Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 7:54:16 PM EDT
Finished up my BA 2 months ago. Going to try the academy in Jersey in Sept., if it doesn't pan out (ie, I don't get in this go around), I'll be wanting to try out of state work.

Any ideas as to who or what is hiring? Can be either police or criminal justice related work.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you going "Alternate route" in NJ?  They still do that?

Just about every Sheriff's Office in the Richmond area is hiring. Just be aware that the good ol boy system in alive and well, and they dont take kindly to Yankees.

and yes, they still call us that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like working in the bad part of town for low wages there's always portsmouth. A good friend of mine works there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like working in the bad part of town for low wages there's always portsmouth. A good friend of mine works there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Figure out which part of the state you want to work in, then start sending in applications.  Any departments you're looking at in particular?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
FBI Police are hiring, you would either work downtown at HQ or at the academy at Quantico.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Loudoun County is hiring, they don't mind Yankees as much.

Plus we could always use some more ARFCOMers in NOVA
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]
State is hiring along with several other agencies such as:
Norfolk Sheriff's Office
James City County Sheriff's Office
Portsmouth
Newport News
Hampton
As far as being Yankee goes, it doesn't matter much around here.  There is so much military that it becomes mixed up and not to many people even care.  Good luck...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just about every Sheriff's Office in the Richmond area is hiring. Just be aware that the good ol boy system in alive and well, and they dont take kindly to Yankees.

Alternate route, yes.

I think its going to be the "way to do things" in most towns, as they can't afford to put anyone through the academy anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Figure out which part of the state you want to work in, then start sending in applications.  Any departments you're looking at in particular?

Don't know too much about VA. Been through and stopped a few places before. (over by VMI is really nice though)

I'll have to see what town a family friend lives in, maybe I can bunk with them if I decide to search down there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You can do a lot of searching online.  A lot of departments will also let you apply online as well.  Don't forget Virginia Jobs
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#11]
The Lexington area is nice around VMI, it's where I grew up, but it's hard to get a job around there and they are hardcore good ole boy system.  I work for albemarle county police east of there.  It's a good place and is getting better as time goes by. If you are interested I could refer you to someone in the recruiting division.  We have decent pay and can take our cars home up to 15 miles outside the county.  let me know.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alternate route, yes.

I think its going to be the "way to do things" in most towns, as they can't afford to put anyone through the academy anymore.

I was going to do that when I was up there. I think it was 3K plus gun, ammo and uni's. Then I took the civil service test and got on and did it that way.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Lexington area is nice around VMI, it's where I grew up, but it's hard to get a job around there and they are hardcore good ole boy system.  I work for albemarle county police east of there.  It's a good place and is getting better as time goes by. If you are interested I could refer you to someone in the recruiting division.  We have decent pay and can take our cars home up to 15 miles outside the county.  let me know.

I will, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alternate route, yes.

I was going to do that when I was up there. I think it was 3K plus gun, ammo and uni's. Then I took the civil service test and got on and did it that way.

Its about 4K-5K now. Factor in that you won't be paid during your time there, so you have gas, credit card bills, student loans, car payments, health insurance (a must have now), and having to eat... its approximately 8-10K.

I plan on having 10K by the time the academy starts (if I get in). More than 80% there so I am kinda set in that angle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Its about 4K-5K now. Factor in that you won't be paid during your time there, so you have gas, credit card bills, student loans, car payments, health insurance (a must have now), and having to eat... its approximately 8-10K.

I plan on having 10K by the time the academy starts (if I get in). More than 80% there so I am kinda set in that angle.

Good lord. I got hired by my department, then they paid me a salary while I went through the academy on their dime. That's how we do it in Virginia.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I found it was easier to join an auxillary force, let them send me to the academy while I still had a fulltime job.  I got released and then applied for a full time position.  It was kind of nice since it gave me the chance to try it before I jumped in.  If I did not like it I did not have my hands tied.  Just another option...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Pick a department in VA, they are all hiring.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pick a department in VA, they are all hiring.  Seriously.

And they'll pay YOU to go to the academy.

BTW, Albemarle county is next to Charlottesville, home of UVA. Plenty of police depts in that area, and there are definitely plenty of carpetbaggers there, so you could fit right in! (I'm about an hour south of there )
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget Federal law enforcement, either.  There are many Federal agencies with independent patrol and investigative positions.  

Take a look at this link: USAJOBS for what's currently available in Virginia.  Don't be put off by some of the seemingly low entrance salaries.  I know Federal law enforcement officers who hit six figures within the their first two-three years, with only an average amount of overtime.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good lord. I got hired by my department, then they paid me a salary while I went through the academy on their dime. That's how we do it in Virginia.

It happens up here too, but not as often anymore.

Especially in my county, they only take transfers or alternate routes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Prince William County is hiring 45K starting off and they pay while in the academy. You mean  some cops don't get paid while in the academy?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Pistol City has its perks though.

