Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2009 1:13:18 PM EDT
A friend of mine is convinced there is a Virginia law which limits how many guns you can purchase in a month (2 rifles/1 handgun). This sounds like bs to me as I find it hard to believe there's a limit to what YOU can buy with YOUR money. Anyone care to chime in here?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure about rifles but, you are limited to 1 handgun per 30 days unless you have a carry permit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm –– the only limit is for handguns (with certain exceptions).  You can buy as many long guns (rifles, shotguns) per month as you like.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It's also handy if you want to tell your wife that you have to buy a handgun every month... "it's the law!"
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As others have said the law says one handgun a month tops unless you have a concealed handgun permit. Really if you are going to buy a pistol you should take the class and get a concealed handgun permit anyway. With a CHP if you go to buy a second handgun within 30 days they have to call in the check but other than that you are gtg. Seems to take them a little longer to process but not by much. Last time I bought a handgun within a month of another I think it took them 10 minutes to do the background checks. Guy might have just been slower than others.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for setting it straight fellas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
No rifle limit, unless it is considered an "assault weapon" right? I am pretty sure that there is a limit on "assault" weapons per month. I want to say it is a limit of 2 or 3 or something. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No rifle limit, unless it is considered an "assault weapon" right? I am pretty sure that there is a limit on "assault" weapons per month. I want to say it is a limit of 2 or 3 or something. Is this correct?

I don't think so...

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so...

Yeah, nevermind. I tried to find something but couldn't and I can't remember where I heard it. It may have been at a gunshop or something, overhearing someone say that, but I can't find any such restriction in VSP or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I was under the impression of 1 gun a month period until Halloween.  The nice folks at Town Gun in Martinsville informed me that I could buy all the long guns I wanted when I said I couldn't decide between a Weatherby and a Browning A-bolt Shot Show special with octagonal barrel.........bastards!  That's like taking a kid to a candy store and telling him he can have the whole store if he wants it.  So after $1900 for two rifles and scopes I learned a valuable lesson...  Don't let the man behind the counter be too helpful.

In all seriousness, they're great to deal with.  They spent 2 or 3 hours showing me several different guns and waiting on me to make up my mind.  I've always had great transactions with them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was under the impression of 1 gun a month period until Halloween.  The nice folks at Town Gun in Martinsville informed me that I could buy all the long guns I wanted when I said I couldn't decide between a Weatherby and a Browning A-bolt Shot Show special with octagonal barrel.........bastards!  That's like taking a kid to a candy store and telling him he can have the whole store if he wants it.  So after $1900 for two rifles and scopes I learned a valuable lesson...  Don't let the man behind the counter be too helpful.

In all seriousness, they're great to deal with.  They spent 2 or 3 hours showing me several different guns and waiting on me to make up my mind.  I've always had great transactions with them.

I've had really good experiences with them as well. Just to clarify for anyone else who may want to patronize their establishment, it's actually Town Police Supply, in Collinsville. Excellent shop! And not nearly as LE-centric as the Richmond store. I do recall seeing a Barrett M82 on the shelf there one time!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Also remember that some of the Brady law is still in effect and if you buy more than one handgun in 5 days, all of the info that goes on the 4473 is duplicated, then faxed to the ATF tracing center before the close of buisness day. The other copy is sent to the state police, probobly round filed there. This is a fed thing, and is in effect regardless of 1 handgun a month exemption, LEO or so on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#12]
if you don't have a Carry Permit you can go to the nearest State Police Building and request a multiple handgun purchase form. i have no idea what it's called or if it has a # but i know it exists. i had several guys run down the street and get them then buy two pistols at the same time. my boss at the time (gun shop owner) didn't have his permit and did this more than once.

as for the multiple hand gun purchase, if you buy more than 1 handgun from the SAME dealer in any 5 day period the dealer has to turn a multiple handgun report (forgot the number of that form too). there is no "extra" form if you buy the pistols from different places.

when it comes to rifles and shotguns, buy as many as your little heart desires. (if you buy 20 AK's and get a visit from a guy in a suit, that's on you)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top