Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2010 5:18:39 AM EDT
Where do you guys take your cars when they need real work done?

I'm thinking I have an engine/drivetrain issue and need to have it looked at.  (I'm at 139k and the car is over 10 years old so no warranty)

I'm a regular customer at Kaz, but have been turned off by some of their prices in the past and I've already tried once with them to get this identified.

Anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try American(?) Automotive on 610 between the vacant gas station and Anne Moncure Elementary...
Ask specifically for Bill Henkin to work on your vehicle.
Bill is a close friend.. he won't rip you off, but he won't do half-ass work either... and he is good at what he does.
Tell him Mikey sent ya...
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Try American(?) Automotive on 610 between the vacant gas station and Anne Moncure Elementary...

Bill is a close friend.. he won't rip you off, but he won't do half-ass work either... and he is good at what he does.

Yeah, I have family in Stafford and they only use American Automotive.  The shop has an electric sign outside their building now if that helps you find it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I have family in Stafford and they only use American Automotive.  The shop has an electric sign outside their building now if that helps you find it.

good point.. forgot about the new time/temp sign they have out now...  friggin' bright sign after dark.. lol
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, called American to get their dropoff procedure.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

so how did things go for ya?
do I need to go smack Billy around for ya?.. lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

so how did things go for ya?
do I need to go smack Billy around for ya?.. lol

Damn I knew I forgot something.

No Billy did just fine, unfortunately for American, circumstances required me to take it back to Kaz.  The problem turned out to be my front axles.  The boots had come loose or off, the left axle had no grease and was just grinding itself to death.  The right one was on its way there.  Basically the thumping I heard was the joint flopping around when it didn't have forward/backward tension.

The axles were still under warranty so I only had to cover labor.  American didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting the paperwork from Kaz, etc.. and I don't blame them.  The shop manager (owner?  not sure) at Kaz was not happy to hear his guys missed something so obvious and that I went elsewhere.  He took care of me and covered the labor too since it cost me money at American and money with him a few weeks prior when they missed it.  So I still came out ahead in the long run.  I'm happy and Kaz gets to keep my business again for the short term.

Now we need to figure out why I keep tearing up axles.  This will be the third swap out of the left side since '07.  It's entirely possible that the CarQuest parts are crap...the first set they sent Kaz turned out to be crap.  The tech said the whole car rattled when he got it on the road, put the old ones back in and it at least drove right.  The second set they got worked out.

Thanks Mikey.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool! Glad things are working out...
I quit dealing with Kaz's years back when the old man sold out.

I hope they figure out the axle thing... most every shop in that area uses CarQuest or NAPA...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top