Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2009 8:01:31 PM EDT
Hola!  

I'm back in the area for a few weeks TDY.  I'm working nights but would like to check out the NRA range one day during the daytime on a weekday later this week or next week.  Anyone up for shooting during the day?  Which days/times are less crowded?  

I've never actually been to the range there, and need to take the class/test/whatever.  Don't have enough time/access to ranges up in NY and I'd like to get in some pistol drills.  I have a brand-new S&W 340PD to break in also, so if anyone's spotted .38 Special ammo in any of the area Wal-Marts/Dick's please LMK.  

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
NRA Range is open:

Mondays: 10AM-5PM
Tuesdays: CLOSED
Wednesdays: 5PM-10PM
Thursdays: 5PM-10PM
Fridays: 10AM-10PM
Saturdays: 8:30AM-10PM
Sundays: 8:30AM-7PM

They sell .38SPL ammo there––it's remanufactured stuff, mixed headstamps, 125gr bullets with some pretty slow powder (a good-sized fireball + the gun warming up considerably after only one box), $15 for a box of 50.

The "test" is a worksheet, and they give you a packet of info with all the answers, and you read and regurgitate the info from the packet onto the worksheet.  Easy as pie, $10 one-time fee.

Hourly fees for range-use is $14 for NRA members, $18 for non-NRA members.  You pay for an hour, but if the range isn't busy the RSOs will let you stay as long as you like.

Weekdays, the range isn't crowded at all, and weekends it's getting better as the weather gets warmer/nicer––more people spending time outdoors.

Pistol drills are do-able, though they only allow drawing from a belt-holster (IWB or OWB) on the strong-side.  The targets can edge and face on a timer, and can be set for any distance from 1 foot to 150 feet.

I'm there all the time, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays around 7:30-8PM, and weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) from 1PM-3PM.  Mondays I'm there around 4PMish.  Most of the time, I can get a lane right as I show up, though sometimes I have to wait, usually not more than 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  With my schedule it looks like Friday will be the best time to make the trip out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  With my schedule it looks like Friday will be the best time to make the trip out.

The wife and I may try and make it out Friday night. You still going?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The wife and I may try and make it out Friday night. You still going?

I have to be at work at 9pm, so I'll probably go in the morning.  Or maybe mid-afternoon.  

Of course this depends on how wrecked I am after tonights overnight...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you see a dufus sighting in a Colt 6920, that's me.  i plan on being there, just haven't settled in on a time yet.  if you decide to laugh at me, that's ok, i'm sure you won't be the first.  i look at it this way, i know i'm enjoying myself.  i may or may not be there with some co-workers. we're all friendly, feel free to come up and introduce yourself if you want.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you see a dufus sighting in a Colt 6920, that's me.  i plan on being there, just haven't settled in on a time yet.  if you decide to laugh at me, that's ok, i'm sure you won't be the first.  i look at it this way, i know i'm enjoying myself.  i may or may not be there with some co-workers. we're all friendly, feel free to come up and introduce yourself if you want.

What sort of crazy, laughable stuff are you going to be doing signting in that 6920?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What sort of crazy, laughable stuff are you going to be doing sighting in that 6920?

Actually, i shouldn't be doing anything crazy, i just sortof was in a self-deprecating humor mood last night.  i push a mouse for a living so while i enjoy shooting, there is some humor at least for me in that i'll be sitting there sighting in an AR.  i guess it's the juxtaposition of me sighting in for a hobby while the next guy over looks like he's practicing for work where his life depends on his skill.  i have no idea if what i'm trying to say makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Well..hmm...Friday (tomorrow) I should be @ the NRA range around 4PMish, shooting revolvers at 50 yards.  Perhaps I'll see you there!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hola!  

I'm back in the area for a few weeks TDY.  I'm working nights but would like to check out the NRA range one day during the daytime on a weekday later this week or next week.  Anyone up for shooting during the day?  Which days/times are less crowded?  

I've never actually been to the range there, and need to take the class/test/whatever.  Don't have enough time/access to ranges up in NY and I'd like to get in some pistol drills.  I have a brand-new S&W 340PD to break in also, so if anyone's spotted .38 Special ammo in any of the area Wal-Marts/Dick's please LMK.  

Thanks!  

Aw DAMN!!!  I have crazy meetings tomorrow or I would love to go shoot with you guys!

