Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 1:33:41 PM EDT
I am getting back in it after several years absent from the hunt. I just wanted to know what I might have missed in technique and gear since stepping out for a break. On a side note I am seriously considering something different like the
Knight TK-2000 for a little extra fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I hunt them with a .22,but basically just to kill them as nuisance critters,not really for sport.
They harass my chickens and pull up my seedling corn and herbs,so killing them is a pleasure.
I use an owl and some crow decoys,along with a caller to bring them in.
As with pretty much everything else,my best hunting is actually from a tree stand. I haven't tried ground blind hunting yet.

I'd love to hear any tips that folks have.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I like hunting them the same as other varmint hunting in fall.  Groundhog hunting hasn't produced much in the last few years, so I use the same calibers on crow.  I use a couple of T/Cs in 17 HMR, 17 Rem, 22-250, and 220 Swift with bipod or off portable rests.  If the shot is 150 yard or less, I use the HMR, and anything higher I use the centerfire calibers.  No preference on the centerfires, just what I feel like taking out.

I have the parts for a 204 Ruger AR upper, just need to find a gas block to fit the big barrel and finish it off.  That will be a fine varmint rig.

They swarm around what I call sand briers in the fall, and also cause this nuisance weed to spread.  I just wait for them to come in their flocks off/on during the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top