Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:20:12 PM EDT
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I have been asked/given permission to create shirts for all the other Hometown forums. I have included a link to a response topic about the shirts I did for Team Florida for the last 3 years. I just need an idea of what you all think of having your own shirts.

In general I will most likely be using the state's official mammal as the mascot. I know there are a few states/HTF that have multiple states and official mammal. For you, I will try to include something that represents all of the states in the Hometown on one design.

I'm not taking orders yet... but I'm trying to get an idea of interest. The shirts will be offered in Black, Olive Drab and Sand, in sizes from Med.-5XL. I will be posting up the design as soon as they are ready.

All shirts will be pre-ordered and pre-paid as all others were done in Florida. The cost will be $20 per shirt + actual shipping via UPS.

Here's a link to the responses for the last 3 Team Florida shirts. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=309126

Here are the designs I've done for Team Florida:

Thanks for looking,
David

Mods, if you have any questions, IM me or the Big Guy for clearity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds kinda cool. All I ask is that you please don't use ANYTHING that resembles this creature...
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Great designs!

For the Virginia Mascot... can we have a picture of Dick Saslaw, our Hometown Hero?

Link Posted: 6/9/2008 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
What, pray tell, is Virginia's official mammal?

I know its official crustacean is the bearded clam.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Can we have a Ham on the shirt?  Seriously tho, sounds like a good idea, i'd be in for one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

I know its official crustacean is the bearded clam. have
Apparently we have MORE than one state animals
www.stateanimals.com/states/virginia/index.html

State Dog: American Foxhound
State Insect: Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
State Bird: Cardinal State Fish: Brook Trout
State Bat: Big-eared Bat
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know its official crustacean is the bearded clam.

I'm not a team member but I'm gonna have to find out how to become one. I do vote for bearded clam I'm down with that. And yes for the love of god not the hokies..

Apparently we have MORE than one state animals
www.stateanimals.com/states/virginia/index.html

State Dog: American Foxhound
State Insect: Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
State Bird: Cardinal State Fish: Brook Trout
State Bat: Big-eared Bat

I think that any of those animals holding an AR would make for an excellent design. I just can't decide if I like the idea of the butterfly or the brook trout better.

If we're going to do a State something, I think our best best is an AR hanging by its strap in a dogwood tree.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A 4 man stick raiding a sand castle and kicking the crap out of some tourists.  
"Ya seen the Beach, now go home."

Gotta work in our no swearing logo.

For the Beach crew anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A 4 man stick raiding a sand castle and kicking the crap out of some tourists.  
"Ya seen the Beach, now go home."

Gotta work in our no swearing logo.

For the Beach crew anyway.

Link Posted: 6/9/2008 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Please, Oh please, Oh PLEASE don't put a Hokie on a VA/WV HTF T-shirt!!!

Of course a Mountaineer holding an AR would be really cool, considering he is generally holding a musket/rifle in character anyway...

Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
We should use a shark! That would be awesome!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We should use a shark! That would be awesome!!!!!

I dunno, I think I'd be all over a shirt with the Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on it. Carrying an M4.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, how bout the Big Eared Bat......
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
you could do a modification of the Seal of the Commonwealth...

I think working "Sic Semper Tyrannus" into the shirt would be really cool...

Modify the Seal of the Commonwealth so she is holding an AR instead of a spear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Seal_of_Virginia.svg
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for trio's idea.

Either that, or make a rendition of a Colonial Patriot carrying an AR15 and have the state moto.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Who was it who did the HTF t-shirts a few years back?  I still have one.

While we're talking about subhuman animals, how about a uva fan?
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
If you must use the state mammal, please make Dick Saslaw and Tim Kaine proud and use a weasel.

I can't think of a better animal that exemplifies those two bastions of pro-gun rights.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
+1 for trio's idea.

www.wrl.org/depts/ref/images/vc4-1.gif
Either that, or make a rendition of a Colonial Patriot carrying an AR15 and have the state moto.

I and my mad photochoppin' skillz be all over dis

_MaH

ETA:  Anybody have a high resolution picture of the state seal?
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm  in, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#19]
+2 for trio's idea.  I'll take 3:  One XXL in red, two Larges in tan.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 for trio's idea.

_MaH

Proof of concept.  I'm not entirely pleased with the way it came out, but I attribute this to two things:

1) Didn't find the high-resolution image of the seal I'd like to work with, and
2) I'm going to try to find another AR15 image.  This one came from a picture and I'm thinking a very, very good drawing of one would fit better with the rest of the picture as it's a drawing itself.

