Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 7:29:39 AM EDT
A few friends of mine and myself are looking to do an overnite hike, maybe on the AT.  Anyone have any recomendations? we are trying to stay in between Staunton down to Marion, nothing further...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.hikingupward.com/  Great resource.  I can't really comment for your group since I don't know how fit they are.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I would pick-up the AT somewhere in Giles county.  IIRC Pearisburg is about the bigest town on the entire trail, and well within your area.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Mt. Rogers is fun and definitely offers a different view.  Most hikes around here consist of 99% woods and 1% view, Mt. Rogers is about 80% view and 10% woods.  The strange thing is that most of the wooded portion is at the top, so the only thing you'll see from the highest point in Virginia is a bunch of trees.  It's definitely a very unique hike.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mt. Rogers is fun and definitely offers a different view.  Most hikes around here consist of 99% woods and 1% view, Mt. Rogers is about 80% view and 10% woods.  The strange thing is that most of the wooded portion is at the top, so the only thing you'll see from the highest point in Virginia is a bunch of trees.  It's definitely a very unique hike.

Which number is the one you ment to type????
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Oops math fail.  80% view, 20% woods.

Starting from grayson highlands state park, you're out in the open right up to the last mile or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top