Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 11:25:41 AM EDT
    Got my CHL today! It was a nice surprise in the mail, as I had forgotten all about it (just like rebates). I know the laws associated with having a CHL (no carrying in restaurants that serve liquor, etc), but am looking for some real-world advice.

For example, is it okay to carry in the Tyson's Corner Mall and the AMC Theatres there? And if I wanted to go to a restaurant there (saw the brewery), would anybody freak out if I just lifted my shirt and tucked it behind my pistol?

Practical advice like that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It came in the mail?!! Both my daughter & myself had to go to the courthouse & pick ours up.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#2]
you can carry in a restaurant that serves liquor, you just cant carry concealed. if in doubt concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
It came in the mail?!! Both my daughter & myself had to go to the courthouse & pick ours up.

Mike

Yup. When I went to the Alexandria police station to get fingerprinted, they refused to fingerprint me unless I had a stamped self-addressed envelope. Considering that the application fee was $50, you'd figure that they wouldn't sweat the 41 cents.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fairfax County mails them out in an SASE you are required to supply.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Tysons Mall (and therefore everything in it--AMC, food joints, etc...) is no go---it's posted and been beat to death here in the past---of course if you're carrying concealed nobody will know---open carry is definitely NOT ok...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
        Practical advice like that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I can also tell you from first hand experience that Dulles Towne Centre is a no go on open carry as well. I had a run in there last year.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fairfax County mails them out in an SASE you are required to supply.
Same for Prince William.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know the laws associated with having a CHL (no carrying in restaurants that serve liquor, etc), but am looking for some real-world advice.

1. I am neither a police officer (the person that would arrest you for suspicion of breaking a law), nor am I a judge or lawyer.

2. You cannot carry in locations clearly specified by state or federal law.  (If you get friendly advice from someone else on what the law is, I suggest you personally verify it. Many people are wrong.)

3. Don't carry where it's explicitly posted by the property owner.

4. If it's not in the law and not posted, carry.   DON'T saunter in, ask for the owner, and "beg permission from the king" to exercise your right to self-protection. In the vast majority of cases where people have relayed to me that a place was "no carry", it was because the person made an overt effort to find someone in authority and ask.  Why ask?  If it's not posted, it's not a problem.  If I don't see a sign posted, I don't typically ask the manager if my wife is allowed in the store.

5. Specific questions, post here.  The VA crew is a great group and most very knowledgeable.  Just remember #1 and 2.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Concealed means concealed.

_MaH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top