Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 5:13:58 PM EDT
If I buy a gun in North Carolina and have it sent to an FFL in VA does he get to charge me VA sales tax?? I thought sales tax was at the point of sale being NC and since I'm not a resident of that state I don't pay it. I haven't gotten anything yet but I have my eye on a few things and there's an FFL in my zip code that charges sales tax. Just wanted to know if that was the norm. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm Yes, there are....

members.cox.net/hpcc19/deal.htm
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have sales tax in NC.  The VA dealer should only charge you for a transfer 'service' (whatever they charge) and it shouldn't be taxed as services aren't taxed.  There is also a $2 VA 'insta-check' fee.  At VA Arms we charge a flat $20 for transfers (the $2 in already figured into to it).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The reseller in NC should collect any sales tax based on NC's tax code just as a seller in VA will collect sales and use tax here, you MAY be required to pay a Consumer Use Tax on that transaction if it meets certain guidlines, see VA Dept of Taxation.  Right now, VA resellers should be collecting sales and use tax on any "handling"  service if you charge for "handling" as part of a shipping and handling service according to information received from VA State Dept of Taxation, call them don't flame me, it's in the code. Their Phone # 804-367-8037

I ONLY charge a $10 fee to transfer tittle I firearms, $2 VA NICS fee included!  No handling required!

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Look in your VA state tax package.
There is no escaping the sales tax.
While the NC guy is not collecting since you are out of state, and the VA guy is not collecting since he is only doing a transfer, you are supposed to declare and pay the use tax to VA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Hallmark, do you have a store front in Mid?  Ben, I am just curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top