Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 12:16:21 AM EDT
Anybody a member of this range?

quanticoshootingclub.com/

It looks like it might be a little bit of a hassle to get on the KD ranges when you want due to the RO rules, etc.  I'm curious to hear people's impressions of the place.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a member.  The most accessible ranges at Quantico are Range 1 (50-300yds) and Range 4 (1000yds) and the shotgun and competition outdoor pistol range.  Other can be used for 'training' events.  Actually range 305 is open on Sunday the 9th for carbine/pistol transition training.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm going sunday to a shotgun class there, just an intro thing to shotguns ad the facilities there.  Gonna try and get me a membership while I'm there, plus sight in my super sniper....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a class there last year. It's a nice little pistol range. It's a square range, and there is no equipment to run moving targets, and it has grass on the ground instead of the usual gravel. Don't drink the water out of the water pump, bring your own. A cooler is a good idea. There are porta johns located behind the range in case you have to go "Lock out a team of SEALS". If I remember right the head guys name is John, and he's a good guy, I think he is an active duty E-7. He teaches some classes, but there are some big name instructors that come to run classes too. You may have to stop shooting if the president comes on post though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, (having never been there) since it's on a military base, are there restrictions on weapons there?  (i.e., no carry of sidearms, everything locked in the trunk until you get to the range)  Most bases that I've been on (and most federal government facilities for that matter) are deathly afraid of firearms for some reason.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, (having never been there) since it's on a military base, are there restrictions on weapons there?  (i.e., no carry of sidearms, everything locked in the trunk until you get to the range)  Most bases that I've been on (and most federal government facilities for that matter) are deathly afraid of firearms for some reason.  

Transport Firearms and Ammunition Aboard Marine Corps Base, Quantico  

Marine Corps Base, Quantico (MCBQ) is a U.S. Military Installation and Federal law applies. Like all military installations, MCBQ takes force protection seriously and all personnel are subject to their rules and regulations. The Marines are very professional and do not interfere with those who follow the rules.

Firearms Transport rules are found in MCBQ Order 8000.1 and the Provost Marshall Standard Operating Procedure. This authority requires that all personnel ensure that:

# All firearms are CASED and UNLOADED
# A cased firearm must not be readily accessible in the vehicle
# Ammo must be as far away from a cased firearm as possible; ammo should be cased, if practicable, and not readily accessible
# All magazines must be unloaded

Prohibitions of Carrying Firearms or Weapons Open or Concealed onto Federal Installations

As with each citizen’s right to bear arms, there are limits when and where to bear arms. Extreme caution and prudent judgment must be used when deciding to carry a personal firearm or weapon so you must know the law. Virginia concealed carry permits DO NOT apply on MCBQ or any military installation. Before attempting to enter the military installation you must ensure you are in full compliance with the firearms transport rules.

The law involving carrying a firearm or weapon onto federal property is specific and clear. Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in federal facilities, buildings, or Installations is illegal and is in violation of Section 930, Title 18, United States Code. Law Enforcement personnel, when entering federal facilities, buildings and/or installations must identify themselves prior to entry if armed. Military reserve personnel whose civilian profession require the carrying of a weapon, openly or concealed, are not authorized to carry or bring their duty weapon on a federal installation, into a federal building, or facility. Full time civilian police officers performing drill, annual training, or while in support of an operation, may not bring their duty weapon, open or concealed, onto a federal installation, into a federal building, or facility. Unless the carrying of a concealed weapon is in support of a federal mission, or so directed, weapons will not be brought onto a federal installation, into a federal building or facility.

The following is a list of items that are listed as illegal and may not be carried onto a federal installation or into a federal facility or building.

* Firearms (of any type unless declared and cleared by the installation Provost Marshal)
   * Explosive Weapons
   * Machine Guns
   * Short Barrelled Firearms
   * Firearm Silencer
   * Switchblade Knives
   * Knuckles
   * Armor Piercing Ammunition
   * Chemical Dispensing Devices
   * Zip Guns
   * Clubs or Night Sticks
   * Illegal Knives

Source: Defense Link - http://www.defenselink.mil/

Consent to Search
Commanders of military installations, aircraft, or vessels may authorize personnel to conduct searches of persons or property upon entry to or exit from the installation, aircraft, or vessel. The justification for the search is the need to make sure the security, military fitness, or good order and discipline of the command is maintained. Any person and their property entering MCBQ is subject to search.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee, that sounds like an awful lot of hassle.  Since my job involves lots of time in federal facilities, I'm involuntarily disarmed during most the week anyway , so I suppose a little extra wouldn't be too bad if they have a decent range or some decent training classes held there.  

At least with most federal places there are armed guards in case anything goes south.  I still suspect I have more trigger time than most of them though, and that ain't saying much.  That doesn't mean I don't think it's a retarded rule though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That doesn't mean I don't think it's a retarded rule though.

You can think whatever you want, but if you drive onto a military reservation then you play by their rules.  The WTBN has the best ranges in the state -- be happy that the Marines graciously continue to allow civilians to use them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Amen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]
+1
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
jsut to be clear, that DOES say that I can't bring my knuckles onto the base?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
jsut to be clear, that DOES say that I can't bring my knuckles onto the base?

Sure, just hope you don't mind the nice L/Cpl at the front gate shoving them up yer ass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top