Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2009 8:47:17 AM EDT
Wachovia's stance on lawfully carried firearms on their premises has been the subject of some discussion in the past.  To no one's surprise, an armed bank robber had the <gasp> audacity to disregard their prohibition of firearms.  Thankfully, the bank robber didn't kill, maim, or injure anyone inside the branch  ... this time.

ARLINGTON, VA-The Arlington County Police Department’s Robbery Unit is seeking the public’s help to identify a man who robbed a bank this afternoon.

Shortly before 2 p.m. on Monday, September 28, 2009, an unknown man entered a bank in the 900 block of S. George Mason Drive.  The suspect displayed a handgun and jumped over the counter.  The suspect fled the store after receiving an unknown amount of currency.  No one was injured.

At the time of the robbery, the suspect was wearing a dark colored head covering, a dark jacket or hooded sweatshirt, green camouflage pants, and tan work boots.  He was also carrying a black book bag and a black handgun.

If you know the identity of the suspect, exercise extreme caution and do not try to apprehend him yourself.  Call 9-1-1 immediately.  He should be considered armed and dangerous.  Anyone with information that may be relevant to this investigation is asked to call the Arlington County Police Department Tip Line at (703) 228-4242, or Detective John Donaggio at (703) 228-4167.

Witnesses can also call Arlington County Crime Solvers at 866-411-TIPS (8477). Crime Solvers offers a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest. Callers to Crime Solvers do not have to give their names and do not need to testify in court.

Here's a link showing the branch ...

Edited today, 1 Oct, with the next robbery ...

Two masked men robbed a Wachovia Bank branch in McLean Thursday morning, Fairfax County police said, but no one was hurt and the suspects escaped.

The robbery occurred about 10:03 a.m. at the Wachovia branch at 6260 Old Dominion Drive, in the Chesterbrook Plaza shopping center near Kirby Road. Police said both robbers displayed handguns and demanded money from one teller, which they received before fleeing.

Witnesses told police they believe the robbers were black men, both between 6 feet 2 and 6 feet 4 inches tall, and both weighing around 240 pounds. While one man was dressed in a dark hooded sweatshirt with white patches, the other was wearing a yellow hard hat and a bright orange jacket with reflecting stripes, in addition to the black mask on his face.

Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call police at 866-411-TIPS/8477.

Here's a link

Edited today, 8 Oct, with the next robbery ... that's three robberies in a scant two weeks.

Updated 7:00 PM EDT, Thu, Oct 8, 2009
ALEXANDRIA, Va. –– Three Alexandria schools were locked down for about an hour Thursday morning as police searched for an armed bank robber, according to the Alexandria Police Department.

At about 10:20 p.m., a man walked into the Wachovia branch in the 3600 block of King Street, approached a teller, displayed a firearm and demanded money, police said. The man fled with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police searched the area with the help of K-9 units. T.C. Williams High School, T.C. Williams Minnie Howard and Francis Hammond Middle School were locked down as a precaution while police searched.

Officers took a person of interest into custody for questioning, police said.

No one was harmed in the robbery.

Here's a link ...

Updated today, 17 Oct 2009, to reflect the contribution by USMC2671, below.  Here's the news release from Fairfax County PD (link) with some photos.

West Springfield Police District – A 46-year-old female teller was robbed while working at the Wachovia Bank located at 8900 Burke Lake Road. Two masked men armed with handguns, entered the bank on Wednesday, October 14 shortly after 10 a.m. and demanded money. Bank employees were placed in a room near the front of the bank. An undisclosed amount of cash was handed over and nobody was injured. It is believed these suspects are the same who committed the October 1 robbery at the Wachovia Bank located on 6260 Old Dominion Drive.

Both suspects were described as black, between 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall and weighing between 230 to 250 pounds.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

Hey Wachovia ...  How's that Gun-Free Zone stuff working out for ya'?  As long as you ensure those carrying arms lawfully don't darken your door, in all likelihood, only robbers and thugs will be visiting your branches while armed.

Herding employees into a room is troubling ... A hallmark of robberies with no survivors is corralling the victims prior to killing them. Wachovia will continue to ensure their banks are unarmed victim zones ... and criminals will be happy to take advantage of this.  

Rest assured Wachovia senior managers never set foot into a Wachovia branch.  They've learned through experience that Wachovia employees can be murdered while in these corporate-warranted safe-for-criminals zones.  (<–– Click This Link ––> to learn how Wachovia's 'heart goes out to their employees and families,' when Wachovia employees are murdered and injured.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, I love shit like this...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I left Wachovia becuase of their "it's for your safety" stance, went to Sun Trust.

Sadly, Sun Trust just botch underwriting a mortgage for me, and I had to sweeten the pot for BB&T by promising to move my business there.

Long story short, it's a place in Louisa that no one else would touch because of a lack of comps and the high value of the land vs the house value, Sun Trust didn't even have the courtesy to call me when they refused to underwrite it, I had to call and was told "I just got the email."

The BB&T loan officer in Culpeper says their branch is not marked "no guns" when I told her I was swallowing my principles to bank with them.

We'll see, but she went to bat for me when no one else would.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate you guys listing (by name) businesses that are specifically anti-gun.  Please keep it up. Businesses listen when customers terminate accounts (AND give reasons for doing so).   These are EXCATLY the sorts of posts that we need in Hometown.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]

about  1 mile from my door.

