Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:41:16 AM EDT
I've been living in Richmond for 7 years now. When I first moved here, I was disappointed that there was not a single public rifle range in the area. I ended up selling/trading all of my rifles because there was no where to shoot them. Have things changed since then? Are there any new public rifle ranges around?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about Richmond, but if your'e on the west side,
check out Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club    (www.rrpc.org)   i n Charlottesville.
It's only an hours drive. Great club, can't beat the facilities or the dues.
It's not public, but one can join without too many hoops to jump thru
Great bunch of people too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
conservationparkva.org on the east side on the Henrico/Charles City border
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The range at Ft. Lee is still open on Sundays to the public, and you can't beat the $5 range fee. 5.56 is the maximum caliber permitted though.

Linky

If you can wait a few months, Colonial is opening an indoor range in the west end;

http://www.colonialshooting.com/

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1,

I am on the southside and have been a member for over 10 years,

black creek is another option,
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,

I am on the southside and have been a member for over 10 years,

black creek is another option,

Another member here...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']
If you can wait a few months, Colonial is opening an indoor range in the west end;

Oh snap, that's perfect. It's about time someone opened one. The website isn't clear when they will open though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Oh snap, that's perfect. It's about time someone opened one. The website isn't clear when they will open though.

Sometime in Feb if on schedule... Already joined!

Keep in mind it's 25 yards max, and shouldn't be considered a rifle range.  This being said, you will be able to shoot a rifle there as long as it's .30 cal or below (not counting pistol caliber guns).  I have been told the backstop is .50 BMG rated, but they want to keep the wear down.  The 25 yard max will be a controlling factor in what people bring as well.  I'm not about to churn through my pricey 7.62*51 at 25 yards, but I will play with my ARs.

It's also expensive unless you become a member, something like $20 and hour.  You can also bring your own ammo. (I'm assuming that there will be the normal no steel core, tracer or AP exceptions)

I'm only about 5 miles from there as I type.  It'll be a great after work thing.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You are asking at the right time of the year to apply to black creek. They have 7-15 yard pistol, 25 yard, 50 yard, and 100 yard ranges. They have a second 100 yard range for events and a huge range(as in spots) for competition that serves as a skeet range other times(single skeet shooter).

For memberships I think it is up to 850 members this year(use to be 800 max) and it is now like 150 a year for membership. They opened enrollment this week and once they fill up they are filled up. Pretty much in November they sent out renewals for current members and any open slots that are left in January are fair game.

You would have to call Young and see when he is doing his safety class(pretty much him walking around the range giving you the rules) to go and get an application. That and you need to be an NRA member.

Range is a little worn down but overall I enjoy shooting there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are asking at the right time of the year to apply to black creek. They have 7-15 yard pistol, 25 yard, 50 yard, and 100 yard ranges. They have a second 100 yard range for events and a huge range(as in spots) for competition that serves as a skeet range other times(single skeet shooter).

For memberships I think it is up to 850 members this year(use to be 800 max) and it is now like 150 a year for membership. They opened enrollment this week and once they fill up they are filled up. Pretty much in November they sent out renewals for current members and any open slots that are left in January are fair game.

You would have to call Young and see when he is doing his safety class(pretty much him walking around the range giving you the rules) to go and get an application. That and you need to be an NRA member.

Range is a little worn down but overall I enjoy shooting there.

Just a word of caution regarding Black Creek range:  If you enjoy any type of tactical shooting this place is not for you.  If you enjoy benchrest, slow, methodical shooting you will enjoy BC.  I was a member for two years but finally got fed up with KC's BS about shooting fast and his general rants.  The place is cheap for a yearly membership (and really looks it).  If you can go on weekdays you have a good chance of having the place to yourself which is great.  Weekends can be really crowded, especially closer to hunting season.  For the money it is the best deal going close to Richmond.  Just understand that KC can be VERY overbearing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top