Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
Ok I live with my parents for now I am saving up for my own place but right now that's where I live. I plan to submit the paperwork for a CHP shortly, but my step dad is concerned that if I was carrying a gun (with permit) in my car or wherever and it went off and hit someone that he could be sued. I told him I didn't think this was possible since the car is in my name as is the insurance policy for my car and it would be a criminal charge levied against me in that situation. I could be criminally and civilly liable but I don't see how my parents could be just because I live with them. I am 24 and file my own taxes (not a dependant under them). Thanks for any help you can shed on this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
you are 24 years old, you are your own man accountable for your actions.  It does not matter where you live or even if the car isn't in your name(I carry no matter whose car I was in, wether they knew or not that I was carrying) You pull the trigger, you are responsible.  Especially because
you are of legal age your parents would be in no way responsible for a shooting should it occur and I don't know a criminal prosecutor that could pin a charge on them.  When i got out of the military I picked up a CHP permit and lived at home awhile only thing different for my folks was the fact that their address was associated with my CHP.  Only part I could see where the step-dad/parents could get involved would be if the firearms belonged to them and not the CHP holder.

Not an issue, unfortunately sounds more like a 'don't like guns issue', because in all reality why do your parent need to know of your CHP?  Last time I filed for a CHP there wasnt a block that required homeowners permission.  May be wrong but only time I have ever seen something about homeowners permission was for a FFL/SOT application.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They're not concerned about criminal charges but criminal liability if there was an eventual lawsuit. I don't see any legal premise for them possibly being linked. I said I thought the only way they could be held liable for my actions was if the event occured on their property. They could then be named as a second party on the lawsuit but I think that would fall under homeowner's liability insurance. Thanks again for your help. I would post this on packing.org but their site is down for me right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok I live with my parents for now I am saving up for my own place but right now that's where I live. I plan to submit the paperwork for a CHP shortly, but my step dad is concerned that if I was carrying a gun (with permit) in my car or wherever and it went off and hit someone that he could be sued. I told him I didn't think this was possible since the car is in my name as is the insurance policy for my car and it would be a criminal charge levied against me in that situation. I could be criminally and civilly liable but I don't see how my parents could be just because I live with them. I am 24 and file my own taxes (not a dependant under them). Thanks for any help you can shed on this.

I don't see how he might have any liability. Whose car are you driving?  Yours or his?  If it is your car, and your insurance, it would be your responsibility.  Could you ask him to elaborate on why he thinks he might be liable?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Would there be any legal aspects because he is living in his fathers house?

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It's possible, but unlikely.  Someone suing might seek joint and several liability with the father, or assert that the son is still a dependent over whom the parents had control. . . .

I can't think of any VA-specific claims, but understand that I'm not licensed in VA, I just live here.  I practice in the District.  For a tort, you would need to prove: 1). duty; 2). breach; 3). causation; and 4). damages.  The discussion above addresses duty and I'm not sure that the father has one.  Others may see differently or be more creative than I am.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, the car is in my name, insurance poilicy in my name. I have a full time job and am not a dependant. My step dad is just a little paranoid and a little anti gun. The only way that I see he could be liable would be w/ something occuring on his property. Thanks again for all the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top