Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 10:24:19 PM EDT
Seeing preliminary (facebook) reports of a shooting at one of the apartment complexes near JMU.  One vic as far as I can tell.  Will update with new info by morning.

Stay vigilant.

UPDATE:

Police have arrested a male involved with a shooting in Harrisonburg over the weekend.

The Harrisonburg Police Department arrested O'Rondae Jones, 19, of Manassas, Va.

Jones has been charged with two counts of brandishing a firearm.

Police report that around 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Jones brandished a gun toward a male victim in the 1400 block of Devon Lane. He was accompanied by George Escobar, 19, of Falls Church,

The victim shot Jones in the upper leg. Jones was taken to Rockingham Memorial Hospital and later transferred to the University of Virginia Medical Center. He has since been released.

Police say the investigation reveals the shooting was made in self-defense and the victim will not face charges.

Jones is currently being held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

Escobar was charged with two counts of giving false identification to law enforcement, unlawful use or injury to telephone lines and obstructing justice. He also had outstanding warrants from Falls Church.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
im in for a update
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Tweet from the school newspaper:

HPD investigating shooting in Devon Lane. Victim transported to U.Va. Medical with serious injuries. Full story to come at breezejmu.org.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard gun shots last night but that is nothing new I can hear them all the time.

Where do we get updates?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

HPD investigating shooting in Devon Lane. Victim transported to U.Va. Medical with serious injuries. Full story to come at breezejmu.org.

From that link it sounds like it might be a self-defense situation? 19 YO threatening a 22 YO. 22 YO pulls out gun and shoots 19 YO. No charges yet and the 22 YO is cooperating with police.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From that link it sounds like it might be a self-defense situation? 19 YO threatening a 22 YO. 22 YO pulls out gun and shoots 19 YO. No charges yet and the 22 YO is cooperating with police.

When I posted that they hadn't put up the article yet.

Police have identified the two men allegedly involved in a shooting in Devon Lane early this morning. But the police won't release names at this time, and no charges have been filed.

At about 12:30 a.m., a 19-year-old man allegedly threatened a 22-year-old man with a gun on the 1400 block of Devon Lane. The 22-year-old then took out his own gun and reportedly shot the 19-year-old, police spokeswoman Mary-Hope Vass said.

The 19-year-old was injured in the leg and taken to Rockingham Memorial Hospital. He was later transported to the University of Virginia Medical Center with serious but non life-threatening injuries.

The 22-year-old is cooperating with the police, Vass said, but police aren't elaborating on whether arrests have been made.

Sounds like you might be right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I just skimmed the article from that link and posted the Cliff's Notes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Something sounds fishy...

View regular site.Search
"It was the scariest night of my life"
Staff Report | Posted: Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:01 pm

Two students said they were walking down Devon Lane with friends minutes before a shooting occurred early Saturday morning.
The shooting took place at about 12:30 a.m. on Saturday on the 1400 block of Devon Lane, according to police spokeswoman Mary-Hope Vass.
A 19-year-old man allegedly threatened a 22-year-old man with a handgun. The 22-year-old then took out his own gun and shot the man in the leg.
The 19-year-old was injured and taken to Rockingham Memorial Hospital. He was later transported to the University of Virginia Medical Center with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.
Police declined to release names or press charges yesterday, but HPD knows the identity of the 22-year-old and said he's cooperating with the investigation.
A female witness, who wished to remain anonymous to avoid feeling threatened, said the 22-year-old aimed the gun at her before he shot the 19-year-old.
"He pointed it at my chest and told me to keep moving," she said.
The witness said she sprinted away and turned around to see the 22-year-old shake the 19-year-old's hand before shooting him in the leg.
Another witness, Katie Volatile, an undeclared freshman, said she was about 15 feet away from the two when the shots rang out.
"It was the scariest night of my life," Volatile said.
"You could never think it would happen to you."
Volatile and her friends ran from the scene and were let into an apartment off Devon Lane, where they called a cab. From the cab, one of Volatile's friends phoned the police.
Currently, there's no reason to believe the shooter or the victim are JMU students.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
BUMP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top