Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:53:33 AM EDT
Just wanted to double check and make sure I'm GTG. If not, oh well. Grandfather gave me his 1903 Colt and was wondering if it's possible for me to do this. While traveling, it must be in a locked container/unloaded/slide open correct? Or can I get into the car with it on my hip? Please don't flame. I will not carry if it's illegal or grey area to be determined "by the courts".

Thanks and ya'll have a great day. It's a perty one too. To me atleast
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are 18 or older and legally eligible to own a handgun, open carry is ok. The gun must not be concealed or "hidden from common observation".

If you are sitting in your car, open carry is still fine. The fact that you are seated in a car does not alter how you yourself are carrying the firearm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha. Would there be ANY problems with my grandfather giving me the pistol and LEO giving me a hard time if it isn't registered to me? I know transfers are GTG between family, just wondering if they can still give me flak for anything? Sounds good so far though. I'm just being extra cautious, if you can't tell.

I don't want to get the cuffs, haha. I'll post a pic of it too.

And I appreciate the reply
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no "registration" of guns in VA. Once Gramps give it to you, you're good to go. You could always have him include a card saying "happy birthday, enjoy your new pistol".
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Go visit

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/18452.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/17187.html

And there are other threads regarding the same topic on that board.  In Virginia you must be 18 or older to possess a handgun without adult supervision.  If you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, you can carry it at 18 y.o....openly.  Because you are younger than 21 y.o. you cannot get a CHP in Virginia.  So yes, you can openly carry the pistol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Is your Grandfather a VA resident?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, he is a VA resident. Here's the Colt also. Took off some surface rust with scotch

brite and was able to ultrasonic the slide and frame. Turned out well for using soap

and water. Very clean. Liberal lube, wipe excess lube and try the function. No more

gritty feel and seems to ride home much cleaner. Just need to function test. And find a

new mag {this one is cock-eyed}.

Before:

After:
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and I apologize for my noobness to this {zoom6}. Brother has a CHP and no gun.

I have no CHP and now, a gun. Lifes a B. But, I did order him a del-ton for christmas

so he wouldn't feel left out. Thanks for the help guys, will read up on the articles

posted and more. Anyone have mags for a 1903 Colt "M" frame in .32cal?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather left me his 1903 vest pocket in 25acp when he died.

edit to add it might be a 1908 i forget.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
They are definitely neat little pistols. That pic. makes it look GOOD, but it isn't.

Rubbed some of the blueing off with the scotch-brite and certain parts that are just

pitted. I heard the 1903's were for the Air-Corps pilots and some other group of

officers. Not sure about the 1908 although I'm sure it's a revised version issued to

another {or the same} branches. Checked on the serial number and it was built

between 1912 and 1913. Not bad for being almost 100 years old! I'm wondering wether

I should even use it as a carry piece? But, I have to say, it will be making a trip to the

range. Range report to come. Never thought pistols would be a thing for me. Now I

want a SA Mil-Spec. I've been looking at those for awhile.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Id put that one away If I were you. I shot my grand dad's 25 once cleaned it and put it away. Mine is smaller than your its the little vest pocket model. Mine has a little pitting on it but otherwise it would be like brand new. Grand dad left it in a leather holster for 50 years. No sense in putting any more wear on your grandfathers gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, he didn't take really good care of it. It was always dirty and I wonder if he ever

cleaned it good. This time I saw it was pretty well neglected for at least a bit of time.

Said if I wanted it I could have it. Took a good while to clean it and not try to take off

much blueing. I'd rather lose blue than have rust. We used to go out pretty seldom to

shoot on his property with it but enjoyed it. He's given me his Stevens 16ga and now

this. He's getting older, so he's passing the stuff off now that he doesn't have his

property. I will most likely keep it in my safe and maybe go and shoot another box

through it before lubing and storing. It balances great and is easy to strip and clean

{although finicky}. I may have to go get myself one!  

Here's what I found of your 1908 .25. Freshly a 100 year old design.
Colt .25 Vest pistol

My grandad bought this in the early '80s BTW. Bought it after a lady where he worked

was killed in D.C.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt suggest carrying that gun for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah mine is a 1908. Put that colt of yours away and get a good carry gun in a better caliber.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldnt suggest carrying that gun for defensive purposes.

Agree, but he does score some major cool points!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear ya. I'll wait on the 1911 and let this be.

Now I got an itch that can't be scratched with not being able to go out and shoot it.

