Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:35:25 AM EDT
My wife and I have been contemplating a move further west in the county to a home with 5-10 acres of land.  Does anyone know if the laws here would permit me to shoot on my own property assuming a proper backstop, etc?

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I recall seeing discussions on this...  I believe certain areas are ok and some aren't.  I'd try to contact the sheriff office or local police to see if they have any ideas.

Also, depends on if you move into a development which might have home owners associations....  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recall seeing discussions on this...  I believe certain areas are ok and some aren't.  I'd try to contact the sheriff office or local police to see if they have any ideas.

Also, depends on if you move into a development which might have home owners associations....  

Thanks.  Yeah, our next home purchase will purposefully not have an HOA (Which stands for "Hitlers Own Agents").  

I'll give the Sheriff's office a call I guess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
bump - but we too would like to move west too.. so i have a self interest on this thread

Hey, maybe we can have 2-3 arfcomers get adjacent 5-10 acre properties  - we'll end up with potentially 30 acres where we can shoot undisturbed! Dunno where you are with you property search...  but something to think about

DD
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
bump - but we too would like to move west too.. so i have a self interest on this thread

Hey, maybe we can have 2-3 arfcomers get adjacent 5-10 acre properties  - we'll end up with potentially 30 acres where we can shoot undisturbed! Dunno where you are with you property search...  but something to think about

DD

That would be fantastic!  We've been looking primarily in the Purcellville area (but not as far as Hillsboro which is a LONG drive to get back into the Sterling area where we currently live/work).  We've found some really nice properties with between 5 and 10 acres.  Some of the properties we've found though are literally 5 acre "lawns" which are flat with no trees and with other houses on multiple sides.  To get something that is a little less "suburban feeling", you really have to go quite a bit further west out towards Hillsboro and I just can't see making that commute on a regular basis.  My wife is a real-estate agent with Weichert Realtors and has access to MRIS, "The big database of property", so the search is still on.  I'll keep you in mind if we find something good.  (And if/when you get ready to move and if you need an agent, let me know )
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
684.06 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.
(a) (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain
hunting activities provided herein, in the following area of the County:

The area within a line following State Route 620 (Braddock
Road) from the boundary with Fairfax County west to its
intersection with State Route 659, then along State Route 659
north to its terminus at State Route 7, then following State Route
7 west to the corporate limits of the Town of Leesburg, then
following the corporate limit line of the Town of Leesburg north
and west to the Potomac River, then east along the Potomac
River boundary with Maryland to the Fairfax County line, then
southwest along the Fairfax County line to its intersection with
State Route 620.
(2) Nothing herein shall prohibit the following hunting activities with firearms,
subject to other applicable laws and regulations:
A. Deer hunting with handguns, shotguns or muzzle-loading rifles using a
single projectile; or
B. All other hunting with rifles of .22 caliber rimfire or less, handguns,
shotguns and muzzle-loading rifles using single or multiple projectiles.

(b) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or
secondary system of State roads.
(c) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school.
Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or State park or forest or wildlife
management area.
(d) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current
occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.
(e) This section does not apply to the following actions:
(1) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a lawfully established target, trap or
skeet range;
(2) The discharge of firearms by any duly authorized peace officer or law
enforcement official acting in the proper performance of his or her duties;
(3) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a target range operated by any police
department or other law enforcement agency;
(4) Any discharge of firearms in defense of one's life or to kill a dangerous or
destructive wild animal;
(5) The discharge of blank cartridges in theatrical performances or sporting events or
at military funerals or other military affairs; and
(6) A managed hunt to control the deer population under the supervision of the
Federal, State, or local law enforcement or game management officials.
(Ord. 01-02. Passed 4-16-01.)

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
659 is belmont ridge road, which roughly parallels to the east of route 15 through the county (maybe very roughly)

Make sure you check for an HOA. I have 30+ acres with a no shooting HOA covenant.  I got around that by buying neighboring land, but that is no longer an affordable option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That would be fantastic!  We've been looking primarily in the Purcellville area (but not as far as Hillsboro which is a LONG drive to get back into the Sterling area where we currently live/work).  We've found some really nice properties with between 5 and 10 acres.  Some of the properties we've found though are literally 5 acre "lawns" which are flat with no trees and with other houses on multiple sides.  To get something that is a little less "suburban feeling", you really have to go quite a bit further west out towards Hillsboro and I just can't see making that commute on a regular basis.  My wife is a real-estate agent with Weichert Realtors and has access to MRIS, "The big database of property", so the search is still on.  I'll keep you in mind if we find something good.  (And if/when you get ready to move and if you need an agent, let me know )

deffinitely keep me in mind bro. I live in South Riding and use to work in DC. But now that i work in Reston - we can contemplate moving out further. The only requirement is that we need a 1 story home this time around - or a home with a first floor master - as we have family accessiblity issues. Hillsboro is "out" there, but with real estate as it is in this area - i can understand it.
DD
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(a) (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain

State Route 620.
(2) Nothing herein shall prohibit the following hunting activities with firearms,
single projectile; or

(b) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or
(c) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school.
Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or State park or forest or wildlife
management area.
(d) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current
(1) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a lawfully established target, trap or
skeet range;
(3) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a target range operated by any police
(4) Any discharge of firearms in defense of one's life or to kill a dangerous or
destructive wild animal;
(5) The discharge of blank cartridges in theatrical performances or sporting events or

Thanks for this Slanted.  So if I interpret this correctly, if I buy property that is 'outside the box' described in a(1), and I'm not shooting within 50 yards of a primary/secondary road, 100 yards of a school or park and my HOA doesn't prohibit it, I'm ok to shoot on my own property.  Sound like an accurate summation to you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

deffinitely keep me in mind bro. I live in South Riding and use to work in DC. But now that i work in Reston - we can contemplate moving out further. The only requirement is that we need a 1 story home this time around - or a home with a first floor master - as we have family accessiblity issues. Hillsboro is "out" there, but with real estate as it is in this area - i can understand it.
DD

Will do.  We've come across several nice single-levels and first-floor master suite houses during our searches.  I'll send some links your way if we come across them or others again.  It's really beautiful out that way.  I grew up in Boulder, CO, and I miss something resembling mountains (even though the hills of VA are not too outstanding compared to the Rockies.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested too. I've been lookign off and on for several months to pick up acrage. Everything I have seen so far has been pretty expensive per acre.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

State Route 620.
single projectile; or

management area.
skeet range;
destructive wild animal;

Thanks for this Slanted.  So if I interpret this correctly, if I buy property that is 'outside the box' described in a(1), and I'm not shooting within 50 yards of a primary/secondary road, 100 yards of a school or park and my HOA doesn't prohibit it, I'm ok to shoot on my own property.  Sound like an accurate summation to you?

You are correct.  The only other thing I would be concerned about is the 'box' growing in the future.  However, I would be surprised to see it west of 15.  When it was first proposed there was little opposition.  A few years back there was talk about no shooting with 300' of a property line.  This was quickly dropped when it was pointed out that everyone would be shooting from the center of the property towards the neighbors!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
"...everyone would be shooting from the center of the property towards the neighbors!"

Might have advantages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top