Pros:

Uniform Patrol does more investigation/gets more experience than any depts in the state (and anyone who has issue with that hasn't worked in P-town)
It truely is a family of Blue, I have met almost everyone in the dept, and know at least 50% well
No micro-management
uniform/equipment freedom better than any dept in the area

Cons:

Low pay
a comment about our whiteshirts that could be detrimental to my employment (lotta other places also)

Honestly, most depts in VA are hiring, and they'll pay you to go to the academy.  Some even do student loan repayments.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I tried for 2 years to get into LE.  I didn't have the 4 year degree, just a 2 year, so that didn't help much.  I tried for probably 12 departments across the state. I have no criminal record, only 1 ticket for driving on expired inspection, excellent grades, 90% or higher on all written exams, passed the poly's and psych tests, and most of the review boards.  I got through the whole process with many of the departments and then they disappeared.  I never heard anything from some, and got a postcard or letter saying, "we have better qualified applicants..." from others.  When I asked for feedback, they wouldn't tell me anything!  It was frustrating to say the least.  I changed direction after I felt like I was beating my head against the wall for nothing.  That's alright, I'm on my way to making more money sleeping than their chiefs are working.  It's just going to take some time.  I hope you have better luck in your search than I did and I applaud you for trying.  We need more good cops out there that actually know the law.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pros:

Uniform Patrol does more investigation/gets more experience than any depts in the state (and anyone who has issue with that hasn't worked in P-town)
It truely is a family of Blue, I have met almost everyone in the dept, and know at least 50% well
No micro-management

Cons:

Low pay
a comment about our whiteshirts that could be detrimental to my employment (lotta other places also)

Honestly, most depts in VA are hiring, and they'll pay you to go to the academy.  Some even do student loan repayments.  

Yep. True. And from what she says you can get more experience in P-Town in a short time as opposed to some cities.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pros:

No micro-management

Cons:

Low pay

Yep. True. And from what she says you can get more experience in P-Town in a short time as opposed to some cities.

That is why P-town is always hiring, because officers get two years here, bounce to another city where they make 10K more and they teach their FTO a thing or two.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#26]
F*ck the Republican Party.
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر
Hey VooDoo3dfx, here's a new signature line for you... Just looking at your avatar and signature line, I think the psychological evaluation would be a real obstacle. Do the rest of us a favor, stay in the "Garden State".  Not a sermon, just a thought. Thanks, YCB

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر
Hey VooDoo3dfx, here's a new signature line for you... Just looking at your avatar and signature line, I think the psychological evaluation would be a real obstacle. Do the rest of us a favor, stay in the "Garden State".  Not a sermon, just a thought. Thanks, YCB

My avatar?

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Try the Mecklenberg County Sheriff's Department. The high sheriff fired 10 of the best deputies they had. Don't know if they filled those positions. Oh, well don't really care for NJ yankees.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Whats the old saying? Oh right, Virginia is for Losers. [Well, some of them anyways]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر

JUST WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر

Get out of the still barn for a bit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر

Como de fuck?

Dude, stop huffing paint.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
ككافر

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
...I think the psychological evaluation would be a real obstacle. Do the rest of us a favor, stay in the "Garden State".

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:19:46 AM EDT
[#35]
The guy asks a question and some of you tell him to stay in NJ or comments about the physcological exams?  What the hell is wrong with you.  Then you get one who comes into the hometown forum just to bash the state.  If you don't like VA then great, but you don't need to bash it because your from MI(and I am sure there are many things wrong with that state as well) .  leave the OP alone and quit hijacking his thread.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The guy asks a question and some of you tell him to stay in NJ or comments about the physcological exams?  What the hell is wrong with you.  Then you get one who comes into the hometown forum just to bash the state.  If you don't like VA then great, but you don't need to bash it because your from MI(and I am sure there are many things wrong with that state as well) .  leave the OP alone and quit hijacking his thread.

I'm going with on this one.
VooDoo, I wish you good luck with the job search, especially going for one in the Shenandoah Valley...  Love that area (my brother is a VMI grad).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Virginia Beach is also always hiring.

VBPD
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
F*ck McCain.
F*ck Huckabee.
F*ck Hillary. (ew?)
F*ck Obama.
F*ck Bruce Springsteen
F*ck Yankee-Carpet-Bagger
ككافر

Fixed
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Virginia Beach is also always hiring.

VBPD

So is Norfolk, they are always running TV commercials.  Another thought if this does not pan out, there are a couple of "instant teacher" programs....   I just seem to seem to catch these commercials back to back....Norfolk PD and Norfolk Public Schools.

Tidewater is not a bad area to live, I settled here after retiring from the Navy.  I live in VB and work in Norfolk (Navy Contractor).  If you really want to know about Police in the Tidewater Area (Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk) look for BiggieBen in this HTF.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Northern VA will pay the most. Pay takes a dip south of Prince William County. Winchester City is the highest paid in the Shenandoah Valley, and that is a nice PD that is growing, but small enough that there is not alot of room to move around into specialized units or divisions, as with alot of smaller jurisdictions.
Prince William is still growinf fast as a PD, and plenty of room to move around within it.

Both are always picking guys up. Asy questions about either, just ask....a little pull in both
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I may be wrong, but wasn't Springsteen a draft dodger & went to Canada during the Viet Nam war? That's what I heard. Just wondering if it were true?  

And this part of Virginia has enough NJ yankee carpetbaggers!
Ask anyone that has lives here.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Northern VA will pay the most. Pay takes a dip south of Prince William County. Winchester City is the highest paid in the Shenandoah Valley, and that is a nice PD that is growing, but small enough that there is not alot of room to move around into specialized units or divisions, as with alot of smaller jurisdictions.
Prince William is still growinf fast as a PD, and plenty of room to move around within it.

Both are always picking guys up. Asy questions about either, just ask....a little pull in both

NOVA pd's do pay more.  However, you spend a lot of money in trying to live close or a lot of money in commuting to work from Fauquier, Stafford, Culpeper, etc.  Personally, I would skip NOVA all together.  Look from Fredericksburg south or southwest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Both are always picking guys up. Asy questions about either, just ask....a little pull in bothHowever,

Commute does suck, but the potential to move around or become part of a specialized unit: SWAT, K-9, CID is much harder in smaller departments.
You got to give to get, I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top