Anyway, without further adieu, here's trio's concept in action:

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 for trio's idea.

_MaH

Proof of concept.  I'm not entirely pleased with the way it came out, but I attribute this to two things:

1) Didn't find the high-resolution image of the seal I'd like to work with, and
2) I'm going to try to find another AR15 image.  This one came from a picture and I'm thinking a very, very good drawing of one would fit better with the rest of the picture as it's a drawing itself.

Anyway, without further adieu, here's trio's concept in action:

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/MattHoffman/sicsempertyrannis.jpg

_MaH
Instead of having an  AR taking the place of the spear, keep the seal as is, but frame the left and right sides with AR-15's.  The leftside pointed up and the right side pointed down, or perhaps in a crossing pattern with the muzzles crossed just above the seal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#22]

_MaH

That is friggin awesome. I'd buy at least 2
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

_MaH

That is friggin awesome. I'd buy at least 2
I like the concept but really, it is hard to notice the rifle.  Kinda of like where's Waldo.  I would rather have something more bold like the FL shirts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quick question...

Are these going to be separate shirts for WV and VA, or are they going to be one shirt which incorporates all of them?

If the latter, then the VA Seal doesn't work very well for our WV counter-parts.

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think the State Seal is a good idea.  I like the FL shirts, I suggest something along those lines.  So cartoonish that it is non-threatening.  

How about a mermain wearing only a tactical vest holding an AR (Mermaid is an icon in Norfolk)
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Something cartoonish along this line
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't think the State Seal is a good idea.  I like the FL shirts, I suggest something along those lines.  So cartoonish that it is non-threatening.  

How about a mermain wearing only a tactical vest holding an AR (Mermaid is an icon in Norfolk)

The mermaid wouldn't really represent the state as a whole, just the Norfolk/VA Beach area
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#28]
If keeping the cartoon animals of the hometown state(s)... might as well stick with the American Foxhound and Black Bear, along the lines of the FL shirts.

No sense making the character something localized to one particular section of a state... you want something that will appeal to the broad group.

And I too, would prefer something closer to the cartoonish nature of the FL shirts, vs a modified State Seal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont want to be a wet mop, but there may be some legal implications regarding the use of the Great Seal. I poked around the COV for a minute and couldnt find anything specific, but I seem to recall there being something about using the Great Seal without authorization.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#30]
What about the cardinal?  It is the state bird...

_MaH

ETA:  And as long as I'm going to be using post 3200 on this, I might as well throw in a completely asinine suggestion.

Canine with an erection in honor of our state tree.

Never mind -- that's rife with furry undertones....

YOU READ IT!  YOU CAN'T UN-READ IT!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I bet the noles and canes are loving those shirts

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#32]
the Great Seal is defined by the Code of Virginia.....I am unsure if its use is in the code as well, but the VAC (Virginia Administrative Code) is a good place to look for it....

if you are concerned about the ramifications of the use of the code how about this.....

The state bird of BOTH Virginia AND West Virginia is the Cardinal....

So how about do a VA/WV HTF shirt with a stylized cardinal on the front for both states

and on the back

Virginians can get:  Sic Semper Tyrannus

and

West Virginians get:  Montani Semper Liberi

or even their respective state flags imprinted...
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
The bat is kinda cool, but who the heck would ever asociate it with Virginia?

The Cardinal is pretty well known, as would be a Patriot, although it could really be from anywhere on the east coast.

I had no idea about any of the other 'official animals.'

And the 'happy dog' idea is, well, happy.

I don't think we could use the seal, I found this:

Section 1-505 of the Code of Virginia provides that the seals of the Commonwealth are deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized.

Damn.  A bird seems so 'ghey.'  Maybe you could make it look like a mean bird?
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Who was it who did the HTF t-shirts a few years back?  I still have one.

While we're talking about subhuman animals, how about a uva fan?

That comment is beneath my immense, snooty dignity, and I shan't take notice of it.

mhoffman, that seal looks excellent. I would buy a shirt with that.

Something Civil War themed would also sell well. A silhouette of Stonewall Jackson on his horse holding an AR would be great...it somebody else hadn't already thought of it.

stonewall arms
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Section 1-505 of the Code of Virginia provides that the seals of the Commonwealth are deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized.

ahh see, I knew that there was something in there about it, just couldnt find it at the momemt.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

ahh see, I knew that there was something in there about it, just couldnt find it at the momemt.

