Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2011 10:27:07 PM EDT
I'll be in Clarksburg on 10/9 - 11. Coming in Sunday evening and leaving Tuesday evening.

Any recommendations for some good eats? I like mom n pop kinda places. Are pepperoni rolls a big thing? How about chili dogs?

Sunday afternoon or Tuesday afternoon I could get some shooting in. Where would be good?

I'll be staying at the Wingate in Bridgeport, is that a safe part of town?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes huge facility at the end of the road ;)

Buffalo Wild Wings within walking distance, not much else unless you drive.

Quoted:
I'll be staying at the Wingate in Bridgeport, is that a safe part of town.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Only shooting near Clarksburg will be at Pleasant Creek WMA, over near Grafton.  It's a 200yd range, and is used quite a bit on weekends.  Bring your targets and stands, as there is nothing to post targets on.  I think there is about 10 covered benches, but you should be able to find a bench no problem, as it is not close enough to deer season for the fudds to be out and fill it up.

I use that range once in a while, normally in the early spring/summer, I can have the place to myself on a weekend

As far as pepperoni rolls, they were invented around Fairmont, so that kinda stuff is all over
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes huge facility at the end of the road ;)

Buffalo Wild Wings within walking distance, not much else unless you drive.

Quoted:
I'll be staying at the Wingate in Bridgeport, is that a safe part of town.

It's on top of the hill off the interstate, ain't much happening up there.  I've also never know any part of Cburg not to be safe
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Clarksburg has some of the best Italian food in the country. Try Oliverios restaurant at the end of downtown Bridgeport. There is a closer place to shoot than Present Creek (which gets a little scary when the deer hunters show up in fall). White Horse range is about 20 minutes out side of town on route 20 just the other side of a little spick in the road called Peeltree. They have a web site with directions. Earlier in the year I would go to Present Creek, this time of the year I would go to White Horse. The area you are in is pretty safe if you use a little common sense.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Clarksburg has some of the best Italian food in the country. Try Oliverios restaurant at the end of downtown Bridgeport. There is a closer place to shoot than Present Creek (which gets a little scary when the deer hunters show up in fall). White Horse range is about 20 minutes out side of town on route 20 just the other side of a little spick in the road called Peeltree. They have a web site with directions. Earlier in the year I would go to Present Creek, this time of the year I would go to White Horse. The area you are in is pretty safe if you use a little common sense.

Be warned White Horse is run by a rifle club, and they are complete assholes and pretty much are fudds.  I won't even waste my time down there

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Modern Day hillbilly: I understand where you are comming from on the White horse deal, but I have seen enough life threating stupidity at Pleasant Creek that a little bit of the attitude at White Horse is no big deal compared to the lack of safety elseware. If I was lucky enough to have my own range I wouldn't go anywhere public, but I am not that fortunate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Modern Day hillbilly: I understand where you are comming from on the White horse deal, but I have seen enough life threating stupidity at Pleasant Creek that a little bit of the attitude at White Horse is no big deal compared to the lack of safety elseware. If I was lucky enough to have my own range I wouldn't go anywhere public, but I am not that fortunate.

I tend to avoid Pleasant creek from Oct.-Dec.  I did it once, and the shear number of folks wanting to shoot was enough to make me go home early.   I haven't really went down there in the past year too much now, since they built a range up in Kumbrabow.  No one uses that range ever, I'm always by myself up there.  Only thing is it's a 100yd range, but usually when I want to go long I just go to stonewall.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't been there in years but it was good when I was there like 10 years ago, lol. It's an Italian place called "Muriale's" & it's just up the road a few minutes in Fairmont.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info people, I'm looking forward to the trip.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#10]

For Italian, try Minards or Oliverio's in Clarksburg or Muriale's in Fairmont.  Muriale's and Minard's are famous for their red sauce and been in business forever.  For myself, I like Muriale's the best.  There are some good WV-style hot dog places around like Yann's and Ritzy.  

In Fairmont, Country Club has great traditional pepperoni rolls and Colasessano's has really good ones with sauce.  I like both really well.

Stonewall Jackson is not too far from Clarksburg either to shoot at.  It is straight down I-79.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found out that part of my meals are furnished. So Sunday night I'll probably goto Oliverio's for dinner. Monday or Tuesday I'll hit Ritzy for hot dogs. I'll see what else I can get into.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Oliverio's has been great the five or six times I've eaten there.  Their caprese salad is quite good.  If it's still on the menu, Diablo Chicken was good as well.  That is, if you like spicy food.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I do like spicy, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top