Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2012 12:02:53 PM EDT
I need some assistance. I am new to the AR world, I want a rifle that can shoot 200 yards or better, but can be used at home for home defense as well. I have looked into Sig, Stag, Daniel Defense and Colt. Recommendations for a good AR platform would be appreciated. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Build your own.  If you build it and then go out and shoot the piss out of it, then you'll understand it AND you can trust your life to it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Build your own.  If you build it and then go out and shoot the piss out of it, then you'll understand it AND you can trust your life to it.

Uh, the gentleman quoted in the above post failed to mention the risks, ie, addiction, shooting more than the budget allows, etc.

However, he's right.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally?  They are all good choices, and the bottom line is price.  Is a $700 AR better than a $1000 one?  Often the only difference is finish and street credibility.  

Colts can be found for $980 if you shop aggressively.  You can always add little enhancements later to increase reliability of some of the "lesser ones" if need be.  

I like DPMS for the price, unusual accuracy, and reliability.  

The money you save SHOULD be invested in good mags and ammo and practice.

Flame suit on, and I pay attention, but and I don't think anyone is making a bad AR now-there's only "better" ones.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The brands you mentioned will be very good quality.  I would add Bravo Company, and if you wanted something cheaper, Palmetto State Armory.  What part of VA are you in, and were you going to try and pick up something locally, or have it shipped to an FFL?  Also, with a name like that, people are gonna think you're either from NY, or you like the Yankees for no good reason.  (both bad)  
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in central Virginia.  Yes I'm from NYC and love the ny Yankees BUT I married a 4th generation Virginian so I guess in about 20 yrs I might be considered a Virginian  lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Colt or a Daniel Defense.  Both those will serve you well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a Colt or a Daniel Defense.  Both those will serve you well.

Build a lower, buy a (slightly) used upper off the EE. Save a few hundred bucks to spend on ammo/magazines.

It may take some time and patience, but you can find good deals on the equipment exchange here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at DSA and their nitrided barrels. Very neat bit of tech there. Modest price and excellent fit, finish and function. I have two. They give 10% off to active and retired military if you call in your order. Call me a happy owner. In the interest of full disclosure, only my uppers are DSA. I consider the upper the important part of the platform.  My lowers are a Charles Daley from before they went bankrupt and a Plum Crazy! Both function perfect.

Dressed it up in Magpul FG.

This 16" one has a regular 1-9 barrel twist. At the indoor Marine range I use I regularly hit fingernail sized targets at 25 yards with that red dot sight. Three shot cloverleafs more often than not. 1.5" groups of five shots at 100 yards when I do my part. Its been flawless for me. That is something I love about the AR is the laser like accuracy at close range.

I later picked up a 20" one with a 1-7 barrel for heavier ammo. Perfect function at 25 yards. Very soft shooter. But haven't had it out at 100 yards yet. I have a number of mags loaded  up with different weights of ammo set aside just for that trip. It's not as accurate at 25 yards as the 1-9 barrel. I'm told that is too short a range for the faster spin on the bullet to stabilize it. I really need to take it to a longer range to try it out.

ETA: I have had a number of the modestly priced AR platforms. Even my Olympic shot more accurately than my Colt did. The Colt was the only one I didn't care for. Scratchy trigger and not as accurate at 100 yards as the Oly, BM and DSA were. Thankfully they hold  their value and I got my money back trading it. The funny part? The cheap Oly and PC lowers had the best triggers! Excellent crisp feel.
My own bottom line has been you can have a lot of fun with the middle level AR's.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in central Virginia.  Yes I'm from NYC and love the ny Yankees BUT I married a 4th generation Virginian so I guess in about 20 yrs I might be considered a Virginian  lol

don't sweat it,

my MIL, born and bred, many generations in VA, is a diehard NY Yankees fan,

it will take more than 20yrs to get properly accepted, but my MIL will always like you

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That makes you a "God Damn Yankee" like me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Amen!
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes it does. LOL
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Go up to AST in Woodbridge, VA Arms in Manassas, and SSG Tactical in Fredericksburg.  All of them have a bunch of ARs.  You will be able to handle a bunch and ask a ton of questions.

For the OP, I like LMT the best.  All milspec and squared away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top