Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 4:31:24 AM EDT
I was on my way home to MD yesterday after noon, 30 Nov around 1:45 PM and got hung up in traffic going over the American Legion Bridge, there was an accident just about the MD line on the North bound side so everyone was gawking.  Suddenly I heard many sirens and looked in my side view mirror to see a crappy white, 4 door station wagon, maybe a Toyota, driving down the left shoulder at a HIGH rate of speed being chased by a marked Fairfax Co patrol car.
    Due to the patrol car running code 3 traffic was moving over so this gave the "driver" of the wagon room to switch lanes where he barely missed taking the front end off my Jeep.  As the wagon passed me there were 9 or more marked units followed by several unmarked Crown Vics as well.  The wagon side swiped a black Lexus coupe on the drivers side and tore the side view mirror off.
    Once the marked units got to the MD Line they all pulled over and I figured they caught the scumbag driver of the wagon, but when I got close enough I saw all the Farifax Co units were stopped but I didn't see the unmarked units.  
     Can anyone shed some light on this incident, did they catch the scumbag who was driving the wagon?  It had alot of rear end damage, not sure of the pursuing units tried to PITT the car or not..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure its a good idea for LEO to engage in high speed chases in crowded traffic.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. Nothing on the news or in the paper?

I'm not too swift on the idea of a chase through traffic either, but nobody asked me.

TR
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
To me, it depends on why they were chasing him. If it was for a busted tail light, get the tag and go visit them at home. If it was for something more serious, hit and run or an assault of some kind, then I expect them to go get there man. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
This was one time where the Officers running Code 3 worked against them, because drivers would hear the sirens and pull over to yield allow the dirtballs to have an avenue of escape.  The way the driver was operating his vehicle led me to believe he was wanted for far more then a simple traffic violation.
    But like I wrote, the unmarked units were not pulled over at the MD/VA line.  And, I saw a helicopter following, pretty sure it was not a news copter.  If they got the driver stopped in Montgomery Co that would have been bad for him.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably running his dog to the vets after being shot.  Since the dog was still alive, well, that's why the police were chasing him....to finish the job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To me, it depends on why they were chasing him. If it was for a busted tail light, get the tag and go visit them at home. If it was for something more serious, hit and run or an assault of some kind, then I expect them to go get there man. Just my .02 cents.

+1

IIRC, police have permission from the federal government to pursue a fleeing felon up to 1 mile into another state's jurisdiction.  From there, they either must be assisted by that jurisdiction's LE, or hand the chase over to them.

Might not be exactly 1 mile, but I do recall some sort of stipulation regarding cross-state line pursuits in the case of a fleeing felon...

As far as a misdemeanor goes, they can't pursue across state lines and, hell, they can only pursue about 300 yards or so into the neighboring county's jurisdiction.

Again, that's all just IIRC.

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The marked units stopped right at the MD/VA line.  Not sure where the unmarked units went.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top