Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2008 1:48:57 PM EDT
I feel like a real dumbass.  i took it apart and cant get the recoil spring assembly to stay in, and me wanty shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean you cant get it to stay in
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i put it in and it flies back out.  im thinking about shooting it with my glock, a REAL mans gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
the instructions say assembly is opposite of disassembly, but i doubt i can make it hit me in the face again and fly back together.  I feel like a real dumbass.  youd think a mechanic would be able to field strip a 1911.

the recoil srping guide wont stay in, thats the problem.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Reassembly should be:

Put barrel in slide.

Fit guide rod under barrel.

Put slide on gun from front, remember to thumb down the doohickeys that stick up at the rear of the frame.

Jiggle it around until things are properly aligned for the slide stop to go in (paperclip helps).

Put in spring, do not compress it.

Put on bushing, Put on spring end-cap thing (hope you didn't lose this part, is this what is tripping you up?)

NOW compress the spring and rotate the bushing so it captures the end-cap-thing.

Should be good to go.

I don't know the technical terms, I'm just a dumb cop who shoots things
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Reassembly should be:

Put barrel in slide.

Fit guide rod under barrel.

Put slide on gun from front, remember to thumb down the doohickeys that stick up at the rear of the frame.

Jiggle it around until things are properly aligned for the slide stop to go in (paperclip helps).

Put in spring, do not compress it.

Put on bushing, Put on spring end-cap thing (hope you didn't lose this part, is this what is tripping you up?)

NOW compress the spring and rotate the bushing so it captures the end-cap-thing.

Should be good to go.

I don't know the technical terms, I'm just a dumb cop who shoots things dogs
 fixed
but seriously.

the guide rod wont stay on the end.  the barrell is like ramped so it just goes flying off.  yes i have all the parts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you located exactly, I can put it back together if you have all the parts. I work in Sterling and spend most of my time there (40 hrs a week ).
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
im in herndon
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea, I showed it to my wife, she thought it was strange, my 5 year old said it looked like somones toe.

OP, if your serious, I can meet you some where in Herndon to put it back together.... just dont shoot me
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I only see a rex, but I could help you in the morning if you want.  Just IM or email me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I just saw your picture.  Don't put the spring on until after you have the whole slide assembly on the frame.  Then do the spring and bushing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
By your pic, it looks like the barrel link needs to be forward parallel with the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in Herndon and can give it a try (I have been shooting 1911s for "awhile").  Whereabouts are you, and what is a good place to meet up?

shooter
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just saw your picture.  Don't put the spring on until after you have the whole slide assembly on the frame.  Then do the spring and bushing.

What he said!

I tried re-assembling mine the same way when I got it (must be an RIA thing ) and took me much longer than it should have to figure out, it can't be done until it's already mounted on the frame!

A bit of a tangent, but... What kinda RIA did you get?  GI?  'Tactical'?
Did you see any Compacts at the show?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a guy doing a reassembly of a RIA 1911  

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0UjOlHjWg

ETA - the link which I forgot last time - sorry

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said!

I tried re-assembling mine the same way when I got it (must be an RIA thing ) and took me much longer than it should have to figure out, it can't be done until it's already mounted on the frame!

A bit of a tangent, but... What kinda RIA did you get?  GI?  'Tactical'?
Did you see any Compacts at the show?  
I got this one from stockman.  Its a regular old gi model.  crappy sights, and i mean CRAPPY, flat black and all.  Picked it up for 375 OTD.

BTW I FIGURED IT OUT.  You cant put it back together like a glock, its gota go in the frame first.  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i dropped it in the frame first, then slid the slide over it.  Like i said, i was trying to put it back together like a glock.  thanks for the offer.  Still havent shot up those gold dots i picked up from you!

'
ETA: one more question, what the fuck is the point of half cock?  Seems 100% useless to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i dropped it in the frame first, then slid the slide over it.  Like i said, i was trying to put it back together like a glock.  thanks for the offer.  Still havent shot up those gold dots i picked up from you!

'
ETA: one more question, what the fuck is the point of half cock?  Seems 100% useless to me.

Glad you got it figured out!  Yep, I don't understand the half cock on a pistol designed to be carried cocked and locked either.  Good shooting!
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'

I thought it was if for some reason the "full cock" broke or slipped it would catch on the half cock notch.

BTW in herndon here too if you need any more 1911 help.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Tysons Corner here.  RIA Tactical, w/ the solid guide rod.  Happy to help next time...
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
And some people can't understand why I spend so much time here.  If i had gone to a car forum and asked how to change my oil, I would have gotten laughed out in about 3 seconds.  Here?  I ask something retarded and 10+ people offer to help.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/EFB16ACRX/untitled-3.jpg

That was F'ing hysterical!

This little sequence of posts, I think, made me laugh harder than I ever have before in my life.

Glad you got it back together

_MaH
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
well, glad it provided some sort of value!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#25]
i'm glad to find out i'm not the only one who takes things apart and then can't put them back together.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top