Sigh... great guys, now I have nothing to shoot!  And I have no money to spend

on pistol stuff. Wait, can you build a 1911 fairly easily? I know this thread isn't exactly

on track, but I might as well ask. Les Bear, Wilson, SA right. I'll start with the "oh so

important" springs and pins. It's a good start. I only need the frame to be FFl unless I

can get one locally.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As long as you are 18 or older and legally eligible to own a handgun, open carry is ok. The gun must not be concealed or "hidden from common observation".

If you are sitting in your car, open carry is still fine. The fact that you are seated in a car does not alter how you yourself are carrying the firearm.

Well said!

(I think I've heard that somewhere before.)  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

Did you hear it in my class? I say it all the time. I call it a "temporary condition", like being seated in a restaurant booth.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

That was always a "gray area" for me without CCW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

That was always a "gray area" for me without CCW.

Shouldn't be, its pretty cut and dry.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

Did you hear it in my class? I say it all the time. I call it a "temporary condition", like being seated in a restaurant booth.

Nah, we were both saying essentially that on opencarry.org to someone who argued that if you sat in a car, your open carry became concealed... some VA gun owners' guide told him so.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

Nah, we were both saying essentially that on opencarry.org to someone who argued that if you sat in a car, your open carry became concealed... some VA gun owners' guide told him so.

See that's what I thought, I didn't read it in any book though. What you guys are saying makes sense to me and I've pondered that point, I just always wondered what would happen with an over-zealous cop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#23]
People have been charged seated in their car just be carefull. If stopped your best bet is to say something right away. The other option is to get the ccw when old enough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been OC since 18.

You will learn to loathe thigh rigs.  Only way to really OC during the depths of winter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Yall have any recommendations for building a 1911? Just looking to put together

something close to the SA mil-spec. Can I order factory SA parts for the mil-spec? Or

are they like Honda parts and it would cost twice as much to build than to buy? Any

other ideas are very welcome because I'm gonna ask for SOME parts, not many, for

christmas.   Just looking to get all of the parts besides the frame. Any vendors in

Virginia that may have some stuff in stock?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yall have any recommendations for building a 1911? Just looking to put together

something close to the SA mil-spec. Can I order factory SA parts for the mil-spec? Or

are they like Honda parts and it would cost twice as much to build than to buy? Any

other ideas are very welcome because I'm gonna ask for SOME parts, not many, for

christmas.   Just looking to get all of the parts besides the frame. Any vendors in

Virginia that may have some stuff in stock?

Check out the 1911 forum.  Unless you're already very familiar with the 1911 and have good mechanical inclination, I would not recommend building a 1911.  It is much different from building an AR15, and involves a lot of hand-fitting of parts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I kinda figured. I'm kinda SOL on buying one out right unless I come across a private

seller who's willing to sell. There aren't many of them that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I kinda figured. I'm kinda SOL on buying one out right unless I come across a private

It's not impossible, but it's not a project for the uninitiated.  You'll have to start with an 80% frame (since you can't purchase a 100% frame till 21 except from a private seller).  The ones I've seen available required you to drill a hole or two and cut the slide rails; the latter being considerably more difficult to accomplish without access to a milling machine.  No, you cannot have your friend mill it for you.  You have to do it yourself.

The rest of it is considerably easier; you can find pre-fitted barrels/slides, which is probably one of the more difficult fitting jobs.  With a lot of patience, elbow grease, and a good set of hand files, you can fit the small parts with no problem.  There's a couple books on how the 1911 works that you'll want to pick up before you start smithing; I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but a search of the 1911 forum might yield results.

I'd really recommend putting up a WTB ad in the EE, and also cruising for a VA seller in the WTS Handguns section.  It might take you a little while, but you'll probably find someone eventually who is cool with it.  My parents were kind enough to buy me my 1911 as a Christmas gift.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Go to the next gun show and look for the walking signs.......Last weekend I probably saw at least 5 pretty decent handguns being offered for sale.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#30]
jeepinva, your IM box is full.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Crap, when I get home I'll empty it. I'll get to the next gunshow and see if anyone is

walking around with a mil-spec. Would it be taboo for me to post on here asking if

anyone has one available? I just posted a WTB add also.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Crap, when I get home I'll empty it. I'll get to the next gunshow and see if anyone is

walking around with a mil-spec. Would it be taboo for me to post on here asking if

anyone has one available? I just posted a WTB add also.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed

Bad juju to do sales stuff outside of the EE.  Best to keep all your "WTB" and "WTS" stuff there, lest you incur the wrath of Site Staff/Mods.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Gotcha, put up my want add on the EE and now shall wait.

Going to greentop before I may have to be at work tomorrow if my boss calls in sick

again. More money for the 1911. Thanks, cleared my IM box also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top