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I can try and come in tomorrow earlier if a few of you will be there. i'll try for mid-to-late afternoon, unless we want to decide on a time???
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to shoot for opening time.  I need to take the test/class so I'll be in there sometime after 10-ish for an hour or so.  

Forgot my range bag so I'll have a black leather briefcase full of ammo.  Shooting a Sig P229R and the new J-frame.  

Gonna hit FL Walmart first to check on ammo.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Argh, late getting out of work today.  Might make it later this afternoon, otherwise Monday.  :(

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to try for around 4. I'll have a Colt 6920 and a Sig229.  Will be looking for WMW221 as well.

Name is Rick
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
What was the ammo situation at Fairlakes?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Never made it today.  Thought about trying tomorrow, but it sounds like the range is crowded on Saturdays.  I guess most ranges are.  

But it's open Monday morning, so I'll try then.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never made it today.  Thought about trying tomorrow, but it sounds like the range is crowded on Saturdays.  I guess most ranges are.  

But it's open Monday morning, so I'll try then.

I haven't had the time to get over there much recently, but the weekend before last my friend and I decided to make time to stop by and sight in his rifle. I was just throwing money in the well, so to speak. It was mid-day Saturday and there was no wait at all. We both got a lane right next to each other and stayed for about an hour. By the time we left there were even fewer people there than when we arrived.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
i made it in and was in there at about 11:40.  it took me about 25 rounds or so to sight in the BUIS and another 10-20 to sight in my Aimpoint.  Since i'd like to put about 500 rounds thru the Colt before my EAG class at the end of the month, I spent the last 10-20 minutes going thru the remaining 200 or so rounds I brought with me getting me halfway to my goal.  All in all, I'm happy with the gun. I wasn't sure how it'd feel compared to the RRA, but after shooting it, it's way lighter and now i'm drinking the Colt kool-aid, mmmm, tastes so good.

I saw 3 guys with ARs, the one next to me when i was leaving had a quad rail, bipod and EOTech (I handed him my two remaining EOTech sighting sheets), 2 down from him, I couldn't get a good look but he was wearing a New Orleans something shirt, and 2 down from that guy was a couple dudes in khakis and button-downs or polo shirts standing and firing an AR with a vertical grip.  if it was one of you guys, you have to get that chicken wing down.

oh yeah, no wait, it was basically 6 guys the entire time i was there
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it still $20 for box of 9mm at the NRA?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Headed out there in about an hour.  

WM, 6'2", black polo shirt.  Shooting a Sig & J-Frame.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I was there at 10 a.m., about 10 or 15 lanes occupied, 3 guys were shooting AR-15s, but of the two I spoke with, none that post here.  By 11:40 a.m., there were only two other lanes occupied.  Seems like Monday a.m. is the time to go (if you can get off work).  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seems like Monday a.m. is the time to go (if you can get off work).  

I'd be incredibly active and productive, if only I didn't have to work!  

Got there around 4:30, did the test, signed up, and had time to put 15 rounds through the new J-frame and two magazines through the Glock that hasn't been shot in 3 years. Maybe later this week I'll be able to go back.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I was on around 4:30, too, in lane 3, sighting in some red-dots mounted to some of my .22 pistols, and then I stuck around for the Pistol League from 5PM->8PM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
stuck around for the Pistol League from 5PM->8PM.

What sort of pistol league was that?  I saw a number of guys with the standard competition boxes.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]
http://members.cox.net/~metropistol/ –– the Metropolitan Pistol League, a .22 Bullseye/Conventional Pistol league.

Starting in September, and going on until mid-May (barring any range renovation like we had this year), we meet after the range closes to the public at 5PM on Mondays and shoot Bullseye Pistol with .22 caliber handguns.  Our course of fire is the Double National Match Course: Slowfire, 20 rounds in 20 minutes at 50 yards; Timed-fire, four 5-shot strings, 20 seconds per string, at 25 yards; and Rapid-fire, four 5-shot strings, 10 seconds per string, at 25 yards (the NMC is usually half as long, with 10-10-10).  We shoot for score, which counts for both our handicapped team scores (each week we shoot against a different team) and for individual scores (our scores get reported to the NRA at the end of the season, and we'll get an Indoor Conventional Pistol classification––e.g. Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, High Master––out of it).  It's kinda like a bowling league...with .22s.

We just wrapped up our season for the Summer (capped off by my shooting the last relay, in which we shoot centerfire––.32 and up––for fun, with my S&W 686 loaded up with some nice flame-thrower .357 Magnum loads) and we'll resume in mid-September.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top