Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 4:19:30 PM EDT
I inadvertently allowed my CCW (Clarke Co., VA) to expire and am unsure  of what the proper steps are in making it current again.  It seems that the person in the Clerks office who would handle this is out of the  office for a few days,so here I am.  What is the proper steps to recovery?  Do I need to start again with fingerprints and proof of training or is it as simple asa new application without the prints etc...?

Thanks for any help!

ZH
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Same process as applying although you can use your expired permit as your proof of training.  

VA State Police resident CHP page

ETA: Finger prints not required on renewal.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
First I would consider open carry for the time being.  if I recall, fingerprinting wasn't required for a renewal, but our county doesn't require fingerprinting.

Suggest that you put a package together with the application (filled out in triplicate), copies of the hunters/proof of firearms training or chp copy. and determine how easy it is to get fingerprinted.  If the local LEO does it and its a 20 minute process, then get it done just in case.
Even if the person that can help is out, there should be someone who can accept the package.  Get a receipt that said that you've filled the forms out and in process.  If when they get back and its going to be a long process, consider getting an out of state (FL or UT) that has reciprocity with VA as a backup.

Is it a couple of days overdue or a couple of months?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]

the application (filled out in triplicate)

Th courts usually prefer a single copy filled out, signed, notarized, and then copied.
That way there is NO chance of the forms not being identical, and the clerk will be able to attest that they are all copies of the same notarized original document by inspection.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely embarrassed to admit that it is a couple months.  I am not sure how I  missed it,I guess I just got caught up in life a bit.....

I will check on the ease of fingerprinting in the morning.   It seems from the link  above that it will  be required again,

ZH
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
As the famous Foghorn leghorn use to say "That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son."  Last time the clerk was the notary and she was able to notarize all the originals/copies needed.

Quoted:

the application (filled out in triplicate)

Th courts usually prefer a single copy filled out, signed, notarized, and then copied.
That way there is NO chance of the forms not being identical, and the clerk will be able to attest that they are all copies of the same notarized original document by inspection.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top