Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 9:08:40 AM EDT
Hell all,

I bought a used Harley Super Glide last year for my first bike, and I am looking for a good shop in Northern Virginia (I am in Fairfax) to occasionally take my bike to for service, etc. I am trying to learn to do most of the basic stuff myself, but still in the learning process and want to get professionals to take care of it for now so I don't hose my bike. I have the Fix My Hog DVDs and a nice lift, but not confident in my abilities to keep everything up for now.

I considered Patriot Harley, but the warranty is expired and I hear they overcharge for pretty much everything, including service. I figured there have to be some shops around that know Harleys and might be a bit cheaper.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hell all,

I bought a used Harley Super Glide last year for my first bike, and I am looking for a good shop in Northern Virginia (I am in Fairfax) to occasionally take my bike to for service, etc. I am trying to learn to do most of the basic stuff myself, but still in the learning process and want to get professionals to take care of it for now so I don't hose my bike. I have the Fix My Hog DVDs and a nice lift, but not confident in my abilities to keep everything up for now.

I considered Patriot Harley, but the warranty is expired and I hear they overcharge for pretty much everything, including service. I figured there have to be some shops around that know Harleys and might be a bit cheaper.

Thanks!

The most honest and most talented mechanic around owns CrossRoads Cycle in Falls Church (Bailey's Crossroads in fact).  I have known the owner, Dennis, since I met him in 1990 in Summit Point, W.Va.  Dennis was last riding a Harley on the street, and he used to work on Vintage bikes as well as modern bikes (the modern bikes pay the rent).

Most of the dealerships here are crooked - I know because I worked at one - Cycles USA up in MD.  If I had to pick a dealership, Devin Battley's Rockville Harley would be my pick - Devin is a decent guy, if a little eccentric. But fair.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I have seen that place recently because I noticed it on my way to work. I will have to stop in and check it out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard good things about Fairfax Cycle(s?) (near Fairfax Circle) in the past.  I've not been there for a few years so really can't give you a reference but you could stop in and check them out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a place in Fredericksburg called Bobby Mock Custom.  They're more into the performance tuning and customization, but they might be able to help you out.  Kinda far for you to go.  They are the only shop I know of that does on-site dyno tuning of motorcycles.  Their prices are quite fair at least from what I've seen.  Let me know if you want their number.  I don't know if they're in the yellow pages.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Theres a Harley shop on RT.1 in the Dumfries area.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk to Earl at Whitt's Harley in Manassas.  He is one of the best around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top