Link Posted: 9/30/2009 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
First Market Bank is great with carrying, never an issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Concealed is Concealed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a armed guard at a military installation right up the street... To say that we were a hive of activity when that call went over the net is an understatement! We had guys headed toward the bank with their M4s! They posted me on the roof of the parking garage with the binos... About 20 cruisers went speeding past! Evidently the guy ran into the park north of the bank and the K-9 units lost the trail after the perp ran through a stream... He must've got away...
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Why can't these criminals ecer follow the rules? Wachovia explicitly said that they don't want any firearms in their buildings
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why can't these criminals ecer follow the rules? Wachovia explicitly said that they don't want any firearms in their buildings

Wachovia wants to make it a work safe environment for criminals to operate,
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wachovia wants to make it a work safe environment for criminals to operate,

Success!  See original post for update concerning a new robbery.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not justifying it by any means.  However, does anyone remember the Bank of America teller that was fired because he refused to give the robber money and ended up chasing him down?  It seems like these two correspond with their idea that money is replaceable and lives are not.  Discuss.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I bank with Wachovia (opened my account at the first bank that was robbed, incidentally), and OC into different branches all the time. I have not had an issue yet. My girlfriend works as a floating teller when she is home from school in the NoVA area. She has been lucky enough to not be there when they have been held up. Almost wish she would be there, to open her eyes up a bit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
October 1 to January 1 is ALWAYS bank robbery season in Virginia.....happens every year.

Thank goodness for drive up teller windows.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#14]
strange but true...wonder why?  Holidays approaching?  

Quoted:
October 1 to January 1 is ALWAYS bank robbery season in Virginia.....happens every year.

Thank goodness for drive up teller windows.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Aw CRAP! That bank is in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
My original post was updated with the report of today's Wachovia robbery.

On the bright side, no one was killed or maimed today.  This time Wachovia's luck, and more importantly, Wachovia's customers' luck, held sway.

On the even brighter side, a suspect seems to have been arrested.

While Wachovia has been on VCDL's wall of shame for quite a while ... Wachovia's policies don't just hamper the ability of the Commonwealth's citizens who bank with them for whatever reason.  Wachovia's policies seem to have the same consequences nationwide, as indicated by the examples below from the last couple of weeks:

Here's a Wachovia robbery in Exeter, Pennsylvania < - - Click Me, I'm a Link - - >

Here's a Wachovia robbery in Lenexa, Kansas < - - Click Me, I'm a Link Too (and Two) - - >

Eff Wachovia.  

Eff those who would abridge man's natural right to defend oneself with arms.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Can I hear #4?!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Good grief! Three times in two weeks. I hope anyone that works at that branch would be quitting unless they lifted that stupid gun free zone crap. I certainly would, especially after being robbed three times. You would think that after the second time the cops might keep someone in the area in plain clothes, just in case.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a armed guard at a military installation right up the street... To say that we were a hive of activity when that call went over the net is an understatement! We had guys headed toward the bank with their M4s! They posted me on the roof of the parking garage with the binos... About 20 cruisers went speeding past! Evidently the guy ran into the park north of the bank and the K-9 units lost the trail after the perp ran through a stream... He must've got away...

What are armed military guards doing heading to a civilian crime scene?
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are armed military guards doing heading to a civilian crime scene?

I'll wait for Delta0313 to weigh in, but:

"armed guard at a military installation" is not equal to "armed military guards"

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy crap!  The bank is a gun magnet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I OC at my local TD Bank every week.

Never an issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy crap!  The bank is a gun an armed criminal magnet.

Fixed it for you ...

Thanks again, USMC2671, for the update!

As I related in the 17 Oct update to my original post ...

Herding employees into a room is troubling ... A hallmark of robberies with no survivors is corralling the victims prior to killing them. Wachovia will continue to ensure their banks are unarmed victim zones ... and criminals will be happy to take advantage of this.

Rest assured that Wachovia senior managers never set foot into a Wachovia branch. They've learned through experience that Wachovia employees can be murdered while in these corporate-warranted safe-for-criminals zones. (<–– Click This Link ––> to learn how Wachovia's 'heart goes out to their employees and families,' when Wachovia employees are murdered and injured.)
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
<devils advocate>

Since noone was injured I would say their policy has worked. The possibility of innocents being injured when an armed citizen engages in a gunfight with a robber goes up exponentially

</devils advocate>

I'm just saying it's just preaching to the choir. To those who do not think like us , it just makes us look fairly "silly" instead of winning over hearts and minds.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
<devils advocate>
Since noone was injured I would say their policy has worked. The possibility of innocents being injured when an armed citizen engages in a gunfight with a robber goes up exponentially</devils advocate>

I'm just saying it's just preaching to the choir. To those who do not think like us , it just makes us look fairly "silly" instead of winning over hearts and minds.  

It all depends.  I think most of us know to not engage unless lives are at risk (and some of us will only defend ourselves and not strangers).

Once the bad guy escelates to that point, the likelihood of innocents being injured is very near 100%.  Don't know how you get higher than that.

And I am unaware of ANY situation where a good guy engaged a bad guy and others were injured.  And if there are, you have to juxtapose those incidents against incidents where innocents were injured/killed when no one did anything to thwart the bad guy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The Oakton BB&T was robbed today. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2009/110209bankroboakton.htm
To add to the vehicle description, it was Chevy with a Maryland tag.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#28]
An interesting bit of information, I thought:  

I had a piece of paper on my desk that said "Wachovia" and I flipped out because I was wondering if I had actually given the bastards any business.  It turns out to be an invoice from Heckler and Koch - USA.  Apparently they bank with Wachovia.

So interestingly enough, Wachovia is anti-gun, but doesn't mind benefiting from their sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top