Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 11:21:46 AM EDT
I really don't want to send my AR receiver out of state for the required SBR engraving. Anybody recommend a NoVA shop that can do it? Preferably without stripping the lower.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, SEC can do it, they have done two of mine and hundreds of others, just call ahead and make sure one of the guys that knows how is there.
http://www.serviceengraving.com/Service_Engraving_Company_-_Established_1989/Home.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks M4gerySBR!

Just curious, since they do not appear to be a licensed gunsmith do they do the work while you wait or is it legal to leave it with them?

Also, do they know the proper font size and depth of engraving to satisfy the ATF requirement or did you need to be very specific with them?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a problem.

They are not an FFL, that is why you have to call, you have to wait while they do it because they cannot be in possession of your firearm without you.  Also, I think only 3-4 people work there but only one or two guys know how to work the engraver to get the proper size and depth to meet the ATF requirements.  Call and tell them you need an SBR engraved, they will know exactly what you are talking about and the only question they will ask you is where you want the engraving.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree, Service Engraving did my SW MP-15 lower last year for $30.  It did take him 45 mins while I waited since he said that he hadn't seen a gun with harder metal and went through 3 bits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]

a sample from dominion in Richmond
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the work piece was not secured well.  I've seen worse though.  Much worse.

Edit:  Actually on further evaluation, it looks like they used a dull engraving tool and ran it at way too high a speed and too deep on the passes.  You get that chipping like that around the edges on hard anodized aluminum when you rush it.  Trick is to go slow and repeat your passes going in a couple of thousandths at a time.  Takes longer but looks better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
What about in the Hampton Roads area?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the responses. Does anybody know if it is better to have the engraving done FIRST then submit the paperwork to the ATF (that way you know the receiver is correctly marked before its registered and before you assemble it into an SBR configuration) or should you wait until you have the Form1 in hand before the engraving? The only problem being if the engraver screws up the receiver that is already tied to the Form1. I seem to find different opinions on this. Above all else I want to keep this legal from start to finish so I am not even going to thing about buying a short barrel upper until I have a stamped Form1 and an engraved receiver.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
- Have lower engraved.
- Submit Form 1.
- Wait.
- Wait.
- Wait.
- Assemble SBR after receiving approved Form 1.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]

looks like he could do threading too?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#13]
There is no need to engrave before submitting the form, but if you are confident your trust city and state will be approved there is no harm either.  

You CANNOT however put a SBR upper onto the form 1 lower until it is engraved!!  It's a similar crime to being in possession of a gun with the serial numbers scratched off in terms of super fun prison time.  If this is your first SBR you cannot be in possession of any upper that could make a SBR until it is stamped and engraved (unless you own an AR pistol that was legally transfered as a pistol).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs623.snc4/58293_486000199808_542704808_6713076_8094287_n.jpg

a sample from dominion in Richmond http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif

Ehh. Next time call Mike at TSC machine. He isn't cheap but does good work. He is right up past Kings Dominion. Guy mainly does HK work but can do some engraving. I can shoot you a pic of mine if you want. If you want anything fancy thought it would be better to send off a lower to one of the professional engraving shops before sending out the form 1(unless you are not getting nfa stuff like you did in the pic above).

Quoted:
There is no need to engrave before submitting the form, but if you are confident your trust city and state will be approved there is no harm either.  

You CANNOT however put a SBR upper onto the form 1 lower until it is engraved!!  It's a similar crime to being in possession of a gun with the serial numbers scratched off in terms of super fun prison time.  If this is your first SBR you cannot be in possession of any upper that could make a SBR until it is stamped and engraved (unless you own an AR pistol that was legally transfered as a pistol).

You have a few reasons why it can be better to get it engraved first. Big one would be you can take it to more places to have the work done. Also if they mess it up you can replace it without issue(or they can).

If you are starting off with a stripped lower you can build it as a pistol, it doesn't need to be registered as one or marked. If you are starting with a rifle lower(IE it came with a stock) then yea you need to wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top