Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 1:35:27 PM EDT
My sons dog met with an unfortunate accident.  Now my wife is trying to find our son a new buddy.  She been looking online at the local shelters and either they don't have small dogs or want an outrageous fees.   Now all of our critters get all their shots and stuff so paying a shelter $400 or more for a mutt just ain't going to happen.  

Any one got any suggestions on where I can look?   We live in Hampshire County.  I travel the whole length of the eastern panhandle often and know some of the Winchester VA area..

Edit to add..
Just got back from Breezewood PA .    He's now the proud owner of a fuzzy little female mutt.   They both seem happy with each other and thats what counts.    Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a quick search for animal rescues in WV and found this one in Hedgesville.  I don't know what kind of dog you are looking for but they did have some smaller dogs.

Pet Finder might help you out.  One of my woman's friends has found multiple pets on Craigs List.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
i rescued my bullmastiff from the Jefferson County, WV kill shelter in December 2007,,,,,it was $20.....

unless something has drastically changed I'd try there....they had a bunch of dogs and kill them very quickly
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I did a quick search for animal rescues in WV and found this one in Hedgesville.  

We looked at the place in Hedgesville.  There is NO WAY I'd even consider adopting a dog from a place like that.   Their application is just too personal and down right nosey.   Dang, I think dealing with the ATF and getting a NFA weapon would easier.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did a quick search for animal rescues in WV and found this one in Hedgesville.  

We looked at the place in Hedgesville.  There is NO WAY I'd even consider adopting a dog from a place like that.   Their application is just too personal and down right nosey.   Dang, I think dealing with the ATF and getting a NFA weapon would easier.  

Try some of the breed specific rescue groups around here.

We tried to adopt a couple of dogs from one after our Dalmatian died of cancer.  We have plenty of experience with large dogs.  Application  was ridiculous, then they came over for the home inspection,  almost 2 months after we filled out the paperwork.  We were trying to decorate the house for Christmas and the person they sent over thought our house was too cluttered to have a dog.  We finally found a dog of theirs we liked,  were told it was a $300 adoption fee, then suddenly the foster said we would have to pay $600 (check made out to the foster not the organization) to adopt it and we couldn't take the dog until they approved of us.

I told them to pound sand, went to the Faifax County pound, got a spayed female pup for $20, left with the dog the same day.  Fairfax still asks a bunch of questions, but if you own a home in the county it's pretty easy to adopt a dog from them.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for petfinder.

We got both of our fuzzy fartknockers there.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i rescued my bullmastiff from the Jefferson County, WV kill shelter in December 2007,,,,,it was $20.....

If that's a small dog, I'd hate to see what your big dog looks like.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Read your story on the original pup...such a bummer.  Glad you found a suitable replacement though.

To chime in on the local rescues, we too have looked for dogs from one of these organizations and decided to scrap it.  We automatically lose to any other applicant with a fenced yard, the adoption fees are ridiculous, the application is intrusive, and the home inspection...well, that just ain't happening.  It's a dog, not a child.  Our current dog, our cat, our two rats, our lizard and our fish are all the most spoiled critters on the planet.  A dog would be lucky to have us.  I'm not asking permission from some tree-hugging, hairy-armpit skank to give a pup a good home.

We'll find a dog at the county shelter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top