Jim

Kinda amazing you can legally burn the US flag but cant use the seal of your state
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#37]
some great ideas guys... I used to engrave the Seal of Florida for the gooberment & it IS protected from reproductions or likeness. So I'm trying to stay away from those and sports mascots.

Now the long eared bat.... I can work with that!! Keep in mind guys... I only have 1 artist to do 33 HTF designs, so this is going to take a little time. But it will get done.

Thanks for your support & interest!

David
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Now the long eared bat.... I can work with that!!

I once said the same thing.

Two years later I was divorced.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#39]
My office window looks directly out at the flagpole, and I can't tell you how much time I have wasted over the years looking at that one bare boobie on the VA state flag.  Oh, the simple joys of life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My office window looks directly out at the flagpole, and I can't tell you how much time I have wasted over the years looking at that one bare boobie on the VA state flag.  Oh, the simple joys of life.

I did the same thing in court the other day... <snicker>

I'm really surprised nobody has sued over female frontal nudity on the state seal haha
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Something cartoonish along this line
www.geocities.com/gmierka/graphics/private.jpg

That is more like it, I also like the Black Bear idea.  

The mermaid is actually kind of a joke.  My daughter is working on a couple of designes, though they are not AR15.com, more geared to VA Beach.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#42]
OK Guys

This state is rich in history going back to the earliest permanent settlement in North America, Jamestown, the final battle of the American Revolution, Yorktown, the home to a great number of the original patriots, and founding fathers, Patrick Henry, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Mason to name a few, as well as being the capitol of the Confederacy with numerous great Virginians, such as Robert E.Lee, Stonewall Jackson, JEB Stuart, John Singleton Mosby, to name a few.

Surely we can do better than a Cardinal as the icon for the home state of George Mason co-author of the Bill of Rights (including our sacred 2nd Amendment) with James Madison. Let's get creative here.

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mermaid wouldn't really represent the state as a whole, just the Norfolk/VA Beach area

Whats wrong with representing the best part of the state? LMAO
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Why not use  Blackbeard. He was known to frequent waters in VA
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
OK Guys

This state is rich in history going back to the earliest permanent settlement in North America, Jamestown, the final battle of the American Revolution, Yorktown, the home to a great number of the original patriots, and founding fathers, Patrick Henry, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Mason to name a few, as well as being the capitol of the Confederacy with numerous great Virginians, such as Robert E.Lee, Stonewall Jackson, JEB Stuart, John Singleton Mosby, to name a few.

Surely we can do better than a Cardinal as the icon for the home state of George Mason co-author of the Bill of Rights (including our sacred 2nd Amendment) with James Madison. Let's get creative here.

Like Cornwallis (actually General O'Hara) handing over his sword to an AR armed General Lincoln. Just a thought.

A Pirate's not a bad idea either.

David
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#46]
A pirate?  In case you all didn't know, pirates weren't exactly good people.  They had no respect for life, liberty or property.  Just because they dress up cool and say arrrr a lot doesn't mean we should have them on our t-shirt.

I have a picture in my mind of what it should look like but I have no way of either drawing it or even describing it.  All it is is a more cartoonish rendition of the Colonial soldier that I posted above with an AR15 and bayonet charging.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Concur on both points, Blackbeard was not CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, actually he really was'nt that smart.  BUT, he did fund William and Mary....... The things you learn in Colonial Williamsburg.

I like the Patriot icons.  Maybe three guys armed with ARs in a defensive stance:
1) a colonial soldier like VTHokie has posted, representing service
2) this one dressed like a farmer or merchent, representing armed citizens defending their homes.
3) this guy in buckskins representing the settler's spirit

My 2 cents.

R/
Mike
VA Beach

Quoted:
A pirate?  In case you all didn't know, pirates weren't exactly good people.  They had no respect for life, liberty or property.  Just because they dress up cool and say arrrr a lot doesn't mean we should have them on our t-shirt.

I have a picture in my mind of what it should look like but I have no way of either drawing it or even describing it.  All it is is a more cartoonish rendition of the Colonial soldier that I posted above with an AR15 and bayonet charging.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
OK Guys

A lot of wisdom here...

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
2) this one dressed like a farmer or merchent, representing armed citizens defending their homes.
You mean like this?
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
OK Guys

Yeah, we could do like, Pocahontas and Sally Hemmings holding ARs...in bikinis!

I think a design incorporating some quotes would be good. Maybe we could do a colonial rifleman and then a Virginia ARNG soldier with an M4, with some TJ quote in between, "no free man debarred the use of arms," something along those lines?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top