot as first reported.  Confirmed 11 year old girl was shot.  As you said Dan, no information on fatalities.  Suspect is in custody and the cops are searching for more according to what I've been reading.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, if our power hadn't been out for the last four days we probably would have been there tonight to watch the fireworks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The same ol anti-gun City Council was voted back in.  I live in Martinsbrg but no longer shop here because it is illegal to carry concealed in ANY City Owned building which includes many stores which aren't identified.  We shop in nearby Winchester VA which isn't antigun.  Gasoline is much less expensive there so we save money on the trip.  Downtown Martinsburg is now full of dopers subsidizing their government checks by selling drugs and or prostitution.  I am a vet but am sorry to say much of the downtown problems come from vets with substance abuse problems.  The local VA Hospital has a program that actually seeks out incarcerated vets with drug convictions in prisons throughout the country and works to get their sentence lowered and brings them here for treatment.  Manyt end up staying here in Martinsburg and go back to their old habits and bring in their old acquantances.  They are mostly from D.C., Baltmore, and Philly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The same ol anti-gun City Council was voted back in.  I live in Martinsbrg but no longer shop here because it is illegal to carry concealed in ANY City Owned building which includes many stores which aren't identified.  We shop in nearby Winchester VA which isn't antigun.  Gasoline is much less expensive there so we save money on the trip.  Downtown Martinsburg is now full of dopers subsidizing their government checks by selling drugs and or prostitution.  I am a vet but am sorry to say much of the downtown problems come from vets with substance abuse problems.  The local VA Hospital has a program that actually seeks out incarcerated vets with drug convictions in prisons throughout the country and works to get their sentence lowered and brings them here for treatment.  Manyt end up staying here in Martinsburg and go back to their old habits and bring in their old acquantances.  They are mostly from D.C., Baltmore, and Philly.

Welcome to ARFCOM!

As an FYI the shopping center on the west side of I-81 with the Target, Dick's, etc. is not in the M-burg city limits, so feel free to patronize it as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Martinsburg Mayor and city council wonder why downtown is a ghost town DUH ! When I voted recently in the City elections I felt naked leaving My EDC at home, it's that crappy Downtown. I would not be surprised if Plea bargin Pam handles this in Her usual way and this guy will be back in Martinsburg in 3 to 5 years ( while already having 3 felonies in His jacket !! ). They need to get the death penalty in Wv to free up space to keep this scum in prison. Same party rule in Martinsburg as the City of Chicago same stupid ideas putting law abiding citizens lives in jepardy ! Sad that they fear Us law abiding CCW more than the criminals ! .....WVleo
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
As usual, the Herald-Mail has a lot more details in its story that the Journal.
http://www.herald-mail.com/news/tristate/hm-fireworks-at-war-memorial-park-have-been-canceled-20120704,0,1733164.story
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
i was wondering why i heard seirns that way last night. i was outside watching the lighting and heard the comotion. what a dirtbag, released in feb and already back in jail. i dont watch much news for this reason. its all bad and the politics anger me. i cant help but think that we as a country just need to clean our streets up without the courts and that jazz.. call me what you will but i beleave that poopoo heads like this are the true skum of the earth and need to......
i need to stop ranting. im sorry, it just goes through me like a knife.

im glad the victims are ok and were released.

i do have a question for yuo all. open carry is legal right?  and why dont i see it? do the LEO's around here not like and people get hassled about it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Martinsburg is fast going down the drain.  We really do need James Barbour as Sheriff to clean this county up!

+1
Every please vote! I'd love to see Barbour in there! If you have any doubts about who you'd like to see as Sheriff check out this reply email I got from James regarding the Martinsburg illegal gun ban:

Mr xxxxx

Thank You for contacting me with your concerns on this issue.  As a Martinsburg city resident
I am fully aware of this city ordnance.  I have been in contact with the NRA on this subject and
from what I have been told the NRA-ILA is working to have this ordnance overturned.  It is a clear
and blatant violation of WV State Law. I feel it is just another attempt of the current Mayor and city council
to impose their agenda on the Berkeley County residents.  I am working with several pro gun candidates that
are running in the June City elections to oust the sitting council and Mayor.

I am and always have been adamantly Pro Gun. I am a NRA member, I am a Concealed Carry Permit Holder
and I am not for restrictions on any law abiding citizens gun rights. I have been a Sponsor and supporter of
the Berkeley County Friends of The NRA annual Banquets and youth shooting programs. I have been endorsed
for Berkeley County Sheriff by 340 Defense in Charles Town WV.

When elected as Sheriff, I have plans to streamline the CCW process, and if any resident has the desire to purchase Class III weapons
I will make myself available for the processing and signatures required.  I am making inquiries and I continue to do research on this
city ordnance to see what the legal aspects as Sheriff I can do to have this overturned.
Again I thank you for your concerns and I appreciate your great remarks.  Please feel
free to contact me anytime with any concerns you may have.

James Barbour
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#13]
He's also a home-based FFL/SOT - JB Outfitters in Martinsburg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top