Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2009 2:19:40 PM EDT
Since the bill sb1528 has been put into law, my understanding is you can take a pistol class online to qualify for a VA carry permit.  My wife is very interested in this, and I was wondering if anyone had info.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend in VA actually just did this recently, he said it was simple and like $30.00 or so.  I just wish we could have it that easy here in WV the class I'm getting ready to take is 16hrs long! And it is $125.00...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry forgot to add this, I will talk to him as soon as I can to see if he has anymore info that may be able to help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I personally frown upon such things.

Ditto. We've discussed this topic numerous times on this and other forums. Taking a one hour online class is no way to receive proper training.

I give it a huge thumbs down.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like it either.

How do you prove that the persons name on the certificate is actually the person that took the online training and test?

If you are going to accept online training you might as well have no training requirement at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the information and opinions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
At the very least, hands on trianing provides the instructors to be able to sort through those who have firearm experience and those who do not. Isn't that the point?? True, my class time was very boring, but I don't know about the man/woman next to me that had to take in every bit of info to get up to being safe and secure with a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking at the big picture I'm a little worried about the WBT but in my particular case I'm happy about the decision since the court would not recognize my Primary Marksmanship Instructor and Range Coach MOS certs from the USMC and my active VA DCJS firearms endorsement certifications in pistol and shotgun as valid enough to sign off on my wife's training.  I understand none of these certs were issued from VA giving me any authority as a valid instructor, but I thought I could pass her since I've demonstrated firearms training competency to others in the past.  I guess the court figured some unfair predilection may exist since she was sleeping with the instructor.  

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At the very least, hands on trianing provides the instructors to be able to sort through those who have firearm experience and those who do not. Isn't that the point?? True, my class time was very boring, but I don't know about the man/woman next to me that had to take in every bit of info to get up to being safe and secure with a firearm.

Virginia has no requirement for "hands on training."

The hunter safety course is also considered adequate.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you frown upon the government easing restrictions on who can carry?

Or do you think that if someone takes the 4 hour NRA course, they are measurably more competent than someone who takes an online course?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't like it a lot - on the other hand, I will likely do it only because of convenience.  Now understand why:

1.  I have about 3 questions about the law in VA on firearms.  I suspect they will be answered, if not I will ask my attorney (wife) to find me answers.  It will take her 5 minutes.
2.  I have been shooting for 20 years.  I was a Police Explorer pistol team member, and have engaged in other competitive shooting sports.
3.  I practice regularly, to include shooting from cover, and drawing and (probably more importantly) reholstering.
4.  I will likely never ACTUALLY carry.  I eat in places that serve alcohol (nearly exclusively).  I work in a job that doesn't allow firearms in a secure facility.  I can't leave it in the car because I frequently drive places where that would get me arrested.

I ONLY want the permit so that I have more flexibility in where I keep the weapon in the car when it is in the car.

Besides, I don't think any of the concealed carry classes count as training.  Seriously, I have never seen one (and I have seen many courses in action) that seriously taught people weapon retention.  Or what to do when you stop the bad guy.  How do you hold a now-compliant person at gunpoint?  I see little difference between this and a lot of other training being offered...

shooter
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ditto no offense to anybody but there's some things that probably would be best taught in a real classroom as opposed through the internet...I sure wouldn't like it if some brain surgeon got his medical degree online...

on the flipside my buddy did that, but since I know the guy to be cautious and have shared my knowledge about firearms and firearm safety that I didn't have a problem with him taking the course online. My concern would be someone who has never held a gun before...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem with the online course is that it removes any ability for the instructor to witness the students ability to safely handle their pistol.

The hunter safety course does not require handling a pistol.

When 'shall issue' was passed in Virginia one of the things that drove it was the wildly varying requirement different judges had imposed.

Some judges would not approve ANY permits, while others would.

Arlington and Fairfax especially generally refused to issue permits.

Ollie North was denied a renewal for 'character.'

The requirements needed could easily become a de-facto ban again by manipulation, so they were placed in the statute.

Despite the stated fees in the statute, Arlington County tried collection extra fees for the County Police, County Sheriff, and Commonwealth's Attorney's office for the background check, running the cost over $100.
The State AG had to intercede to get this stopped.

The minimum requirements are just that, the legally required minimum.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Technically hunter education is hands on training
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it teaches you nothing about carrying a handgun everyday with a CHP

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I just took a life changing course threw PFP training, I think given the fact that you or your wife will be carrying a tool that carry's this much responsibility 16 hours and hands on training are the best way to go. Go see John at www.fpftraining.com he worth every penny and a few more. Just a thought. I thought I knew what I was doing until I took his class, life is to valuable to go quick and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a single firearm in the course I watched.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Whats there to learn aside from where you can and can't carry? Carrying is nothing more than common sense, knowing how to  use your weapon, and keeping a cool head in given situations. I'm not going to go into all the aspects of it but what I stated is all you need

Quoted:

They had about 10 rifles and shotguns they used for demonstration in mine
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats there to learn aside from where you can and can't carry? Carrying is nothing more than common sense, knowing how to  use your weapon, and keeping a cool head in given situations. I'm not going to go into all the aspects of it but what I stated is all you need

Quoted:

They had about 10 rifles and shotguns they used for demonstration in mine

But it is not required.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think you can be for something like unrestricted carry, or open carry, and be against the online training requirement. It's a contradiction. I'm not supporting a position here, just pointing out what I see. I can legally open carry in Virginia with no training whatsoever. Most of the people in the HTF support this right. The only difference between open carry and concealed carry is...a t-shirt. But one requires training and the other does not?

This is a separate and distinct discussion from one concerning the quality of instruction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've seen this phenomena with the carbine classes we've organized through the HTF here. I've talked with several members who would of never attended a carbine class on their own (because of fear/embarrassment) but ended up coming to one of the ARFCOM classes. In the end, all were glad they attended, but it took the right kind of nudge to get them there.

I always miss out on the good stuff    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top