Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2009 4:53:03 PM EDT
How is this gun show? If I have a PA license but am stationed in VA with an active mil ID can I buy a rifle?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring a copy of your orders showing your assignment to a post/base in Virginia, you should be able to.  Not all dealers are up to speed on this though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, bring your orders. If they give you grief, tell them to call it in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a new show, first one at this location.

I will have a table there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a new show, first one at this location.

I will have a table there.

Same here!
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is this gunshow?  Is it the one north of Richmond near Kings Dominion (I forget the address but I saw it mentioned somewhere else last weekend)?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where is this gunshow?  Is it the one north of Richmond near Kings Dominion (I forget the address but I saw it mentioned somewhere else last weekend)?

Yes, it is off of route 30 east of Kings Dominion. They call it Meadow Event Park, if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is off of route 30 east of Kings Dominion. They call it Meadow Event Park, if I recall correctly.

Anyone have a website? It's not on Showmasters or C&E.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good to go, just orders or will I need anything else? I was looking to by a AR, does the show normally have a decent selection?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have a website? It's not on Showmasters or C&E.

http://www.guns-knives.com/calendar.php

It's an SGK show.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to go, just orders or will I need anything else? I was looking to by a AR, does the show normally have a decent selection?

Bring all the ID you have to be on the safe side. You also need proof of US citizenship to buy a complete AR.

Also this is the first time they are having a show at this venue, so I can't say what the selection will be like. I will have a somewhat decent selection, for a small timer like myself.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring all the ID you have to be on the safe side. You also need proof of US citizenship to buy a complete AR.

Also this is the first time they are having a show at this venue, so I can't say what the selection will be like. I will have a somewhat decent selection, for a small timer like myself.

I would imagine a mil ID would prove proof of US citizenship? Birth certificate and passport aren't with me at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Mil ID only proves citizenship if you are an officer.  Any legal resident can enlist.  Must be a citizen to be be commissioned an officer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to go, should be able to buy an AR then.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine a mil ID would prove proof of US citizenship? Birth certificate and passport aren't with me at the moment.

Mil ID is not listed on the VA state police website.
Scroll down to transfer of assualt fiream.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't realize there was going to be a show this weekend. Might have to go sunday and see whats going on(have plans for Saturday).
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mil ID is not listed on the VA state police website.
Scroll down to transfer of assualt fiream.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Hmm... Well I'll still be going, and if having a DL and mil ID isn't enough I guess I'm out of luck. I didn't realize VA gun laws are restrictive in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Your Mil ID, home state DL and a copy of your orders are suffiecient for everything except assault weapons.  Then you'd need Proof of Citizenship too.  Of course, some dealers at shows aren't up to speed on all of that, so you may end up getting hosed anyway.

Mil ID doesn't satisfy citizenship, as you don't have to be a citizen to serve.  And the law isn't specific enough to note that officers must be citizens.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
lots of AK's, lots of AR's, not much ammo compared to the other Richmond shows.

got my AR15 stripped lower for $110.  Its and Yankee Hill Machine lower.  Already have the A2 butt stock and lower parts kit in it and its on the upper and in the new case I also bought.

I'll definately go up there again.  Nice place, nice show.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lots of AK's, lots of AR's, not much ammo compared to the other Richmond shows.

got my AR15 stripped lower for $110.  Its and Yankee Hill Machine lower.  Already have the A2 butt stock and lower parts kit in it and its on the upper and in the new case I also bought.

I'll definately go up there again.  Nice place, nice show.

That was me that you bought that YHM lower from.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
So is the Doswell show GTG?  Since the weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow I think I might head up there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So is the Doswell show GTG?  Since the weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow I think I might head up there.

All the usually suspects are there and it is a nice venue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Show was a little light on the gun dealers, but the usual big boys were there with few of the others.  Nice facility, alot of space in between rows, free parking, easy in and out.  I think once the word gets out to some of the other vendors, this show ought to take off.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Agreed.  The venue is nice, there's ample parking, and the location appeared to be sufficiently remote to deter the usual interdicted denizens of the Showplace/ RIR area from showing up to attempt straw purchases.

I would like to see this show do well and grow.  I think in the long term, though, the gun show dealers will prove to be their own worst enemies with the prices they ask for their mostly slim pickin's.  The "usual suspects" didn't have anything I can't live without until I find a better price on the web.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think in the long term, though, the gun show dealers will prove to be their own worst enemies with the prices they ask for their mostly slim pickin's.  The "usual suspects" didn't have anything I can't live without until I find a better price on the web.  

This, the one make/model I was looking for, I can find cheaper on the web with transfer fees and shipping.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think in the long term, though, the gun show dealers will prove to be their own worst enemies with the prices they ask for their mostly slim pickin's. The "usual suspects" didn't have anything I can't live without until I find a better price on the web.

This, the one make/model I was looking for, I can find cheaper on the web with transfer fees and shipping.

Some of these dealers are complete idiots.  I went there looking for a Magpul rear sight.  Found two dealers who had them however, neither would sell just the rear.  I asked why and they both said because the rear sights are in very short supply.  My response: So you would rather make no sale then sell me the rear sight?  So if either of you dealers happen to read this, you get Tipsovr double middle finger salute.  I will find it on that interweb thingy.

Over all the show venue is very nice.  Not the greatest selection but for a first time show not bad.  Certainly has great potential.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think in the long term, though, the gun show dealers will prove to be their own worst enemies with the prices they ask for their mostly slim pickin's.  The "usual suspects" didn't have anything I can't live without until I find a better price on the web.  

Back in March I went to Showplace and came back to Green Top. When doing paperwork noticed that all people filling out forms had a stamp on the forearm from the show. Practically even with $50 transfer/shipping I can get less expensive on Internet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#27]

I also went.  The facility was great, and as others said, plenty of room to move around.  It was pretty dead on Saturday, but I would think it is a good location as soon as word gets out.  

I picked up an XD .40 subcompact for $469.  Prices were down on those quite a bit from the prior week's show in Fredericksburg.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]
<<––-one of the usual suspects in attendance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Were you just spectatin', or was that you next to the GOP folks this afternoon?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next to the GOP folks, and the candle man......real gun territory  :(

Hopefully one day when my company grows up, they'll let us sit at the adult gun table.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully one day when my company grows up, they'll let us sit at the adult gun table.

Not too much room for growth with those particular GOP folks next door –– they were some of the most well-fed livestock at the Fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too much room for growth with those particular GOP folks next door –– they were some of the most well-fed livestock at the Fairgrounds.

LMFAO  :)

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had an open table next to my two tables. We could have moved you over there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps a change of scenery would have been beneficial!

I always like it when I'm near one of the big gun dealers. We do much better when people buy a gun and can come right to us to sign up for training.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always like it when I'm near one of the big gun dealers. We do much better when people buy a gun and can come right to us to sign up for training.

I was by one of the bigger dealers and they didn't do so well.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was by one of the bigger dealers and they didn't do so well.

Well, where we were, we did less well than even that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top