Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:17:42 AM EDT
Can someone explain to me where it's legal and where it's not? I thought I knew, but I've seen some comments that tend to confuse me (which isn't hard to do). I live in Loudoun County. What special permits must one have for this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
OC is legal everywhere in VA with the obvious exceptions of Federal Laws (such as a federal building)

I know this is true for VA residents, but I dont think non-residents can OC in VA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
OC is legal for all people in Va. Both residents and non residents. You can not carry into Federal Buildings, courthouses/jails, schools, airport terminals, or private property that is posted.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OC is legal everywhere in VA with the obvious exceptions of Federal Laws (such as a federal building)

I know this is true for VA residents, but I dont think non-residents can OC in VA.

OC is legal for anyone in Virginia that can posses a handgun.

Court houses, post offices, federal enclaves still have their own prohibitions.

The way the law works is that anything not prohibited is allowed, and OC is NOT prohibited.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]

The way the law works is that anything not prohibited is allowed, and OC is NOT prohibited.

ahh, so you're saying, because the law is silent on OC and it's not specifically prohibited, is therefore legal to do so?  With respect to being legally able to possess a handgun, there are no educational type requirements, like what are needed for CCW?  

I thought I saw a post where someone went to an OC dinner at Glory Days in Manassas. I thought you could not carry a firearm in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ahh, so you're saying, because the law is silent on OC and it's not specifically prohibited, is therefore legal to do so?  With respect to being legally able to possess a handgun, there are no educational type requirements, like what are needed for CCW?  

I thought I saw a post where someone went to an OC dinner at Glory Days in Manassas. I thought you could not carry a firearm in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises?

No educational requirements to own a handgun in VA

You cannot carry CONCEALED in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises. Open Carry is legal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OC is legal for all people in Va. Both residents and non residents. You can not carry into Federal Buildings, courthouses/jails, schools, airport terminals, or private property that is posted.

A small caveat for the posted property: A sign or post is not considered sufficient notification in Virgnia. So for example if you go into a store and its posted and you dont see it (they are often small or not posted at all entrances), you arent technically in violation. But if they ask you to leave then you must or you are in violation. Im at work so I dont have resources to reference, but the Virginia Forum at opencarry.org is quite excellent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can someone explain to me where it's legal and where it's not? I thought I knew, but I've seen some comments that tend to confuse me (which isn't hard to do). I live in Loudoun County. What special permits must one have for this?

There is a very active Virginia opencarry forum here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/

There is no permit required for open carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to clear up:

If you OC into a restauraunt, you can drink but not get drunk?  I dont drink when I carry EVER so I have never asked the question.  Good to know though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just to clear up:

If you OC into a restauraunt, you can drink but not get drunk?  I dont drink when I carry EVER so I have never asked the question.  Good to know though.

Reading the code, it only prohibits drinking while carrying said concealed weapon. Personally I dont do it at any time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#10]
This has all been very helpful, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You cannot carry CONCEALED in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises.

Unless, of course, you're a Commonwealth's Attorney or another member of the ruling class as authorized, who can carry concealed without a permit or training, and drink while doing so. Thanks a lot Governor Timmy you hypocritical asswipe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#12]
don't forget state parks and churches.

can't carry open in those.

but you can concealed in state parks.  firearms are prohibited from places of religion or where religious functions are taking place.

lets just be honest, why not carry concealed?

if your shirt ever gets over the gun, or your sitting in a chair with solid sides, or your sitting in a restraunt booth with the gun facing the wall, or any other time that something is covering your firearm then it is considered concealed even though it is in a holster on your hip.

plus the biggest reason for carrying concealed is, YOU MEET LESS COPS!!!

just take the class at gander mountain and go to the courthouse to get your concealed handgun permit.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
firearms are prohibited from places of religion or where religious functions are taking place.

Firearms are prohibited from places of worship during the time that a meeting for religious purposes is taking place, unless you have good and sufficuent reason.

If you are interested, we do a variety of classes including one that covers Va law.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

but you can concealed in state parks.  firearms are prohibited from places of religion or where religious functions are taking place.

if your shirt ever gets over the gun, or your sitting in a chair with solid sides, or your sitting in a restraunt booth with the gun facing the wall, or any other time that something is covering your firearm then it is considered concealed even though it is in a holster on your hip.

just take the class at gander mountain and go to the courthouse to get your concealed handgun permit.

+1
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I would not OC except somewhere where I can't carry concealed for another reason - it gives potential assailants an advantage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why not carry concealed?  Why not, indeed!  Concealed carry is great... for anyone old enough to get a CCW.  I carried OC for almost 3 years because you have to be 21 to get your CCW permit.  In all that time, I've only ever had issues with the police once.  I've been asked to leave a few stores and malls, but that's not unexpected.  And I've had more than one great conversation with a non-gun person where I helped educate someone who was curious enough to ask (and a couple conversations with some gun folks who were new to the area and wanted the scoop on the local laws and the best ranges).  My 21st birthday was earlier this month, so I'll be getting my CCW soon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
firearms are prohibited from places of religion or where religious functions are taking place.

Firearms are prohibited from places of worship during the time that a meeting for religious purposes is taking place, unless you have good and sufficuent reason.

If you are interested, we do a variety of classes including one that covers Va law.

if you teach classes you must be aware that there have only ever been 3 times in virginia that the people were not convicted of a firearms charge.  

#1  guy was getting robbed and beaten every sunday when he went to church.

#2 woman was being stalked and the stalker kept following her and even waited for her in the parking lot of the church one time.

#3 i can't remember what the last one was right now.

the state is who decides if you have a "good and sufficient reason".  they almost never think you have one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you teach classes you must be aware that there have only ever been 3 times in virginia that the people were not convicted of a firearms charge.  

#2 woman was being stalked and the stalker kept following her and even waited for her in the parking lot of the church one time.

the state is who decides if you have a "good and sufficient reason".  they almost never think you have one.

Ok, I'll bite.  How many times have people been convicted then?  If it is more than three, ok, if it is three- so what?  If it is less than three, again, so what.

I carry concealed religiously (HA!!) to the church/temple/mosque of my choice.  How many times a year do we see a church/temple/mosque shot up?  that is good enough reason for me.  Like I said.  I carry CONCEALED.  no one will know, unless I have to use it.  If I use it, I will either be dead or a hero.  Cant prosecute a dead guy, wont prosecute a hero.  :)

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[

Actually, no, I wasnt aware of any specific numbers or incidents that you mentioned. I just know what I do and I explain the law to my students and let them decide what they want to do. The law doesnt define "good and sufficient reason" so you would hope that a jury would agree with the reason that you feel to be good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

One reason to OC is that you can OC before you turn 21

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

slvr02: You might want to consider getting a copy of this book.

Join the VCDL as well or at least sign up for their email alert found here.  

Lots of good information.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would not OC except somewhere where I can't carry concealed for another reason - it gives potential assailants an advantage.

Yeah, thats why every time you turn around cops are getting mugged......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top