Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2009 6:53:12 AM EDT
Who does engraving in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area?  I am trying to getan SBR, but cannot send the lower off to be engraved.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Any Trophy/Awards shop should be able to do it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Per ATF Publication 5300.4 - section 479.102  " How must firearms be identified?, any gun manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002 must have manufacturer information placed at a minimun depth of .003” with a height no smaller than 1/16,  engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or otherwise conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel.

I think the issue is that most trophy engravers use a laser engraver now and the depth doesn't meet ATF's .003" standard.  

RC109a, can't you just send it to Orion Arms?  I understand the turn around time is pretty quick.  Link here:  http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
IM sent
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
WayneG
I cannot have this rifle down for more then a few days.  Trying to do an over the counter deal without needing to buy a new lower to get it done.  This is my work rifle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WayneG
I cannot have this rifle down for more then a few days.  Trying to do an over the counter deal without needing to buy a new lower to get it done.  This is my work rifle.

Contact D&R or the ARMORY, both are local Class III dealers and they may be able to steer you to a local shop that meets ATF's requirements.  The fact is that most of the local engravers do not meet the required depth.  I gave up looking locally quite a while ago and worked with Orion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WayneG

If it doesn't matter, I'll give you a lower to use while you send yours out to get engraved. You can even take your pick on a stock ... UBR, Vltor, CTR.

Can't keep a man from owning a SBR!  lol

I know for a fact that these guys can do it:

Village Engraver
5326 Fairfield Shopping Ctr
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-4213

Get Directions
(757) 495-7274

- villageengraver.com‎
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank guys for the help. Monday I will be calling a few up.  Thanks for the offer on the lower.  I have a couple of extra lwers that are set up, but my serial number is registered as my qualified weapon.  The boss might not be happy if something went down if you know what I mean (good point though and I might just ask about doing it and see if a waiver can be granted).
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Call D&R Arms at 483-6948. I've seen engraved lowers in his shop. But I'm not sure if he does them or just handles the paperwork. He is a class 3 dealer and a manufacturer too.

D&R engraves on site. Give him a call.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I called Village engraver.  They said they actually engrave to ATF specs (even told me what they are).  It is not laser engraving so it meet the reqs.  Very nice people to deal with and very gun friendly.  I will let you know how it turns out...  Thanks for the help...

By the way I called D&R and they said they will not mess with it.  Said they don't need the business.  The phone call was rude and short.  I guess I will not be looking at getting anything from them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#10]
This is great, finally a local engraver who can meet the spec.  I know where I'm taking my next SBR.  Thanks, R.D..

Sorry to hear about your experience with D&R.  Most folks have had good experiences with them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the research. I'll have to go to them when I get around to doing a SBR. Hopefully early next year.

I wonder if they can do it in the trigger guard like Orion. I'm not fond of the other locations.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I am not a fan of D&R.  They are not very polite and are quite overpriced.  I am in the process of getting a lower squared away for a stamp and was thinking of going with Orion but if there is a local engraver that will do it to the ATF regs then they may get the business.  Good to know.  Good luck, please post how your experience is with village engravers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top