Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 9:57:03 AM EDT
Anyone else notice the increased fighter coverage today?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I get them, in pairs, at least 3 times a day, in the New River Valley.

The frequency does increase right before a major "action", and no out-of-the-ordinary traffic is in my area.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
They are flying over Dulles Airport as I type.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I noticed nothing, since I'm in a building downtown.  Now I talked to my mother and she said she heard DC is in a code red.  Saying that they think something is POSSIBLE to happen in DC tonight or tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I am up in occupied territory at the moment so I hadn't noticed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just about to say they slowed down, when here they come again...A lil further West I think.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If you live in the DC area and notice fighters circling above you, chances are they are involved in a scramble. These occur due to some sort of intrusion into the TFR (for the non-pilots here, that's Temporary Flight Restriction) around DC. Otherwise, the aircraft are in ready alert on the ground or cicling VERY high above where you would not know they are around. Had a scramble last Sunday, really jammed us up for about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you live in the DC area and notice fighters circling above you, chances are they are involved in a scramble. These occur due to some sort of intrusion into the TFR (for the non-pilots here, that's Temporary Flight Restriction) around DC. Otherwise, the aircraft are in ready alert on the ground or cicling VERY high above where you would not know they are around. Had a scramble last Sunday, really jammed us up for about 10 minutes.

Let me tell ya these fast movers were low and loud!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I live just north of the "mixing bowl" (95/495/395), And have been hearing ALOT of military planes AND choppers overhead for the last 2 days....
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I live just north of the "mixing bowl" (95/495/395), And have been hearing ALOT of military planes AND choppers overhead for the last 2 days....

I lived off EDSEL for quite some time,  these folks were over Herndon/Sterling, where I now live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top