Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2006 3:06:30 PM EDT
Show Details:

The SGK gun show returns to the Virginia Beach Convention Center this weekend, Dec 30-31, 2006.  This show has almost tripled in size over the last few years.  It now features over 350 tables of vendors.  And remember, the city pistol permit has been abolished.  That means just fill out the federal and state forms and complete your purchase at the show.  If you haven't been to this show in a while, you will be pleasantly surprised:  more table, more vendors, better selection, (and no city permit required).  As always, use this email as a $1.00 off coupon for one admission.

Show hours are Sat. 9-5 and Sun. 10-4

Has anyone been to this before?...any good?  Thanks.

-Doc

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on my experience this show has been the weakest of all the local shows, especially since its been a long time established one.

However, I always go, mainly just to support local gun shows. I went last year and while it was an improvement over the last time I had attended 3 years before (military transferred out of the area), it was still a far cry from even the Hampton Shows.

I will go for sure, but I don't have any great expectations for the show. Hopefully, I will be surprised and this will be a great show.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I was planning to go but heard from a couple of friends that have gone the last few years that SGK shows were lame. Too many books, knives and beef jerky.

I'm now looking forward to the Hampton show in late Jan.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Based on my experience this show has been the weakest of all the local shows, especially since its been a long time established one.

However, I always go, mainly just to support local gun shows. I went last year and while it was an improvement over the last time I had attended 3 years before (military transferred out of the area), it was still a far cry from even the Hampton Shows.

I will go for sure, but I don't have any great expectations for the show. Hopefully, I will be surprised and this will be a great show.

will dark sun be there? i need a lower...
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... it was still a far cry from even the Hampton Shows.

Good intel.  Thanks.

I was wondering how these shows compared to other local shows.

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going Sunday.  Will be working at the VCDL table that morning.  I managed to get my wife to say she'll go.  Although it wouldn't suprise me if she bailed.  Not a morning person.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm going to drive 50 miles, I'll wait for the Richmond show in Jan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
will dark sun be there? i need a lower...

I don't know if they will be or not, but my guess is they will be. They were at the Norfolk Show (Scope) last year, so they do make it for the smaller shows. However, with the Richmond Show (13-14 Jan) and the Hampton Show (27-28 Jan) coming up so quickly they may wait for them.

You may want to call to find out: DARK SUN 804-272-3026
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the intel.  May scrub this show and attend the Jan. shows...unless I find out that they'll have deals on ammo .

-Doc
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the intel.  May scrub this show and attend the Jan. shows...unless I find out that they'll have deals on ammo .

-Doc

I don't know where you live, but if this isn't too far out of the way for you, I would go. This show will not get any better if the locals don't support it. Besides its going to rain this weekend and what's better than a gun show on a rainy day.

I am going with hopes vice expectations that it will be better than last year.

I will post Saturday night if I think the show has improved.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't know where you live, but if this isn't too far out of the way for you, I would go. This show will not get any better if the locals don't support it. Besides its going to rain this weekend and what's better than a gun show on a rainy day.

I am going with hopes vice expectations that it will be better than last year.

I will post Saturday night if I think the show has improved.

AO is in Chesapeake.  May as well attend then if inclement weather is being forcasted...I'll be bringing my NFA toys just in case ...can always make a "B-line" to the Camp Allen Range if I don't find what I'm looking for.

Cya there.

-Doc

ETA:  Mark (aka mfingar) - will you be there? Need to purchase more posters from you brother.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll be there for sure.  Oddly enough, though it never seems to be a great show, I always manage to do pretty well at them.  Every time I go, I find that one thing that I'm looking for, or some odd-ball thing I wasn't looking for, that never seems to make it to the other shows.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Good show but nothing compared to the Hampton shows.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Not as big as the other shows but that doesn't stop me from attending.  A great way to ring in the new year is buying a gun!  And I need ammo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be there around noon. I'll be wearing my arfcom shirt too!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got back and it was actually a big improvement over past years.

There were a number of the usual gun dealers there, Dale's Guns, Dark Sun, to name a few.

Georgia Arms was there as was Mac's Reloads. If I recall correctly Georgia Arms was asking $115 for 500 rounds of 5.56, but Mac's was selling theirs for $105 for 500.

It wasn't too bad, I am glad I went.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just got back and it was actually a big improvement over past years.

There were a number of the usual gun dealers there, Dale's Guns, Dark Sun, to name a few.

Georgia Arms was there as was Mac's Reloads. If I recall correctly Georgia Arms was asking $115 for 500 rounds of 5.56, but Mac's was selling theirs for $105 for 500.

It wasn't too bad, I am glad I went.

That's good to hear; thanks for the report, Bladerunner.  More gun shows & better gun shows = a good thing.

After my frustrating trip to Va Beach yesterday (2.5 hrs to drive 30 miles home), I wasn't about to go back over there today.  

Went to the range instead.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Not too bad of a show...quite surprised.  Picked up 500 rds of 5.56 for $105, a Galco Sky Op IWB holster for my CZ 40P, and a stripped RRA lower from Dark Sun.  Thunderbear Tactical had some interesting ARs and were demonstrating some new glass from Trij...wish I had some extra $$$ .

-Doc
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
It wasn't a bad gun and sock show.

I found several things I can live without but would wilingly spend money on if I had extra.  I might ponder on a couple of them overnight to decide if I go back and actually buy those.

Good ammo deals, I even got a .45 auto rim shell holder so I can start reloading .45AR for my S&W 1917.  I always wanted to try that out  just to play with.  If I do go back, I'll probably pick up some .45AR brass as well.

Not a bad show.  Not worth driving a long way, but worth going to if local.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was a good show as well, lot of good/decent prices on firearms.  Darksun had stag stripped lowers for 114, and RRA for 139.  the RG M855 that i saw was overpriced (179) but there were a lot of other good deals on ammo.  Not much wolf at all though, i think i saw a couple battle packs, thats IT.  also there was a dealer selling indian bandoleers of 308 as british RG for 20 bucks a bando, gave him a dirty look. all in all, a good show.

Also, who drives the black Dodge quad cab with the arfcom Boltface logo on the front bumper?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I went today.

I picked up a ammo tin.

Thunderbear Tactical, have some HIGH prices. I went to the last Hampton gunshow and one of the guys wanted to sell me a Leupold CQT for 800 bucks w/ a stock mount. WTF??? And it was used. All of thier prices were high, and I mean carack head high.

I saw the UTG rail system for the AK, an I though about buying it, but I know someone that is actually trying one out. I am waiting on a range report on the system.

Ammo prices sre high! The Armory here in VA Beach has a good seal on S&B .223 cases. <200 buck for 1000. Last month I paid around 175 something for S&B.

They had some high prices on Red Boxed SIGs...

Damn.

Not a bad show, but I have been to better...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Pretty good show, picked up a Walther P22 from Dark Sun yesterday
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up some 45acp from Georgia Arms.  Got a S&W Scandium Commander 1911 that was a demo model for $559.  Really happy with that.

Several very good deals that I didn't have the money for.  Beautiful Colt Diamondback for $595.  Armalite AR10 for $799.  S&W 1076 for $449.  CPO Sig GSR for $699.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top