Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:34:31 PM EDT
I'm moving to Chesapeake in June, and i'm going to be looking into applying to the various and sundry police departments in the area (VA beach, norfolk, chesapeake, suffolk, portsmouth, newport news, hampton roads).  My question is, are any of these departments hiring this summer? how are they to work in? pros/cons vs. other local departments, and would a guy with 3 years in the army as a combat engineer, w/ a tour of duty in Iraq, and 60+ college credits be competitive for hiring? thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not a LEO, but it appears Norfolk is hiring. However, your timing may be off. There appears to be an academy class that starts on 17 May. If your interested in working in Norfolk keep checking the police departments home page.

Norfolk Police Home Page

City of Norfolk Home Page (Employment)

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Hampton and NN are always hiring.Hampton starts at 38K but I think NN pays a little more. lots of folks come through HPD, serve a year and go off to FED jobs. They need cops...besides, I can hook you up with free coffee at my wifes store if you come to HPD...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Of the LE agencies in the area, look into Chesapeake and Virginia Beach first.  VBPD's academy is one of the best in the state (certainly not to denigrate the others, just going by what I hear in LE circles), and they're an excellent department.  I'm clear across the state, so I can't provide any current input other than a contact or two if you'd like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Chesapeake is currently in a hiring freeze. When that ends........
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Chesapeake is currently in a hiring freeze. When that ends........

any idea on why? or just for revenue/city purposes?  i imagine that there will be quite a few openings when the freeze ends though...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Suffolk PD may be hiring. There was a letter to the editor in this mornings Virginian Pilot from the Police Chief complaining the city council has underfunded the police budget not providing competitive wages compared to other local PD's.  He was lamenting a constant/steady loss of more experienced officers to higher paying PD's such as Virginia Beach.

Apparently Suffolk feels like they are the "farm club" for the rest of Tidewater.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top